Hatchet vs axe sharpening

I’m going to sharpen a small hatchet (14” Estwing) and wondering if the same angles and method as a larger axe applies.

Lots of axe sharpening tutorials online but very little specific to smaller hatchets.

I’m going to sharpen a small hatchet (14” Estwing) and wondering if the same angles and method as a larger axe applies.

Lots of axe sharpening tutorials online but very little specific to smaller hatchets.

Is pretty much the same.
Personally I am a little more inclined to thin the blade on a hatchet as the collision forces are less and anything that improves chopping with the smaller mass of the hatchet is a plus. The one in this video is an absolute beast for its size after some TLC.

^Yup. Basically this. Same as an axe, possibly thinner. It's not really that different.

I'll thin the face of the hatchet as Heavy suggest. This improves limb work. Then the edge bevel / edge angle I put on the hatchet or ax (a splitting ax I go steeper) is 21-22* edge angle or it will curl
after chopping a limb or two. So, lift the hammer as you sharpen. I have a Estwing hatchet with stacked leather handle and that's
the manner I ended up doing it after a few tries. Now the edge doesn't curl. DM

Last edited:
The angle of thickness is different as you move up the axe bit. Most axes have a 30-40 degree angle at the end of the bit and a 15-20 degree angle about ½” from the cutting edge. Most people sharpen over 20 degree to enhance edge toughness and retention.

Taking the time to thin the face is important for performance. You can do it on a coarse SiC stone. DM

Back