Hardwoodsman skill: Split wood fire

Yo, guys. Every since Iawoodsman taught me the split wood fire I have been convinced of it's effectiveness. When it's been raining for a week, the humidity is up and everything is soaked the split wood fire is an invaluable skill to know. A life saver really.
I think it's as essential, maybe more so, to know as the bow and drill method especially being a hardwoodsman where fire helpers (birch bark, fatwood) are rare or non existent.
So with that in mind, if you haven't already seen it, here's some of Ia's vids on the subject.
[youtube]6I_WSt4tJu0[/youtube]

[youtube]bfpWthydnDw[/youtube]

Fire in the rain....with a pocket knife!:eek:
[youtube]c90jBC31lrU[/youtube]

Here's another good one by Kepis, a great guy and great bushcrafter.
[youtube]dj0EcJV6mnI[/youtube]

What'cha think?
Iz

This is a fabulous set of videos. One of the most important skills to have is fire, possibly the most important--a psychological boost as well as physical.

Those are some informative videos. Thanks for posting.

Love the videos. There is a definite need for the hardwoods take on things.

Question: When you go knocking around in the woods are you on private or public land and if public do try to go to certain types of land (state, federal, BLM, National Forrests, etc.).

This is a fabulous set of videos. One of the most important skills to have is fire, possibly the most important--a psychological boost as well as physical.

I agree, man. Fire is probably the most important "tool" for a woodsman to have. It makes food and water safe, it keeps you warm, it gives you light, it perpetuates itself (ie charred materials=easier fire next time) and I agree that the psychological effect can't be overlooked. I don't remember who said it but I remember hearing it said that a fire gives a sense of belonging or a sense of home. I think that's true.

Those are some informative videos. Thanks for posting.
You bet, brother. Thanks for taking time to comment, I appreciate it.

Love the videos. There is a definite need for the hardwoods take on things.

Question: When you go knocking around in the woods are you on private or public land and if public do try to go to certain types of land (state, federal, BLM, National Forrests, etc.).

I usually go on State public land. Mainly because around here the only time people get out into the deep woods is deer season so I usually have the entire place to myself. We've got lots of land owners around here but very few with large chunks of acreage.

Iz

Great video....I saw Snow do this one last time I was out with him. Neat technique.

Great video....I saw Snow do this one last time I was out with him. Neat technique.

He didn't serrate the edge on his Golok did he? That's what he did the last time I saw him do the split wood fire.:D
You gotta watch out for that dude, he's a little off.;)
Iz

:D Ha, no I dont think he did. That bad boy was brand new that day. I had it at my house waiting on him. He was a choppin machine that day.......

Brandons good peeps, a little off, but I think thats why we get along so well. Im flat out there some times. lol....:eek::p

I am surprised more people don't learn and use this skill. It is so much easier to make fire once you get the hang of and saves you from having to search high and low for dry tinder.

I am surprised more people don't learn and use this skill. It is so much easier to make fire once you get the hang of and saves you from having to search high and low for dry tinder.

:thumbup: good point. Larry

Exactomundo. I think it's the only way to go in a hardwoods environment.
And it's one of those skills a person has got to do a few times before they actually need it.

Back