Handle Palm Swell

I debated a bit about whether to post this or not. Though, what the heck, might as well.

While messing around with my FK2 and America 2.0, I noticed something interesting. The profile of the handles between the two knives are quite similar (even along the spine of the knives up to the pommel).

gav8bVG.jpeg

However, I much prefer the America 2.0 handles and that seems to be mainly due to the location of the palm swell (scale thickness are also surprisingly comparable).

x7nhL1a.jpeg

When using the two knives side by side, my hands are less fatigued with handle of America 2.0. I notice that because the FK2 scales taper towards the ricasso (and the index finger groove), there's a slight void that's created and my hands automatically tense more trying to grasp onto something that's not there. With the America 2.0, because the palm swell is more forward and there's more handle, I can relax my grip a little when doing a straight down push cut.

Now, I know that the CPK crew didn't see any additional benefits with more palm swell in this post. I agree with that sentiment. Though, I believe the comfort of the FK2 can be improved by extending the palm swell (really maintaining the scale thickness at its widest all the way up to the front of the scale). It got me thinking a little bit more about the FK2 design in general. In the same post about more palm swell, Nathan implied that the FK2 is kind of a "bushcrafty" knife. As a field/bushcraft knife, I feel that the index finger groove robs the handle of much needed real estate towards the front of the handle, closer to the edge, where one can put the most power in a push cut. For a fighting knife (like the DEK1), having an index finger groove makes sense and can serve as an indexing point since you don't want your hand too far foward or too far back; on a bushcraft knife, not so much. With that in mind, I mocked up the below profile (excuse the simplicity, was a quick drawing).
cUTsVk3.png

So, what do ya'll think? FK3, anyone? I think people with larger hands might also appreciate a little more handle towards the front of the knife.

I think that's why I also prefer the BFK 5 just a bit more than the FK2. The reduced contouring makes the BFK 5 just a bit more comfortable than the FK2. Though, at least for me, I still wish the finger groove wasn't there.

I understand that the CPK crew has a lot projects currently, though, any chance of getting a set of scales made for the FK2 where the palm swell is maintained up to the ricasso?

Test your theory with some grip tape on your fk2?

I think this is definitely a "to each his own" moment. I've spent - possibly - as much time fixating on the details of CPK knife handles as just about anyone, and a few other brands as well. I don't say that to brag, more of a confession of how weird I am. I've made custom scales for them as a hobby for awhile so I think I have a fair appreciation for the sublet nuances if each one.

CPK handles are amazing for their multi-grip versatility. I also think Nathan has a philosophy that the best, most sure grip comes from the handle shape first and foremost, then by texture and material choice. I'd wager CPK handles have as much time and thought into them as the whole rest of the knife.

Your idea is interesting and you clearly have put some thought into it. It would be interesting to fit a thicker set with the swell more front loaded for a comparison. But you be in a very limited group who might want that.

Back