1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Hatchets on longer handles

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Nov 25, 2012.

1. hill1096

hill1096

Oct 13, 2012
    I'll be yer friend.

2. scrub

scrub

Dec 12, 2011
    I like this idea. I have a beefy Collins head that I'd like to get on a longer handle I was thinking between 16-19" but maybe longer would be interesting.

3. scrub

scrub

Dec 12, 2011
    oops double.

4. A Visitor

A Visitor

Jan 19, 2009
    I think it is a great idea. If US handle makers would offer a 20" 21" hatchet handle it would blow the foreign "Boutique" axe market away. I picked up a few 18" handles from House and they feel great. The niche market for bushcraft and hiking axes could easily be met with vintage heads and new handles. Just price out a replacement handle for a GB/ Wetterlings I you don't believe me.
    [​IMG]

5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Looks cool. It would appeal to a lot of people. My latest favorite is a boys axe on a 18" handle, which a lot of folks would hate. Good thing we all don't like the same thing or it sure would be boring.
    I think the older handles add a lot of character. You do good work Coop.

6. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    thanks.

I think that was called a house axe back in the day? 2# on a 18'-19" handle.

7. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes that would be close to a house axe. Nineteen inches seems to be all the handle I want to swing with one hand. I am not at all a fan of choking up on a handle either. So those hatchets you are hanging would be two handed for me. I would think some of the Bush craft folks would love that set up. More so if pack weight is a concern. It could serve them very well I would think.