Handle design test

Met a knifer at a bar last night. The guy's into martial arts training and carries an auto stryker.

Here's the test he described to me.

Take a can of 30W auto motor oil, open your knife and drop it in the oil. Then try some manuevers and see if you can hang on to it.

The logic behind this is that the viscousity of the oil is about the same as that for
blood.

Just thought I would pass it on.

BTW, he say's he can maintain his grip on the auto stryker during this test.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

My standard test is to use liquid soap. I don't know how well soap approximates oil, I just know that leaving soap drips around doesn't get me in trouble, whereas leaving oil drips around would make the wife a touch irritated. Testing the handle under slippery conditions is way underrated, it is *definitely* not done enough. Actually, that applies to me, too: slippery handle testing is standard for my fixed-blade tests, but I haven't been doing it for folders. I'll add that in next.

Oh yeah guys, don't forget the slash-resistant gloves when doing this!

joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Thanks for the info and suggestion! I think I would rather use the oil myself as after cleaning if a bit is left in the knife or mechanism of an auto no harm would be done. Not sure about soap but Joe knows more than me when it comes to testing.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

What sort of maneuvers would you recommend practicing with the slippery grip? Slashes and thrusts in the air or would you do live cutting. Live cutting and slashing drills would definitely call for the slash resistant gloves. Will the gloves give a realistic grip compared to bare handed?

Axel

Axel, good point.

If you use gloves you nullify the test since you won't be wearing them in a real situatuon.

And slashing the air is not as good a test as striking or slashing a test dummy. While this method is less than comprehensive I would prefer it. It would give you some idea of the effectiveness of your grip.

If you want test stiking test material without gloves there two options; intentionally dulling the edge with a file or taping the edge with duct tape. These methods are used by balisong users while practicing new opening techniques.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

[This message has been edited by RKnight (edited 11 February 1999).]

Ron,

I actually have a dulled AFCK and a custom dull bladed Crawford KFF training folder with which I do impact work.

I haven't tried the soap or oil yet. I hesitate to do that indoors. My wife would kill me.

Axel

She probably would. And with YOUR knife. All the more reason to dull your blade.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

I slash and stab, starting without the gloves, and starting very softly. I increase power little by little, and see how firm things remain. Try different hand positions for sure.

As I work up to hard strokes or as I feel things slipping, I'll put the gloves on.

Mike -- that's a good point about the oil, if you don't clean it all up some remains at the pivot, who cares? I do feel soap comes off easy, though. In fact, I often wash my carry folders in soap and water and give 'em a good scrub, never found any problems from soap film eating away any delicate parts. At least not yet!

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Back