1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hatchet sheath

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Buck268, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Buck268

Buck268

Nov 5, 2006
    Just a cheap leather sheath for my hatchet, but I'm kinda excited. Posted a while back about rehandling this oldie, and it that took a little effort but I think came out great! Sheaths seem equally hard to find in the right size; this one fits the head perfectly but its handle hole is too tight on the back. Being leather, I am confident it will break in nicely over time but I'm trying to decide what to finish this unfinished leather with. My top choices are snoseal or obenauf's LP. I'm leaning towards Obenaufs HDLP right now, but I don't want to to OVER soften the leather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I use Obenauf's and have not noticed it softening the leather. My experience with Snow Seal was a long time ago, but seem to remember it did soften the leather. Who made you Hatchett? I ask as I bought one at our local gun show a few years back that looks like yours, also painted blue but I could not find any makers mark on it. Yours looks to have a makers mark on it, but I cannot make it out. Thanks. John

3. Buck268

Buck268

Nov 5, 2006
    Its a Hults Bruk. Check out my old thread here. I didn't know what it was before, either.

4. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Buck268, Thanks and nice job on the re-handling. John

5. EagleScout'70

EagleScout'70

Yesterday
    I've started making my own leather sheaths for my hatchets and axes. I found the leather craft forums mentions Neatsfoot oil often, so I've been using it.

6. Buck268

Buck268

Nov 5, 2006
    EagleScout, any good resources to start making leather sheaths? I don't see myself becoming avid but I have 2-3 DIY sheaths I would like to tackle.

7. EagleScout'70

EagleScout'70

Yesterday
    Seems like I started with a 2"x48" strip of 8-10oz leather and a $10 starter set, both from Amazon. The starter set gave me 3 colors waxed thread, needles, line groover etc. With these items, a poly cutting board & utility knife I was able to follow steps from YouTube and Pinterest to make not a full sheath, but a sturdy cover (mask?) to protect the cutting edge. It's probably cheaper if you need only 2 or 3 but more fun to make my own. Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Tandy Leather are sources for materials including more leather, hole punch, snaps, stitching needles and punches. A drill will create good holes, especially a press. I've spent about $80 to make 7 or 8 axe and hatchet sheaths/masks, pouch for Lansky puck and a sleeve for my file.
    It's been fun!