Happy Canadian thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

It's been a really good one for me. Postal service was making holiday deliveries and I got my ZT 0560 BW delivered this morning so I've been enjoying it all day :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had two dinners as well, one was traditional with turkey, and the other was Chinese food.

Both were delicious. I'm happy they were spaced a week apart.

I enjoy Thanksgiving more than Christmas. You get the same food without all the stress of giving and getting stuff you don't need.

Can someone tell me the story behind the Canadian Thanksgiving? I know the the American story, so how did it happen for you folks up there?

Canadian Thanksgiving, the short answer is this. ;)

Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578.

Canadian Thanksgiving, the short answer is this. ;)

Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578.

In Canada, I think the actual holiday was established in the 19th century, but not formalized until the 1950s. I'll bet the native peoples had their own thanks giving during fall long before the English made it to Canada. :)

Is the Canadian thanksgiving menu the same as traditional American? Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc?

It is sure is for me :) but my French Canadian friends enjoy both the same and other cultural dishes as would a lot of others. Pretty much turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie here generally. And always forget the dinner rolls in the oven!

It is sure is for me :) but my French Canadian friends enjoy both the same and other cultural dishes as would a lot of others. Pretty much turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie here generally. And always forget the dinner rolls in the oven!
Thanks. That's really how it works here as well. There are the traditional turkey, etc., that you would expect to find in most cases, and then the particular family favorites-- often cultural favorites depending. Enjoy!

Back