Has anybody made their own folders?

I was wondering, has anyone made their own folders from scratch? I have been considering doing this myself, it wouldn't be that hard if you used something as a pattern, or had the tools to sketch it out in 3D to test the fit and function of individual components. So, has anyone done this, or thought about doing this? I'm curious what you have made, or what you would make if you were to do this?

Are you being serious? Its not April 1st yet.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of makers that make folders.....from rough working varieties to master grade works of art.

They're certainly not easy and there is a bunch of factors that need considering when building one.

If I may be so bold........from your apparent unawareness of handmade folders coupled with your assumption that "it wouldn't be that hard"..........I'm guessing you'd struggle more than you think.

Considering I have built guns, no, I don't think it'd be harder than I think. Especially liner locks and their derivatives which would clearly be the easiest.

I got my son a wooden kit of a Case Toothpick(which is a slip joint) and would like to make my own based off of his kit and do them together.

What is your experience in building firearms?

I had an idea for a triad style lockback but with one difference. Instead of pressing down behind the pivot to unlock the blade, my idea was to have a couple thumb studs on the locking bar forward of the pivot that traveled in a couple cutouts in the scales/liners. You would have the strength of a triad lock, but with the single handed ease of use of something like an axis lock. Has anyone made anything like this before? My other idea was to go with a compression lock.

I got my son a wooden kit of a Case Toothpick(which is a slip joint) and would like to make my own based off of his kit and do them together.

What is your experience in building firearms?

Mostly parts kits, but that does include sheet metal work, heat treating, and the fabrication of some necessary parts to do legal conversions.

Anyway, what are wooden and plastic knife kits for? I got the impression people just used them as patterns to make their own but I wasn't sure if people really did that with them.

Pretty they are for children or people who are intrigued by the way things work.

I had an idea for a triad style lockback but with one difference. Instead of pressing down behind the pivot to unlock the blade, my idea was to have a couple thumb studs on the locking bar forward of the pivot that traveled in a couple cutouts in the scales/liners. You would have the strength of a triad lock, but with the single handed ease of use of something like an axis lock. Has anyone made anything like this before? My other idea was to go with a compression lock.
Look this thread . . .
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/locking-mechanism-for-folder-knive.1486455/

Nah, that is completely different. Imagine just taking a lockback knife, and cutting a couple slots into the scales/liners up near the front where it locks down into the blade, then having a lock bar with a couple studs that fit through the slots cut in the scales/liners so you can "lift" the front of the lockbar instead of pushing down on the back of it. It would still use a lockback type locking bar and spring.

I was wondering, has anyone made their own folders from scratch? I have been considering doing this myself, it wouldn't be that hard if you used something as a pattern, or had the tools to sketch it out in 3D to test the fit and function of individual components. So, has anyone done this, or thought about doing this? I'm curious what you have made, or what you would make if you were to do this?
I forget on this one ...... time to finish them .It is not rocket science ,just knife with few parts .Of course that you can make one :thumbsup:
6SrIM0f.jpg

rP5qUB9.jpg

Nah, that is completely different. Imagine just taking a lockback knife, and cutting a couple slots into the scales/liners up near the front where it locks down into the blade, then having a lock bar with a couple studs that fit through the slots cut in the scales/liners so you can "lift" the front of the lockbar instead of pushing down on the back of it. It would still use a lockback type locking bar and spring.
Yes , I know that it is different .But is easy to make .............;)

A compression lock like used on some of the Spydercos would be pretty simple too. And you wouldn't necessarily have to cut the liner, bend, and heat treat it to work as a spring, but you might be able to make the lock component a separate piece that screws to the inside of the scale. This could make the lock component of a compression lock replaceable for future repairs when it begins to wear out.

Back