Handle Materials

Bob Taylor

Platinum Member
What is your perfered materials and colors.
1. G-10 and not just black we can get Green, Blue, Tan and Red
2. Aluminum with the same weight or less than G-10 various colors.
3. Micarta all diffrent Colors.

We are looking at making more varied handles and would appricate the feed back. This will be included in all our folders. I for one am tired of black on everything.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Bob, in all honesty, of the handle materials you mentioned, the ones I like are: g-10, aluminum, and micarta. In other words, if it makes economic sense to do so, do 'em all! And in different colors too, just keep the clips black.

The advantages in my opinion of each:

micarta: The prettiest and classiest-looking, period. Every company should have at least one or two micarta models, especially for dressier knives. A useful "gentleman's tactical" knife is a natural for micarta. And a knife I bet you guys can do really well Bob. Have you thought about a knife that looks gentlemanly but has the edge geometry and ergonomics to still be reasonable in a backup defense role?

Aluminum: Very strong, and the grip is reasonable if the handle is grooved/textured right. I love the chalky texture on the BM Axis with aluminum handles, but some other people don't.

G-10: The main attraction here for me has been that g-10 is still very strong, but lighter than aluminum. However, I noticed that the aluminum Axis is actually lighter than the g-10 Axis. Since aluminum is stronger than g-10, if it's true that aluminum knives can also be made lighter, then I don't have as much use for g-10 anymore. It comes in nice colors that don't scratch off, that's a plus for it I guess.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 23 April 1999).]

I know I'm boring but:

material: textured G-10 then textured aluminum and last micarta.

color: Black and satin

If aluminum can be the same weight as G-10 and textured, I may put it up with G-10 on my list. There is just something more grippy about G-10 than slick steel.

Ken

Bob,

Didn't realize you had this thread here as well as in the General Forum. Bottom line is that you've gotten a lot of responses there. Mine is there too
smile.gif
!

Bob

Mr. Taylor,
My preferences would lean towards micarta in colors, textured G-10 then aluminum.

Lately, my preference is for colored G-10 handles. I would love to see a REKAT folder with blue and green G-10 handles.

I have recently purchased a Kit Carson Model 4 with forest green G10 scales and I love it. Not only is it a great knife, but the green scales make it much better looking.

I find that not only does the G10 wear better than Micarta, but it affords a much better non-slip grip when wet.

I would like to see more colors in knives. Black is great for a tactical look, but it is also very intimidating to some people. The colors soften the appearance of the knife for many folks-in my opinion. This makes it more acceptable when pulling it out in some circles. It is all about choice.
smile.gif

Daniel

Well...I don't have a REKAT yet, but I want a Poineer II Swept, stone washed blade in 6 weave G10. -R

------------------
- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

Back