Hapstone M2 knife sharpener

Hapstone M2 is the new middle-stream knife sharpener from Hapstone, the supplier of successful Hapstone V7. Focusing on what matters most for knife sharpening enthusiasts, Hapstone M2 is a combination of precision, durability and great value.

Hapstone-knife-sharpener-M2-0.gif

Features
  • New Vertical Blade Support for knives which don't stand still on the sharpener working surface
  • New Pivot unit with the full 360° rotation
  • Anodized coating for extra durability
  • Full compatibility with Edge Pro format stones
  • Universal stone holder
  • Suitable for sharpening stones up to 6" (150 mm)
  • Any sharpening angle in a range from 8° to 45° degrees
  • All basic parts including thumbs are made of metal
  • Three-Point Guide for a high-precision knife positioning
  • Light-alloy horizontal shaft for better pressure control during the sharpening process
  • Strong neodymium magnets to facilitate knife fastening
  • Rubber coated supporting legs that can be used on any surface
  • Instant assembly
  • Parking hook for horizontal shaft
  • Metal pivot unit with PTFE insert provides smooth shaft movement and requires no lubrication or cleaning
  • Wooden handle to make time-consuming work a little easier
  • Heavy unit (5.4 lbs) does not require clamping to a table.
These specifications enable Hapstone to deliver an affordable high-precision knife sharpener to the market.

Warranty
The manufacturer provides the 5-year warranty on Hapstone M2 knife sharpeners. You can be sure of the reliability of the devices and support from the manufacturer for the entire period of use.

Gritomatic handles warranty support for Hapstone sharpeners in the USA.

Where to buy
Topic in Trade forum

Options
Optional accessories available to buy today:
Convex rod
Thickness compensator
Guide rod for Wicked Edge stones

Hello,

It appears M1 is being offered in a bundle with the 6" x 1" Venev bonded diamond stones. With the stone holder on the M1 appearing to be different than that on the V7, and designed for the tapered ends of the EdgePro style mounted stones, how are the flat-ended Venev stones held in the stone holder? Does the spring just exert enough force on the ends of the stone that friction holds it in?

Looks like a solid tool at a good price.

Thanks

It appears M1 is being offered in a bundle with the 6" x 1" Venev bonded diamond stones. With the stone holder on the M1 appearing to be different than that on the V7, and designed for the tapered ends of the EdgePro style mounted stones, how are the flat-ended Venev stones held in the stone holder? Does the spring just exert enough force on the ends of the stone that friction holds it in?

The stone holder of M2 is different. It can handle flat-end stones like 6" x 1" dual-side Venev. The spring is less tight than V7 version. We gave up full-size heavy bench stones in favor of better usability.

Do you know when the kickstarter with the diamond stones will go out?

What is the "Pivot unit with the full 360° rotation" New Feature? o_O
Hapstone V-series utilizes the rod-end limiting "swings" of the horizontal shaft (from ~30 degrees left to ~30 degrees right). In M2, you can have the horizontal shaft in any position.

Hello, first post here.
Missed the opportunity to back this through Kickstarter, and I am in EU stuck without a decent option to buy their sharpeners. $70+ for shipping plus import and VAT... Holly hell!
Was looking at V7 but it might be to big for ocasional private kitchen/hobby use, no?

Hope you don't mind me asking.
How long knives are supported by the M2 without blade repositioning?
Is it something that might be "hacked" DIY by replacing the longer guide sliding rod?

How long knives are supported by the M2 without blade repositioning?
Is it something that might be "hacked" DIY by replacing the longer guide sliding rod?

Maximum length depends on how flexible is a knife. Very flexible knives like filet knives will be limited by the working surface of the sharpener. Very rigid knives will be limited by the horizontal shaft. Gyuto and Yanagiba up to 12" should be no problem.
Longer shaft is not something I can call the smart upgrade because it solves the problem that does not exist but adds weight (less pressure control, higher inertia).

Maximum length depends on how flexible is a knife. Very flexible knives like filet knives will be limited by the working surface of the sharpener. Very rigid knives will be limited by the horizontal shaft. Gyuto and Yanagiba up to 12" should be no problem.

Thank you for the answer.
I am a little concerned and confused because Anton, the creator of the Kickstarter campaign mentioned in the campaign comments that knives up to 20cm are workable on M2.
Quote: "
@joe
1. Maximum blade length is 20 cm (8 inches) that can be sharpened without re-positioning."

Also in V7 agregated customer reviews on Gritomatic site, a guy mentioned that,
Quote:
"For longer knives (my 10" chef's knife for example), the guide rod and upright rod interfere and don't allow the stone to reach the hilt and point."

Can you maybe help to explain Antons qoute on M2 and was this Amazon customer doing something wrong with his V7.
Is it some sort of limitation by design on V7? Can it be corrected?

Got a response from the official kickstarter campagin, regarding some M2 details.

- online shop in Europe will be open in a couple of months
- 20cm absolute maximum blade length without repositioning the blade on holder
- the length of the horizontal guide - 460 mm (18 inches)

On the other hand,
V7 is range limited by 30deg pivot of the horizontal guide as stated above by Gritomatic and 10" chef knife issue by a reviewer on Amazon. (30deg rod-end limiting "swings" of the horizontal shaft)
It's somewhat compensated to acomodate longer than 110" blades by having a longer cca 60cm honing arm.
New 360deg pivot comming as an option later, or so I read on here somewhere (probably a bit pricey one).

V7 and M2 were almost perfect. Since in I am space, budget and hobby kitchen usage limited and I need it to be future proof for kitchen knives mostly, my search continues!
But I it looks like i am onto something else reeeeal nice with ALL the bells and whistles. :)

V7 is range limited by 30deg pivot of the horizontal guide as stated above by Gritomatic and 10" chef knife issue by a reviewer on Amazon. (30deg rod-end limiting "swings" of the horizontal shaft)
These are my 3 favorite V7 youtube demo "clips". You could well imagine me being the guy in the video. The footage seems uncut but one can see several speedups, and also note how the bright sunny days turn into the darkest black nights. It means that the recording time was much longer than the youtube clip playback time, per video. During the recording time he manages to sharpen ~2 knives/day! His videos are helpful/valuable in that they show how long it takes (or one typically takes) in RL to process a knife on a V7, M2, or my RUIXIN. I take that much time, hours (RUIXIN) too. The process is relaxing, and the result is crazy accurate:

Now think when the next time will be when the guy is going to resharpen the same set of knives on the V7 again. Probably not any time soon. ;) He'll dull the knife after minimal usage and then think whaat, again?? :confused:After i realized/learned what a reasonable proportion/ratio/relation/balance between edge sharpening time (energy, efforts) and edge dulling time is, i wanted to become faster, much faster at resharpening a knife. Even as a most dedicated/experienced/practiced user, one can get only so fast at processing a knife on such a system, before the entire rushed handling/operation of the device starts to feel tiresome (or even bothersome). Of course, you can/could try hard to rush the handling of the device in order to minimize your time investment on a given afternoon, but i sincerely believe that most users go for a relaxed operation, easy-going. Thus it typically takes quite(!) a while until you have fully finished one knife on the system.

Last edited:
These are my 3 favorite V7 youtube demo "clips". You could well imagine me being the guy in the video. The footage seems uncut but one can see several speedups, and also note how the bright sunny days turn into the darkest black nights. It means that the recording time was much longer than the youtube clip playback time, per video. During the recording time he manages to sharpen ~2 knives/day! His videos are helpful/valuable in that they show how long it takes (or one typically takes) in RL to process a knife on a V7, M2, or my RUIXIN. I take that much time, hours (RUIXIN) too. The process is relaxing, and the result is crazy accurate:

Now think when the next time will be when the guy is going to resharpen the same knives on the V7 again. Probably not any time soon. ;) He'll dull the knife after minimal usage and then think whaat, again?? :confused:After i realized/learned what a reasonable proportion/ratio/relation/balance between edge sharpening time (energy, efforts) and edge dulling time is, i wanted to become faster, much faster at resharpening a knife. Even as a most dedicated/experienced/practiced user, one can get only so fast at processing a knife on such a system, before the entire handling/operation of the device starts to feel tiresome (or even bothersome).

Is there any extensive M2 review out on the internet, i.e. forum review or youtube review? I am following the early owners' feedback on the Kickstarter page. Reads promising!! :thumbsup:

You are right.
No mater how simple and cool a system look it will alwys be cumbersome if you use it lot and want peak performance daily sharpness..
Some regular stropping will help with that. As will a dedicated desk where you have your sharpener setup ready to go at any time. Choice of powerful stones like CBN or metal bonded diamonds will also help not wasting hours on mintenence with regular stones

I am a little concerned and confused because Anton, the creator of the Kickstarter campaign mentioned in the campaign comments that knives up to 20cm are workable on M2.
Can you maybe help to explain Antons qoute on M2?

We can trust the information from Anton, the product manager of Hapstone. However, BladeForum is the community of advanced knife users, and I can give ideas beyond the information from Hapstone. That's why I'm saying that max length depends on how flexible the blade is. Hapstone specifies the maximum length for a usual knife using standard stones. If a knife is very rigid, and you are okay to use only a short part of sharpening stone, length limitation will extend. Unfortunately, I have neither M2 nor long rigid knife to do tests.

Back