Handle Finishes

Being a new member to this forum, and new to knife making. I would like to start out by refinishing a couple kitchen knife handles.

What finishes would be safe to use on these knives?

aquamanlr

Show us some pics or tell us what type of handle you want to refinish it would be a great help.

They are just a couple of kitchen knives that we use alot.
The handles are wood, maybe oak.

Thank You for the response

aquamanlr

depending on their condition, how you treat them, and the method in which the handles are attached, you have several options.
essentially it comes down to a light sanding, and then a finishing- mineral oil, tung oil, polyurethane, etc.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

attachment.php

All those mentioned by xxguitarist are fine. They are safe to use around food because the knife handle isn;t in contact with the food, at least not often enough for any concern. Polyurethane will be the most resistant and durable. None of them will last long in the dishwasher.....wash by hand and try not to soak wooden handles, however they are finished. Be prepared to refinish them every few years or every so often, when they need it. Teak is often used for knife handles, but the woods vary by maker. Danish oil (which includes polymers) would also be good to add to the list.

Thanks again for the response.

I think that I will do one of the oils on the first one.

aquamanlr

I would like to say Thanks, for the suggestions on finishes. I went with Tung oil.
I lightly sanded the handles and then put on 3 coats of Tung oil, buffing them lightly between coats.

I like Tung oil, it is easy to work with.

Thanks again.

aquamanlr

Back