Has anyone grinded down their obnoxious JYD pocket clip?

The title pretty much says it all, but let me sum it up for ya.

I recently bought a stainless steel JYD from the forum knife exchange. Seeing that this is the smaller than the JYD 2, I think that if I acquire a new pocket clip I might EDC it.
I contacted STR about a new titanium clip, and he recommended that I grind down the clip to a shape that I would like more before buying a new clip.

Has anyone ever grinded away at the pocket clip before? If so, could you please post pics?

I realize that I will need to grind around the holes in the clip, so I think it will still be a rather wide clip, but I think it will be better then the stock clip. But I am curious to see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks in advance,
-orangish ducktape

I've seen some people do it to round it out a bit. I think there was even a thread on it awhile back.

Ya I just got one from Kershawguy about 3 hours ago and this has to be about the ugliest mall ninja flea market junk I've seen on a otherwise killer knife.
I will order a generic one and tap for a tip up carry but till then here is what I did.

photobucket-38267-1340063114278.jpg

I just used a angle grinder with a 3in wheel and some bumper black I had laying around. I may have trimmed to much from the end when the paint has dried a little more I'll try it in my pocket

I drilled and tapped the other end of mine and put a benchmade clip on it for tip up carry. It would have been better with a carbide drill bit and a drillpress but I made it work, so much better now.

Ya I just got one from Kershawguy about 3 hours ago and this has to be about the ugliest mall ninja flea market junk I've seen on a otherwise killer knife.
I will order a generic one and tap for a tip up carry but till then here is what I did.

photobucket-38267-1340063114278.jpg

I just used a angle grinder with a 3in wheel and some bumper black I had laying around. I may have trimmed to much from the end when the paint has dried a little more I'll try it in my pocket

This looks to be almost exactly what I want to do.

I drilled and tapped the other end of mine and put a benchmade clip on it for tip up carry. It would have been better with a carbide drill bit and a drillpress but I made it work, so much better now.

I hope to drill and tap my own holes one day, but since the handle is solid stainless steel, I won't be able to get a nice clean holes without a drill press.

-orangish ducktape

I've always thought they looked goofy on the JYD. MC556 that is exactly how I wanted to have mine ground! I've always thought the clip was the only part of the JYD that wasn't great. The SG2 with an STR clip is one of my favorites. The gothic style clip actually looks really nice on some of the Galyean Pros though but doesn't seem to translate well to a boring G10 handle and not a lot better on the rivet style handle.

Here is a pro model where the clip really fits and looks incredible.
tg_scorpion_8x10.jpg

I've always thought they looked goofy on the JYD. MC556 that is exactly how I wanted to have mine ground! I've always thought the clip was the only part of the JYD that wasn't great. The SG2 with an STR clip is one of my favorites. The gothic style clip actually looks really nice on some of the Galyean Pros though but doesn't seem to translate well to a boring G10 handle and not a lot better on the rivet style handle.

tg_scorpion_8x10.jpg

I completely agree....that clip looks very nice on Mr. Galyean's pro model.

-orangish ducktape

His customs are art but these Kershaws are working knives IMO and I would much rather have the clip on the Pro Series above. I will enjoy this knife though it's about to get a workout starting tomorrow.

One more open. The bumper paint has a little texture and looks better in person the flash on my camera phone makes it stand out more.
photobucket-50526-1340068741839.jpg

I have one I ground down with a belt grinder. Focus on the horns and once you get those worked down to where they suit you... you can focus on reshaping the rest if you choose. For me just rounding off the horns made it work-able. It isn't hard, just make sure that when you get done with the grinder that you take some sand paper and work the sharp edges down to smooth and rounded again, otherwise, you will tear up your pocket and possibly end up with some scratches on your hand.

I got a titanium one that I bent into shape, with which I replaced the original.

photobucket-5565-1343937152771.jpg

I've done 3 so far. One on my ti Tyrade(I have a spare), my ti JYD( I have a spare), and my grey g-10 JYD.

I Hate the Big Ugly Clip! I get better every time I do 1. I take off the horns completely and grind down the part below the horns as much as I can. I don't see any modded

clips with the end as short as mine.

Tim must have been trying to win the Grand Prize for the Uglyist Clip of the Year when he designed the 1 for the JYD. He Must have won the prize.!!!!!

tg_scorpion_8x10.jpg

You bastard! :grumpy:

I have never seen that thing before, and now i have to have one! I was DONE, i was out of the addiction!... i had all my grails ordered and i was never going to buy another knife... you just couldn't let me get away could you

Le Sigh...

(please read with humor)

I like Kershaws Skyline clip the best.

The goofy lines of the JYD's kind of make me feel as if it's a toy for a kid.

KershawClipMod002.jpg

Back