Hard to close back lock

Bought this cheap back lock on e-bay (nothing better to do at 3:00am). While it 'opens' easy enough,
I can't close the darn thing using 2 hands! :rolleyes: Any tips on how to loosen up the back lock?

IMG_5817.jpg

Are you saying that depressing the lock bar as far down as it will travel does not allow the blade to come unlocked, and that it's permanently locked open?

Are you saying that depressing the lock bar as far down as it will travel does not allow the blade to come unlocked, and that it's permanently locked open?

I can't depress the lock back with my thumb or even 2 hands; the only way I can close the knife is by depressing the lock against a corner of my wood desk.

How much did you pay for it???

Would you believe $14.00? :D

I've tried working the blade & lock with WD-40 but hasn't helped much at all.

$14??? That is most likely the reason you're having issues with it brother.
Joe

Dude, if you want a better knife with a backlock, send me an email. I'll send you (for free) a Lionsteel Mini Opera with a D2 blade and G10 scales.

Throw that thing in the trash:D;):thumbup:

I can't depress the lock back with my thumb or even 2 hands; the only way I can close the knife is by depressing the lock against a corner of my wood desk.

I have one like that (same issue, different look) from the 1980s.
I couldn't figure it out till a few weeks ago.

The problem has to do with the leverage of the lock-bar.
I bet if you look inside while closing it, you'll see that due to the position of the lock-bad pivot point, you have a mechanical disadvantage involved.

No amount of oil or working it open and closed will help; it is a feature of bad design.
Keep it and enjoy the laughs when your friends can't close it either. :D

Dude, if you want a better knife with a backlock, send me an email. I'll send you (for free) a Lionsteel Mini Opera with a D2 blade and G10 scales.

Jump on this offer. :)

The only way to fix this is open it up and bend the spring to lessen the tension on the lock bar. Seeing as it's probably pinned and glued, that wouldn't be an easy chore.

Awesome gesture Tyler!!
Big one of these brother.....[emoji106]
Joe

Sometimes the scales can be pinching the lock creating lots of friction and then they were pinned in place. Some knives can be pryed a little to spread the scales a bit. A bit of horizontal pressure on the open blade will help sometimes. Or taking a wide flat blade screwdriver and twisting by the pivot can spread the scales. Since it was cheap it may be worth trying but you are risking damage.

But if it's a design flaw like mentioned there isn't much you can do except use it as a learning experience. Maybe leave it open and make a cardboard and tape sheath and toss it in a tackle or toolbox.

That's a very nice gesture, Blues Bender but one I can't accept. I EDC a Buck 110 or Buck 482 or a Kershaw framelock. The knife I'm having trouble with was just a cheap spur of the moment purchase that I'll have fun playing around with. :) Thanks!

Tyler, you are one good guy...very generous person... you make all of us proud to be here.

Thanks for the kind words everyone:)

That's a very nice gesture, Blues Bender but one I can't accept. I EDC a Buck 110 or Buck 482 or a Kershaw framelock. The knife I'm having trouble with was just a cheap spur of the moment purchase that I'll have fun playing around with. :) Thanks!

No problem! Feel free to take up my offer anytime. Since I put it out there for you, I'll keep my word;)

Back