Has anyone tried the Tantung samples yet?

Kit, that is some fun stuff to grind isnt it, the Ferro stuff I mean! I got a little spooked when I was able to cut glass with it in the annealed state.
biggrin.gif

I got my sample today! But as I don't have a grinder here, can't grind it!

It must be starting to go out. I got a piece in the afternoon mail today. 7x1-1/2x.225", mine not ground, a few pits on one end/side, plenty of clean stock for a blade. Hard stuff, aver. RC 59.8 out of the wrapper. My thanks to Fansteel and L.S. Kramer for the piece, will try very soon.

------------------
ColoradoBoy

Got mine yesterday. I ground a corner just to see what it was like. Thais is some hard stuff.

mine came yesterday too, awful surface with some DEEP pits......as above .230" thick x 7" long.....odd size for a knife. man its thick! will give it a go later. Am concerned about a post somewhere (maybe from their site) that it gets softer the closer to the middle you get? In that case .125" would be a better bet for this stuff.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

I got mine on monday, same size as toms, and also with DEEP pits, its really thick though, really thick. wish i had a surface grinder, oh well. im lookin forward to messin with it.

Got mine looks like some monster pits in it. I will know more after a few passes on the grinder to clean it up.
I plan to make a working knife for myself out of it. It WILL get used. So that should help determine where this stuff stands.
No Heat treat right!

------------------
RHankins Available knives
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=205453

I TOO GOT MY PIECE.REAL DEEP PITS.YET IT WAS FREE, NOW TO SEE HOW IT GRINDS, ROYBOY

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by R Dannemann:
It must be starting to go out. I got a piece in the afternoon mail today. 7x1-1/2x.225", mine not ground, a few pits on one end/side, plenty of clean stock for a blade. Hard stuff, aver. RC 59.8 out of the wrapper. My thanks to Fansteel and L.S. Kramer for the piece, will try very soon.

</font>

Dittos from here to Fansteel & Mr. Kramer for the sample!
Rob Simonich (or anybody out there who has played with this kinda funny metal.....is it best to stay with a flat grind, or a rrreeeeeaaaaalll shallow hollow grind???? (12" - 14" contact wheel?)
TIA,
Harry Jensen

I wouldnt know Harry, I would have to try the new stuff. I flat ground the old stuff, and left the edge at .020. I used 1/8" stock on the Tantung knife I made. The stuff I got was precision ground and ultrasonicly tested for voids. Very nice material.

I received mine as well. Same pits and size as everyone else. I'm going to try my drop point design with an index finger hole. That large hole should be fun in this material!

We'll have to post some pics when we have some completed work.

Allan

Doh! And i just placed a $130 order with TKS today
frown.gif

Anyone start grinding this stuff yet????

the cheapest place to buy tooling (carbide drill bits etc) is either MSC (Manhattan supply company) Travers Tool Supply, also out of new york...my favorite.....or Rutland Tool.......all three have thick catalogs that are free....and have sales all the time in their fliers where stuff is cheaper.... thats the best time to buy carbide-its expensive even when its on sale. No you can NOT drill thru 59Rc material with a cobolt drill bit.....it will just get hot and melt! Trust me on this......
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

I started grinding it today it is really tough to grind. really tough, 59 Rc. sounds right. its also really brittle, i mean like as brittle as a file, has no bend or springy-ness whatsoever. i placed a 1/2 in. wide piece abuout 4in. long it in my vice and it gave only about 5 deg. deflection. anyways im not to impressed yet, it better cut really well.

Back