Handle Problem - G10 vs Micarta

My current "EDC" fixed blade is a Bark River Bravo 1, with a micarta handle. After using it a bunch lately, I noticed that the top section of the handle is seperated from the steel, just enough to see light inbetween.

Now I'm wondering what the cause is, if micarta is prone to warping or something. I am positive BRKT will take care of it, but, if they give me the option of replacing the micarta with another handle material, should I get G10 instead of micarta to avoid this in the future?

The problem isn't with the material but with the assembly.

Phenolic resin laminate is very stable.

Yeah, the problem is not the micarta. It is very dimensionally stable and will not warp as you've described. G10 is indeed somewhat more stable because it uses glass cloth rather than cotton/paper, but you shouldn't really be able to see an obvious performance difference.

I have a Bravo 1 that I've beat on pretty good and it is fine.

They make hundreds of knives a day and that one might have missed the cleaning prep stage where they remove any oil or dust.

If the parts aren't clean the epoxy wont bond.

Send it in and they will take care of it.

Not sure how Bark River does their handle scales, probably CNC machine to shape and flatten the scales then attached to the blade with out the use of epoxy. The tooling marks left by the cnc process could let a little light under the scales if held exactly right.
If by chance they cnc to shape then attach and finish sand the scales it is possibly for the dust created to seep into the space behind the scales and block any light that might be seen passing by until something knocks or washes it out.
Since no epoxy was used moisture can and will get behind the scalles causing corrosion if your knife is carbon steel.
Other than that the disadvantage is cosmetic which you have to decide if you can live with or not.
Personally, those knives are not cheap, especially for a production blade. I would at the very least let them know about the problem.
Both surfaces the blade tang, and the back of the scales have to be perfectly mated to ensure a tight fit which is why I enjoy making knives.

Back