1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Dave every done a "Rough Out" tutorial?

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Diomedes Industries, May 4, 2018.

1. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    I can't find it - and would like to request one if he hasn't done it.

Please....

Sugar on top.

Jason

harronek likes this.
  2. harronek

harronek Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I second that motion .

Ken

3. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    You can figure it out, Jason. Just cut out a left hand sheath by mistake and sew it up as a right hand and BINGO! you got a rough out.:cool:

Paul

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    How bout a rough out Carlos border stamp combo? Dang it we made two pair of rough out spur straps last evening, wasn't taking pics though. Gonna have to wait though for a bit, going shooting out at the ranch. Funny thing on them spur straps, Nichole forgot and started with the glueing of the lining and forgot. I caught her before too much damage was done. She'd only glued up the wrong side of one strap.

harronek likes this.
  5. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 19, 2007
    Dave. Please. This would be perfect. I would just like to know the finer points or perparing the flesh side and then stamping it. You get such clean and even results - so I would like to know how you do it.

What leather do you start with - and how do you get it ready for stamping - that's what I need.

Jason

6. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    My favorite boots are rough out, makes scuffs and cuts a thing of the past, although still have to clean and oil them like normal. Can't even picture what a rough out sheath would look like............

7. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Rough out leggings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rough out rifle scabbard.

[​IMG]

Rough out spur straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rough out pancake sheath.

[​IMG]

Rough out martingale with silver dollars.

[​IMG]

Rough out and rough out highlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep done a few things here and there.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  8. harronek

harronek Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Dave ,

You are tempting me to dig out some leather and get the smell of contact cement in my nostrils again .

Ken

Horsewright and Gary W. Graley like this.
  9. SHostetler

SHostetler

Dec 14, 2005
    Dave,
    Did you line the rifle scabbard? What weight leather did you use for the outside and inside if any?

Thanks
    Steve Hostetler

Horsewright likes this.
  10. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    No I could but have never really seen a reason too. It's single ply 8/10oz Wickett and Craig. I make a bunch of those. @SHostetler