handle material for curves - epoxy filled?

I have an idea for a forged blade where the handle will have a curve or curves.
Bear with me on this...

Is there a handle material that can be formed and suitable for a non-flat surface?
epoxy filled something?

thanks

You want to form the handle material around your forged tang?

You could use carbon fiber cloth. I believe you layer it similar to fibreglass.

I'm unsure what sort of curves would work well with epoxy and wouldn't work with wood, G10, aluminum, etc. Could you explain more what the problem is?

Epoxy is a somewhat brittle resin. You can do a lot with it, but it is not an ideal material on its own.

I have only ever used fiberglass cloth in repairing my canoe, and on my dad's motorcycle fairing. That's too ugly for a knife though... I've never used fiberglass cloth but I believe the process is the same.

If you google fiberglass cloth kit, you will find some YouTube videos on the subject.

H I've done a fair amount. The biggest problem will be clean up and getting it to look nice. You would definitely want to vacuum bag it. I have no doubt it would be durable.

If it were me I would buy a roll of 1 or 2" wide weave, and wrap with the twist after wetting it out. 2 or 3 layers. Vacuum bag and let it cure. Coat everything you don't want epoxy on with wax to make cleanup easier. You won't be able to wipe it down with acetone like you would with scales. I built a canoe paddle shaft this way. I'll look and see if I have any left over. Maybe enough for you to try a sample piece to see how it will work for you.

You could mould hdpe blanks to fit your handle using maybe two silicone moulds or whatever (bear with me on this one please, it's a little out there) after the initial blanks come out, use them as spacers that'll fit snugly on your tang and just epoxy some micarta on top of it like we do normally.. So you'll have a micarta outside with a moulded spacer that fits exactly onto your tang.

Conflict breeds creativity

If you wanted to take a forged in twist like that and cover it with something that preserves the shape, I would use resin or epoxy soaked strips of very thin cotton fabric. This will be more pliable to wrap than carbon or glass fiber, comes in colors and is less nasty to grind. This would be making "micarta" in situ. Pull it tight as you go and wipe off the excess epoxy, then sand it when it is completely set up.

Alternately, you could simply skip twisting the metal, wrap the handle in micarta and grind it into a spiral with a dremel. You could get more dramatic results because you would be grinding through layers of cloth, which could be done with alternating colors.

Otherwise, if you want to make a twist handle knife handle a little more hand friendly, cast the whole thing in some sort of clear casting resin, grind it into a pleasing shape, then finish it to a gloss that is crystal clear to the twisted metal inside:

d160844699729380fd82124093edbbff.jpg

It seems to me that he wants to fill the low spots on the twist with something, so that the handle is solid with the edges of the steel showing.
There isn't much that I can think of that would fill and adhere at the same time. There are black/grey epoxy putties, but I think adhesion would be a problem.

RX-79G has a good idea, with the casting epoxy. I would dye the resin a dark color and cast the handle in it. After it cures, you could grind it down until the edges are exposed.

It seems to me that he wants to fill the low spots on the twist with something, so that the handle is solid with the edges of the steel showing.

RX-79G has a good idea, with the casting epoxy. I would dye the resin a dark color and cast the handle in it. After it cures, you could grind it down until the edges are exposed.

Yes exactly.

I'll look into the casting epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a curved surface is to be given a grip, the best way id to wrap it in leather, cord, or other wrapping material. Para-cord wrapped tight and then impregnated with epoxy is rock solid and looks great.

I know a guy who uses epoxy soaked leather and hemp to fill contours and wrap curved handles... His blades are as handsome and rugged as he is.:cool::thumbup:

It s very easy to work ............. this is carbon tow over wood .Currently I m working on a hidden tang handle /take of type/ from carbon tow, no wood.

345eadh.jpg

9zyv4l.jpg

I know a guy who uses epoxy soaked leather and hemp to fill contours and wrap curved handles... His blades are as handsome and rugged as he is.:cool::thumbup:

Can u refer me? I hope he's Canadian :)
U know I used to live in Toronto
Wonder if I can renew my citizenship ....

It s very easy to work ............. this is carbon tow over wood .Currently I m working on a hidden tang handle /take of type/ from carbon tow, no wood.

345eadh.jpg

9zyv4l.jpg

How do You cure it? Harden it
I need to learn more about this.

Back