Has anyone made a FLAME THROWER?

Binaca breath spray or small can of hair spray (anything alcohol-based really) and a cigarette lighter = mini flame thrower. If you're really daring, take a mouthful of soemthing flammable and spray it across the flame. :D Might have trouble taking that places however. :)

WD-40 & a Zippo works really well to set things on fire, kill bugs, and dissuade attackers (two-legged or four).

You can also get a propane blowtorch at Home Depot for $20, which is a bit big to carry without a backpack or something, but it makes a nice flame.

Somewhere I saw some plans for a decent looking flame thrower...based around gelled flame fuel.
Awhile ago (about a year ago) I was into all that anarchist cookbook type JUNQUE except I was looking it up online...ran across a lot of flame related stuff...
Printed it out..then destroyed it and deleted my links in a fit of morals :)rolleyes: or perhaps paranoia)....

So maybe look around online, run a search for flame thrower plans if nothing else....

I wish one could get a flammable gas in a CO2 type canister (like the ones you use in airguns), and have a device that could shoot a burst of the stuff (like half or the whole bottle) and ignite it as it came out.....
but alas no such luck...

Wonder what the ATF thinks about home made flame throwers.....:confused: :(

Mnblade, that pages does not exist- oh wait, that was supposed to be a joke. Ha.

If you acctually try this, PLEASE remember to remove your flame source BEFORE you stop spraying your fuel, otherwise the change in presure could draw a flame back to the aresol can and you have a nice fragmentation bomb in your hand. Please don't attempt anything like this, but if you do, for God's sake wear ear and eye protection (and any other kind of protection you can get.) If the can explodes, even if you're quick enough to throw it, you're deaf and blind. Every couple years you see some poor kid who tried this and FUBARed himself on the six o' clock news. The ones the army uses (used) aren't even reliable.

callahwj,
I have heard this form several people before, but for some reason I don't believe it. Not that I am going to try to disprove it by doing it, but it just doesn't seem possible for the flame to go inside the can when there is higher pressure inside the can than outside in the atmosphere. Also, there is no oxygen in the can is there?

Regardless, I was more interested in a mini napalm-type flame thrower than a lighter and a spray can. I already know about that. I know what it takes to make one, I am just looking for some suggestions on the design and materials to make one. I was wondering if a smally electric pump would squirt the napalm far enough for a descent range, and what sort of ignition would be the best to use. I would like some type of instant-on flame source instead of having a butane torch continuously burning and shooting the stream through it. Would a grill lighter be a big enough flame?

My favorite. Tested and true. But kids don't try this at home.

Wizard Lighter Fluid and a lighter. Fill reservoir (your mouth) with the fluid (don't swallow). Blow and light. If you see the flame coming back close your mouth!. Really, I had this one going 15+ feet.

Ah, the good ol days. Would never try it now though.

Here's an idea for you james bond types with access to multimillion dollar manufacturing equipment.

If you've got the pillmaker equipment to make paintballs and can substitute the geletin for an inert oily substance that only breaks when launched at way over field legal force, you could fill them up with white phosphorus and load them into an automatic marker.

The target would be walking along when they hear this quiet "Fot, Fot, Fot!" noise and all of a sudden he and three of his mates are all holding their heads and covered with this stuff that just burns and burns and burns (on contact to air or water you have to pack the wound in mud to stop it), until the burning mess falls out their a$$es. If the theater of operations is a desert where there is no mud... well.

You could probably modify one of those AT85s from http://www.adtacsys.com/index.shtml to mount under the barrel of an M-16... Hell, use it on its own. Some agencies already train with it. No muzzle flash. Flames hot enough to melt through car doors without a trail of flame leading back to the shooter. Flames only where you want them and to the degree that you want them. If there is already a DOD project on this anywhere in the world, I had the idea first back in 1990. I should have gone to work as a government researcher, if this wasn't my only crazy kill'em-all idea.

Only down side is the fact that if you get a ball breakage in the breech YOU are covered in this aweful stuff that just burns and burns and burns. But then you wanted to go and play with a flamethrower in the first place, and this is the safest, most tactically minded flamethrower I can think of.

Your welcome, but be careful with that sort of info and if anyone wants to play with explosives contact me at ozpyro@yahoo.com I can provide all the safety info and advice you need ;)

For all you pyromaniacs out there - Buy a can of butane (made to refill cigarette lighters) and hold a balloon on the end of the nozzle. Push in to fill the balloon with butane, and tie the balloon off before it blows up. Tie it to the end of a stick (preferably a long one) and hold it over a candle you've set up 10' away or so. Instant fireball!!

(Note: the information provided above is for entertainment purposes only. Do not try this at home. Do not try this without adult and fire department supervision. Do not try this indoors, especially in a gunpowder plant. This post was written without the benefit of animal testing, power tools, and MSG.)

My scouts and I went through every aerosol product available. GUMOUT carburetor cleaner won hands down.

To throw a flame, write about most tactical folder ever made or something like that.... sorry, couldn't resist.

Back to the topic, Sesoku, most spray can /bottle is high pressured inside, but sthill there can be some sprays we have to give pressure by our hand (finger) grip. Very rare, but possible. Such can / bottle doesn't expect high pressure, and high level sealability either. When releasing hand pressure on such can /bottle makes it deeply "inhale" atmosphere with oxygen contained. Maybe nothing happens, but nobody can be sure.

I don't know any such case with high pressure cans, but I don't trust my feeble experiences with portable flame throwers!

I used to use a homemade flamethrower to clear out spiderwebs on our patio when I was a kid....

I took one of those spraycan trigger grip attachments, stuck it on a can of WD-40, replaced the red straw with a metal tube, attached a small butane cylinder inside of a regulator assembly from a small radioshack butane torch, ran a line from the torch up to the front of my tubing (for constant ignition source) and flame away!.

Fun fun fun. Sigh.

Back