Handle Logo Inlay

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Pressure-Welder, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Pressure-Welder

Pressure-Welder

Dec 14, 2019
    Hello all, I started making custom knives in 1994. I have been away from it for a few years, however I'm going to be getting back into it shortly for friends and family in my "spare time".

I am thinking about doing a small run, 20-30 identical knives for my group of co-workers. I am thinking about insetting the company logo into the handle. I'm wondering how to go about this. Getting an aprox .5" x 1.25" logo made so I can inset it and fill it over. Anybody have a company in mind that can make such a logo in painted plastic. Or even silver etc. Thanks for looking!!

2. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i have not heard of that but most trophy shops do engraving.

3. DAMNENG

DAMNENG

Dec 17, 2005
    Have you consider having the handles laser engraved?

4. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    [​IMG]
    I use a scroll saw to cut out the picture and then use turquoise inlace from Crafts Supply to fill in.

Nick Dunham and Hengelo_77 like this.
  5. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    Have you thought about contacting a company that makes lapel pins? A lapel pin with the protrusions cut off the back sounds like just what you want.

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Several ways:
    If you are inlaying a medallion ( logo on a shaped piece of metal) use a template and a micro-router. A parser is the old school version of the same thing.
    If you have access to a small CNC router, you can set it to cut the exact pocket.
    A laser can cut the pocket sides and cut lines that make removing the extra wood simple.

The worst way to do it is by hand. For a one-off, it will work if you are experienced with a flex shaft and small carbide burrs, but it is extremely hard to get an exact fit by hand 30 times in a row.

Nick Dunham likes this.
  7. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
  8. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Contact a company like Mental Co and have them print you handle material with the logo already there. https://mentalco.myshopify.com/collections/pre-order

I heard somewhere (probably facebook) about a person that 3D prints a base, then fills with an acrylic resin to make handle slabs. That could also be done with a logo.

Coy Ranch likes this.
  9. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    You might also consider a stencil for etching, you could etch the logo on the blade or maybe in the butt cap of the handle.