Handle scale stopping before finger guard

deerrockknives

Only thing I’m sure about, I know nothing for sure
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey folks,

Got a quick question I’ve been wondering for awhile and couldn’t seem to find it on the forums already.

I have wondered why on some knives, the handle scale stops far short of the finger guard. A good example of this is this spyderco bow river (see pic). To me, when holding a knife like this in a pinch grip (which you often do in a game type knife) your thumb and index finger are just pinching the blade portion and not the scale. Of course your remaining 3 fingers wrap around the scales. I guess I just wonder why not bring the scale much further up (see pic #2). Thanks for any insight.

F08B9F7E-7097-4122-A465-9747FF933C1C.jpeg

CD0B9830-82F2-4D23-8489-59F3BB8DBFC2.jpeg

I have always preferred the second example myself. I found the other to be uncomfortable. I think some people do it on handles that lack much of a guard and use the space where finger could go as a buffer zone between your handle and the blade. I think others like the look. On some blades the handle scale extending so far would look a little odd. Maybe someone else can chime in with some better input.

The first one doesn’t have a guard. It had a finger choil. I don’t care for it either.

Just two different styles. Nice to have options. Buy ones you like.

I almost never put my thumb on the spine of the blade, regardless if blade have suitable area, jimping or not.
I was given the same Spyderco knife that I'm using every day in the kitchen, outstanding little blade but I never hold it the way op shows.

It seems to be fashion.

I have one knife with a finger choil on the blade and I don't like it; it serves no useful purpose for my knife usage, and it has the practical disadvantage of reducing the length of the cutting edge and getting hung up on material I'm cutting. I much prefer your second example. I also don't like the idea of hanging onto metal when there is already a handle on the knife. Such are my preferences.

I’m not so much wondering about the pros and cons of finger choils or guards. I know about that, more why the scale stops short (whether it has a choil or guard). I also prefer #2. To me it just seems weird to stop the scale short of the usable handle length. Here’s another example. Just leaves your thumb hanging uncomfortably/abruptly off the scale.

79A1B24B-A07E-4985-BFD2-EFB5768F0F15.jpeg

Hey folks,

Got a quick question I’ve been wondering for awhile and couldn’t seem to find it on the forums already.

I have wondered why on some knives, the handle scale stops far short of the finger guard. A good example of this is this spyderco bow river (see pic). To me, when holding a knife like this in a pinch grip (which you often do in a game type knife) your thumb and index finger are just pinching the blade portion and not the scale. Of course your remaining 3 fingers wrap around the scales. I guess I just wonder why not bring the scale much further up (see pic #2). Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 1640421

View attachment 1640422

I can see your point, and personally I too prefer the second photo from your first post, where a good sharpening choil is present with minimum ricasso before an effective guard.

My only wild guess is knife maker might be doing that to shorten the length of the handle--it's kinda like Tuff from Cold Steel or Chaparral from Spyderco, which both only have a 3 finger grip handle, but with a good full choil overlapping blade and handle, they offer a good comfortable 4 fingers grip.

Hey folks,

View attachment 1640421

View attachment 1640422

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the defining characteristic of a pinch grip that you pinch the blade (not the handle) between your thumb and index finger? You don't want to be pinching the scales since that's not ergonomic, you want it thin. The pinch grip also adds control because you're better able to index a flat surface than a rounded one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the defining characteristic of a pinch grip that you pinch the blade (not the handle) between your thumb and index finger? You don't want to be pinching the scales since that's not ergonomic, you want it thin. The pinch grip also adds control because you're better able to index a flat surface than a rounded one.
I get what you’re saying, but if the scales are fairly thin/flattish I find it more comfortable. Just pinching the blade I find to be a little too thin. Plus you have your thumb hanging off half the scale which I find awkward.

Some makers blend the two, for instance, with both my Russell Canadian Belt Knife and Bark River Woodland (Professional series) the handle curves into the base of the blade. Not exactly a choil, but that combines both designs. As for jimping on the spine, it's occasionally useful but not really necessary.

Depends on knife usage. My bird and trouts I do like example 1. Seems to be easier on a stream trout or pheasant to use a pinch grip on the blade up close to the cutting edge.
On knives that are for heavier work or for instance my medium game knives where the hands may be bloody and (at least where I live) cold I bring the scales farther forward and down to create a harder "stop" for the hand.

Different usages. The first one is better in the kitchen (rear of the blade can cut all the way down on a board). Agree on the feet :)

Last edited:
The first example allows a greater perceived blade length to handle length ratio, and also make using a pinch grip a little easier. However, a middle ground can be achieved where the material covering the guard can be made thinner or scalloped, which will give you both the added safety and ergonomic benefits, as well as enabling easier pinch gripping. The second example is certainly safer, more ergonomic, more comfortable, and also a little easier to mold a Kydex or Boltaron sheath to for good retention. I prefer making the second form of handle generally, but I have used both to good effect.

Just comes down to use of the knife and design of the maker really. Some people also just like it certain ways. I don't know how many knives like that are specifically for designed for that purpose, but it does aid in pinch grip when you're only holding the blade. After all, the handle is just an extension of the knife. Technically speaking you could cut the knife in half and hold the blade itself in a pinch grip, and it'll still be useful. Not as useful as before, but useful nonetheless.

That being said I much prefer the second option and love a nice meeting of handle and blade. Like David Mary David Mary said there are plenty of makers and companies that will chamfer the front of the handle down to meet the blade, or just use a scalloped cutout for your thumb and forefinger to rest in. That is a personal favorite of mine as I believe pinch grip is one of the most useful ways to hold a knife. But as I said, simply design and usage are my votes.

Back