Hatchet VS Folding saw/ Knife.

This is what I think is a good compact compromise as far as cutting tools go.
I think that the axe is somewhat superior to a saw , a piece of recalcitrant wood can usually be beaten into submission with an axe or hatchet , not always so with a saw , but I have the need for a small saw covered in the Leatherman.
The small axe is also a useful tool to have in an urban environment so this setup will be good for Urban as well as Wilderness use.
The items shown will fit into a large "Bum-Bag" or "Fanny-Pack" , or , can easily be carried on the person.
If going into the "Wilderness" (if such places still exist today) , don't forget to take along your Knowledge , Water Bottle and Billycan šŸ˜ .

Looks like a pretty complete kit to me. My winter pack has a OHT non serrated, a Grohmann Deer/ Moose knife, and a Corona folding saw. I think carrying a hatchet, and going to a smaller fixed blade, as you have done, makes a certain amount sense.

...Whether or not the narrow-band efficiency is worth giving up for that durability and versatility is a matter only the individual can answer for their specific contextual use cases.

This really bears repeating. And applies to so many of these types of questions on BF - context has a huge bearing on the selection of appropriate tools. And the responses so far demonstrate that. There is no blanket, one-size-fits-all answer.

Yeah. I have a unique set up that makes no sense unless you know the circumstances.

I tend to motorcycle camp mostly. And generally go to paid campsites. Even remote ones are are council controlled and cos about $8.

And at these campsites there are generally fire pits but no wood. Because they have been scoured clean by everyone else.

But I can generally buy wood at farms or something on the way.

But that is the off cuts of Australian hardwood. That is possibly the worst knottiest horrendous stuff that exists.

So I tend to either pack the battioniest knife I can or a little axe. And a folder.

And work from there.

Sounds like fun, I used to motorcycle camp a fair bit. At a certain point I decided that I had too many engines kicking around, and that too much of my life was taken up with repairing and maintaining them all, and the KLR was among the "Unneccessary engines" that I ended up selling. Great fun though.

P6270019 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

As over-done as this topic is, I still enjoy it.

My opinion, most simply put:
A saw and almost any knife is enough for most people's firewood processing needs, including my own. However, if I could only bring one tool into the woods with me, it would be a hatchet.

I should add, time of year matters. If I'm winter camping, more likely to have an axe. Long nights likely means bigger campfires and the fire is nice for warmth. Also, more likely to have the tent stove along. If there's snow and I have a sled along, dragging an axe along isn't such a big deal.

Chopping wood also warms you up a bit, just don't get too sweaty or you're going to have a bad time.

I don't care for hatchets, though, and would grab a forest axe, hudson bay axe, or boys axe, or maybe a tomahawk if I feel like going light. The hawks don't split as well though, but I feel safer with the longer handle vs a hatchet.

I will also fully confess that I have a council tools saddle axe and love it. Even if it's full novelty, it's fun as heck to use and having the chopping edge and splitting/rough use edge are nice to have. It still splits well, but I always go longwise so it doesn't get stuck easily. I used a sharpy to mark the different edges to take the guesswork out (thin line, thick line) and molded kydex edge covers.

It comes along in my haversack quite a bit. A CS finn hawk folder sits in the bottom of the haversack and usually a belt knife that's an adequate carver, and the fire starting stuff. I'm a cheater and have been using an electric candle lighter a lot lately, but there's a ferro and bic in there too, along with some fire starter material.

Last edited:
I should add, time of year matters. If I'm winter camping, more likely to have an axe. Long nights likely means bigger campfires and the fire is nice for warmth. Also, more likely to have the tent stove along. If there's snow and I have a sled along, dragging an axe along isn't such a big deal.

Chopping wood also warms you up a bit, just don't get too sweaty or you're going to have a bad time.

I don't care for hatchets, though, and would grab a forest axe, hudson bay axe, or boys axe, or maybe a tomahawk if I feel like going light. The hawks don't split as well though, but I feel safer with the longer handle vs a hatchet.

I will also fully confess that I have a council tools saddle axe and love it. Even if it's full novelty, it's fun as heck to use and having the chopping edge and splitting/rough use edge are nice to have. It still splits well, but I always go longwise so it doesn't get stuck easily. I used a sharpy to mark the different edges to take the guesswork out (thin line, thick line) and molded kydex edge covers.

It comes along in my haversack quite a bit. A CS finn hawk folder sits in the bottom of the haversack and usually a belt knife that's an adequate carver, and the fire starting stuff. I'm a cheater and have been using an electric candle lighter a lot lately, but there's a ferro and bic in there too, along with some fire starter material.

Yeah, any time I'm pulling a toboggan, paddling a canoe, or any other situation where the space/ weight doesnt matter I always keep a fair sized axe. My smallest axe is a 23" Fiskars "Chopping Axe", that axe gets taken quite a bit even though I preffer a little more length. I've got a "Berghaus Sweden" head, and a couple other unmarked old heads on 26-30" handles that I use to split a winter's worth of wood every spring.

I do the majority of my hiking and scouting in the winter, usually day trips getting 5-10 miles back, mostly bushwhacking or traveling on game trails, so the folding saw and big knife in my day pack are mainly there incase I end up having to stay the night in the woods for whatever reason. Hunting I get almost that far off-trail but with very minimal gear, which I do realise is sometimes walking a fine line should something go wrong. Summer in northern Canada means a whole pile of mosquitos in the bush, so I mostly stick to fishing when its warm.

Last edited:
A modestly sized belt knife and a pocket knife which are things I often have one me already, plus a hatchet, and a folding saw.
View attachment 2447798
I love this photo. Would you share what knife that is, what you use to wrap the hatchet, what hatchet it is, and how you stained the saw?

let me know what you think.
From what you are describing I'd recommend a small machete and maybe a SAK Trekker (has a good locking blade and a saw)

I love this photo. Would you share what knife that is, what you use to wrap the hatchet, what hatchet it is, and how you stained the saw?
The knife is a Russell green river 2212 sheath knife blade that I handled and customized.
For the belt axe handle I wrapped it with cotton twine then slathered it with melted beeswax.

The saw is a modified fanno no.9 , it is not stained it's darkened with a torch.

From what you are describing I'd recommend a small machete and maybe a SAK Trekker (has a good locking blade and a saw)

My current tools are leaning in that direction, with the addition of a 7" Corona saw. If I were to add a hatchet I would downsize the fixed blade knife, possibly ditch the saw.

RIMG0074 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr

Thanks. I was wondering if it was a Grohman, hard to see in the photo, but is it one of the flat ground ones? John
No, its not flat ground, I dont think Grohmann offers that particular model with a flat grind, but I could be wrong. Honestly, I have no real attachment to that particular knife, it was given to me as a gift, it works for big knife stuff about as well as anything else. I think I would rather have the No4 Survival Knife if I was buying it myself, just based on how much I love the No1.

Last edited:
I have their mini Russell lockback and it's a great knife.

Glad to hear that, I havnt handled one of their folders in a very long time, but 7 or 8 years ago every single Grohmann folder I handled had major blade wobble problems... especially considering the price. I was of the opinion that they should quit making them, to avoid wrecking their reputation, but I'd be thrilled to hear that they've worked out the bugs.

Glad to hear that, I havnt handled one of their folders in a very long time, but 7 or 8 years ago every single Grohmann folder I handled had major blade wobble problems... especially considering the price. I was of the opinion that they should quit making them, to avoid wrecking their reputation, but I'd be thrilled to hear that they've worked out the bugs.
This knife is great, and it was even a factory second too.
I was under the impression that their folders must be very high quality If a knife this well done didn't even meet their QC standards.
I've had the knife for 4 or 5 years at this point too.

Back