Hatchet or axe for Personal Survival Kit

From what I have heard the gransfors has a pretty fine edge, best suited for
soft woods.

I've heard that too but I mainly chop hardwood with mine and I don't notice any severe dulling. I did break a mini once on some rock hard chestnut oak but the edge was fine there was apparently a forging flaw. GB sent me a new one.

I can see that a GB because of the bit being narrower would probably not split wood as well as a thicker axe, but of course the thicker axe will not penetrate wood as well as the GB. I mainly chop wood with my hatchets so I'd rather not spend all day chopping thru something just so I can have a hatchet thick enough to split wood which I might do once in a blue moon:rolleyes:

I have handled the Wetterling that is the same size (basically) as the GB Wildlife and the main thing I notice is that it is much duller out of the box than a GB. I've never used one that anybody sharpened up but out of the box as far as chopping the GB beats it. This is also totally subjective on my part but I think the shape of the head and handle on the GB, for me at least makes it easier to hit the mark:thumbup:

One thing I HAVE noticed about GB's is they come with a very thin edge. All of the ones I have got. When I first use them on softwood or hardwood I can often see some microfine chipping of the edge. However this doesn't seem to affect the chopping and once you sharpen them a few times even lightly you knock that wire edge off and don't really lose any cutting ability.

You made a fine choice with the GB. I have an embarassingly large collection of Swedish Axes mostly GB with some Wetterling and other makers thrown in as well. The Wetterlings make into a fine axe with about three hours of work and you can customize the profile to some extent.

The most useful size to me is the small forest axe or hunter from GB. Fits in a decent sizer pack and lots of power. Really makes shelter building a cinch.

Not meaning to be ignorant but folks keep talking about Hawks and Crash Axes. What exactly are they suppose to be designed for? I have never seen a woodsman with one, and up here we still have real woodsman.

The crash axe and the VTAC are for heavy duty use, busting through cinder block walls and steel doors and such.
Not really the stuff you run into in the woods but you know it wont break out there.
Regular hawks are carried by the traditionalists, Lewis and Clark carried hawks, and movies like the Patriot and Last of the Mohicans certainly glorified and romantacized them a lot, and are wickedly effective against predators of the 2 legged variety.
Still, you can't beat a good hawk for lighter chopping tasks with their thin profiles, plus they are fun as heck to throw.

What about using a machete? It depends on the wood land environment your in.

Just thought I would chuck this in as an alternative solution, not sure it will go down well in the Axe forum.

A machete certainly has its place, lots of good things can be said about them, but there are many designs and qualities out there.
I would say machetes belong in this forum over the sword forum, or at least do not seem out of place here.

The crash axe and the VTAC are for heavy duty use, busting through cinder block walls and steel doors and such.
Not really the stuff you run into in the woods but you know it wont break out there.
Regular hawks are carried by the traditionalists, Lewis and Clark carried hawks, and movies like the Patriot and Last of the Mohicans certainly glorified and romantacized them a lot, and are wickedly effective against predators of the 2 legged variety.
Still, you can't beat a good hawk for lighter chopping tasks with their thin profiles, plus they are fun as heck to throw.

Pretty good answer....thanks

Update:

I got my new GB Small Forest axe today! Wow, what a great axe! It is VERY sharp. I took a few air swings with it and I must admit it is light and easy to handle. This axe will fit perfect in my PSK.

Back