hard users of sebenza's

Hi there
i could do with your help,i'm trying to find the best folder ican get.I live in england where a lge std costs $443.
i need the knife to clean out game from rabbits by the 100 to deer on a daily basis,bushcraft,daily use as police officer.
I have some questions
1.do they get old looking quickly when used everyday.
2.in the blood enviroment would a quick wwas do or is a strip and lube needed everytime.
3.Is the lge to big for carrying in trousers.
4.Is there a problem over time with the lock,as have read people sending them back for resetting.
your views much sought.
hoots.

Hi Hoots,
I've used my Sebenza for years and the lock is as good as the day I got it. The blade has held up just wonderful and the Ti handles only have a few surface scratches. You can skin animals just fine but do not do any boneing work as this could chip the thin edge. I would get a fixed blade for this! Good luck and if you do get a Seb you will not be dissapointed!!!;)

P.S. The large Seb Is just fine for everyday carry, very nice size and weight!

Thanks for the reply,I am a police officer so the lge would carried in trousers at work jeans and army pants at home or out,i take it the large would be ok in light weight triusers.
P.s. what about the cleaning after blood.

thanks again
hoots.

Blood should not be too much of a problem as long as it is cleaned off after use and wiped down with oil at the end of the day. You do not have to disassemble it every time you cut something, just when you get build up in the lock area, and most of the time you can clean that out with a Q-tip and some running water. As far as locks go, Chris Reeve offers to have the lock adjusted for free. That is mainly the reason why you hear of people returning it, and this is after you have opened and closed it MANY times. More experienced guys correct me if I am wrong.

During duck season, I routinely cut breast filets from ducks with my large Sebenza. Routine cleanup involves washing under the hot water faucet, shaking dry, then using a hair dryer to blow dry. A light spray job with Rem Oil completes the job and the Sebenza is ready to go again. No problems in the almost three years the Sebenza has been used in this manner; and I have never taken the Sebenza apart. Don't need to, yet. ;)

Hey Hoots
I obviously don't know anything about Englands knife laws. Is it Illegal to import a knife?
You can get a Lg Plain Sebenza at "One Stop Knife Shop"for $325.00 and I have seen them at other sites on rare occasion for $290.00.
I know this is somewhat off topic but why pay
$443.00 when you can save between $118 >$153
The internet is generally a tax,duty free zone so
you just need to add shipping costs. But I assume
you knew that already.

Take Care

My experience is more from fishing than hunting. I find blood and guts will gum up any folder if you don't really clean it well. I usually disassemble it after every other trip.

One thing I was suprised is how rust resistant BG 42 was. I recently went fishing in canada and was wearing neoprene waders (ugh) and got pretty sweaty (read that my clothes were soaked). I had my sebenza in my pocket and it was totally immersed in sweat for 7+hrs. Didn't have any rust preventative at all and simply wiped it off. A week later when I got home, no rust! I was pleasantly suprised.

I believe, JEFFREY, that GB imposes a pretty stiff duty tax on something like knives when they enter the country. The General knows a lot about this. Maybe he'll dive in and share the info Hoots needs. Many web vendors won't ship internationally, because is it simply too big a hassle.

I believe General has a friend in the US who purchases at our prices and sends the knives to him, as if they were a gift or something. I believe the duty tax can be avoided in that manner. Of course, many LEOs are unwilling to put themselves in such a position, where they can be perceived as a tax dodger, or whatever they're called.

Hoots, I am a strong believer in the TufGlide products. I think that if you wipe the blade weekly with a TufCloth, or simply smear the blade with a tiny drop on each side periodically, you can keep the blade pretty corrosion free. I usually use 3-5 doses of TufGlide on the pivot, before I feel like I have enough there to do the job of lubing the pivot, while also making sure that area can remain rust free. The TufGlide products are made by Sentry Solutions. Most web dealers sell the products.

You're certainly picking the best, when you pick the Sebenza, Hoots. Almost forgot to say, welcome to the forums! Hope you hang out here from time to time.

Other than the Ti slabs which are very prone to marking up from carry/use (light, medium of heavy - it doesn't matter) the Large Sebenze seems right for you. Keep in mind it does have a thin grind and therefore would not be my choice for boning and tasks involving torque (about the longitudinal axis) being applied where their would be pressue on or near the edge; in other words, boning tasks.

Other than the aforementioned, BG-42 is great, even with minimal, but frequent attention, i.e. I flush with water soon after bloody jobs, then WD-40 and, when i get a chance, some oil.

The biggest threat to using the Seb, IMO, is loss, not wear.

For all the game you will be cleaning you might want to look at Tom Mayo's TNT www.mayoknives.com. The talonite blade will not rust and cuts meat exceptionally well. His medium size is comparable to the Sebenza large but it has a thinner profile and is lighter in the pocket. Only problem is that he charges $500.00 and the wait for one is I believe 4-5 months.

To be 100% correct a knife imported into the UK from anywhere is hit with a total of 26% TAX duty. If you do the math you see that many UK retailers are not making much more profit than American dealers, esp when you include the postal costs for them which we of course don't pay. In fairness I paid about $500 for my numbered Sebi from a dealer in the UK, but I wanted a numbered Classic MM and it was the only one anywhere for sale, so I paid the cash. As you are a member of the Police, I strongly advise you to pay the British price or order from America and pay any TAX due. This is what I have always done of course;) !

In your line of work... Don't take any chances.

I will tell you without reserve the Sebenza is the best folding knife I have ever used or owned. I holds an edge better than any other folding knife I own (the CR Project one is the best in fixed blades). It will also sharpen up very quickly (even when “hammer” dull) to reaching the level of “frighteningly sharp” (i.e. when the hair seems to just “drop off” when you run it along your arm). Mine is ½ serrated, as I prefer a knife with serrations. The serrations are both deep and wide without being to big to be useless or too small to be fragile. You can disassemble the knife for cleaning (it even comes with the wrench!) with is really helpful. Last evening I stripped about 50+ feet of really heavy wire (6/3 UFB and 12/2 UFB) while wiring up my new pool. I literally used the knife to cut the tough “jacket” lengthwise so I could get into the inner wires. This is tough but the Sebbie went right through it and was still able to shave hair! The blade design is great for making precise cuts or “gutting” sandbags or even scumbags for that matter! This evening I was putting sand media in my pool filter and used the Sebbie to cut open the bags and dig out the sand… So you could say I use the knife without fear of breakage! As for the CRK Company, their service is 'best in class' and Mr. Reeve and Co. are 110% behind the product! If you search this site under my user name FNFALFAN you will see the "sandbag test" I did on the Sebbie. Remember: Buy quality and only cry once! :D

Back