Has anyone tried Spyder Throwers?

I've been surprised I can't find any reviews of Spyderco's Spyder Throwers. They look good, and their designer seems highly respected, so I'm thinking of getting a set in the large size. Does anyone have experience with them?

Honestly, I didn’t know they existed. They do look real good, but they are a bit more expensive than their ColdSteel counterparts.

Hey Ron! I’ve not held one nor know anyone who has done so. Just based on specs, the large model seems pretty beefy, which I mean as a compliment. At almost a foot in length, each knife appears to weigh almost a pound and measures over 5mm in thickness. Personally, I like the design in that it doesn’t look overly blade heavy.

I’m WAY over my head concerning the metallurgy, but the Chinese 8cr stainless should be a bit softer than the 9cr type, which could add to durability while being not quite as corrosion-resistant as its 9cr sibling. I’ve had fairly good luck with a few of the budget stainless throwers of other brands. They’ve held up pretty well, and the one that broke was probably user error. If you saw me throw, you would understand the true meaning of “user error.” I have that technique down.:)

I’m a rules follower, so I won’t mention any specific details, but I just received some throwers from a maker in Canada. He advertises on a well-known website that features custom and hand-made items of all kinds, not just knives. At the risk of being economically presumptuous, you may want to comparison shop just a bit. The Spyderco knives appear fairly costly compared to other possibilities, just as .357 mentioned above. However, if you like them... get them and throw them!

So, there is my two cents, which is probably worth less than that. I will post my review of Olivier’s LaForgeDuFaune knives in the coming days. Perhaps someone else here, like .357 has done, will post a more informed opinion. Best of luck.

Knives are based on the viper knives that Harold Muellar designed, Spyderco bought the rites to reproduce his viper design and like the original vipers they come in three sizes and made in China ( original vipers were made in Canada). I have had the large and the medium both throw well but I find that the large is more consistent probably due to its size being more forgiving. Sold the mediums but I still have the large ones two years and still straight.

I was unaware of them because I don't follow Spyderco at all. Here is my 2¢ worth based on 50+ years of throwing.

I am just looking at the large ones as the smaller ones are worthless to ME in my throwing and I would never even pick the smaller ones up.

I like the shape and thickness. I don't length and weight. At 11.1 inches, they are too short for competition rotational throwing (minimun 12 inches). At 10.2 ounces, 2 ounces less than 3/4 #, they are too light - under the recommended ounce to the inch ratio. This is a safety factor - light knives tend to rebound more and more often than heavier knives. The lightest knives I throw are 13 ounces. Had they not punched out holes in the handles, leaving that weight in the knives, that would have brought the weight up some.

I don't like the hole drilled in the blade - that is a stress point waiting to fracture. The handle holes are also stress points but are less likely to fracture there.

To ME, the knives don't meet specs for competition throwing, so I would not waste my money on them. There are some very good throwing knife makers out there who make a better and, in the long run, cheaper, product.

I was unaware of them because I don't follow Spyderco at all. Here is my 2¢ worth based on 50+ years of throwing.

I am just looking at the large ones as the smaller ones are worthless to ME in my throwing and I would never even pick the smaller ones up.

I like the shape and thickness. I don't length and weight. At 11.1 inches, they are too short for competition rotational throwing (minimun 12 inches). At 10.2 ounces, 2 ounces less than 3/4 #, they are too light - under the recommended ounce to the inch ratio. This is a safety factor - light knives tend to rebound more and more often than heavier knives. The lightest knives I throw are 13 ounces. Had they not punched out holes in the handles, leaving that weight in the knives, that would have brought the weight up some.

I don't like the hole drilled in the blade - that is a stress point waiting to fracture. The handle holes are also stress points but are less likely to fracture there.

To ME, the knives don't meet specs for competition throwing, so I would not waste my money on them. There are some very good throwing knife makers out there who make a better and, in the long run, cheaper, product.
They actually weigh 15.9oz. Thinking of getting some mediums...I dont ever plan on doing more than just screwing around my yard throwing it at either a tree or a homemade target. Did you ever get them?

Knives are based on the viper knives that Harold Muellar designed, Spyderco bought the rites to reproduce his viper design and like the original vipers they come in three sizes and made in China ( original vipers were made in Canada). I have had the large and the medium both throw well but I find that the large is more consistent probably due to its size being more forgiving. Sold the mediums but I still have the large ones two years and still straight.
Do you think the Mediums would be fine for someone just wanting to mess around with throwing knives hitting a tree or homemade target? Or is the large the only way to go. I just didn't want gigantic knives...but the small I think is too small and large too big maybe...so I'm thinking medium. You sold your mediums...should I just not mess around and get the large? Probably would use them occasionally and end up sitting in my giant knife collection like usual lol. But I figured if I'm want throwing knives why not go for my favorite brand

Definitely large don’t waste your time with the smaller versions. I recently discovered a guy in Alabama that makes throwers out of old lawn mower blades, spring steel. Best throwers I have ever used, perfect balance, durable and consistent spin. His name is Bo Mcnees he is on Facebook. Just look for ones around 12”-14” that seems to work the best for me. Good luck have fun

They actually weigh 15.9oz. Thinking of getting some mediums...I dont ever plan on doing more than just screwing around my yard throwing it at either a tree or a homemade target. Did you ever get them?

Nope - not legal for competition rotational throwing and my current no-spins work just fine for me.

Definitely large don’t waste your time with the smaller versions. I recently discovered a guy in Alabama that makes throwers out of old lawn mower blades, spring steel. Best throwers I have ever used, perfect balance, durable and consistent spin. His name is Bo Mcnees he is on Facebook. Just look for ones around 12”-14” that seems to work the best for me. Good luck have fun
Thanks for the advice. Part of me just wants cheap ones because I know every time I get excited about something I go all out and do it once then it just sits there...and either sell later or pretend I will use it again lol. But then another part of me wants the best...and I guess that's relative. I'll have to check out his Fb page though. Just want to try my hand at it after my buddy had these stupid little throwing stars (I know...dumb) and It was kinda fun and i got the idea to try knife throwing since knives are my jam.

Back