handle protection

I'm asking this because the people on this forum seem to know a lot about axes and I do not. I just got a wood stove and have to split a lot of wood to feed it. Too cheap to pay someone else to do it. Since I am not experienced, I tear up the part of the handle right behind the blade. What can I put on it to decrease damage? Duct tape does not strike me as a good solution. I have a sledge hammer that has a piece of plastic there. Is there a similar product for axes or is the only solution to get better at using the ax?

A solution we used around the farm was to wrap thin steel wire around the haft in two layers and coat in poly or epoxy.

This will not save you from damage by overstrikes but will help with split wood gouging your handle.

Bill

Also, yes, they have a black rubber guard that you can purchase from your local hardware store. It will need to be heated and/or oiled to fit it on the handle, but they slide from the bottom of the handle up to the bottom of the head. Not easily, but they do. Caution: I put one on once that simply wouldn't fit over a more oval handle I used. I couldn't get it back off and it had to be cut off. So once they are on, they're usually on really well.

I use my old road bike inner tubes I layer as many as I can over each other.

Leather stitched on the back usually works well and is easily replacable/removable.

Just remember to wet it before stitching it in place tight and it will shrink and tighten even more when it dries.

Last edited:
These will help reduce shock on your overstrikes and aid in reducing handle breakage to some extent while you're learning your range and developing accuracy. You can still break a handle if you're really putting muscle into it so be forewarned. Once you know what you're doing you'll find that they get in the way on deep splits or when prying. Warm them up for about 10 minutes in very hot water and use a lot of soap to help get them on.

http://awesometools.com/handlesavers-handle-savers.asp

Back