Recommendation? Handle scale removal

Travis Talboys

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have this knife that I am unhappy with the handle, and I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove epoxied scales without ruining the blade. The material is alumilite with fiber liners, with SS pins. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

Drill out the pins (if you can grind both sides of the scales flat, it will be easier). Use a heat gun to heat up the tang until the epoxy gives. You should be able to pop the scales off with a knife.

If you drill out the pins, make sure to absolutely cover up the blade and clamp the knife so it won't move, preferably in a drill press vise. Nothing as fun as a whirling blade of death when you don't expect it (though you really should've).

Heat the whole knife to 250F, then drive the pins out with a punch, and peel off the scales.

If it’s quick setting epoxy you can drill the pins, wrap the blade, hold the knife by the blade and smack the handle on bench top. They should pop off. Once I switched to g-flex this handle removal process didn’t work anymore.

put it in the oven at 250F and heat for 30 minutes. It will smell a bit, BTW. When you take it out you can pry the scales off, or punch the rivets out and pry them off.

I just use a bandsaw tape off the blade. Grind off the little bit left ,switch to finer grits for final clean up.

Last edited:
Back