Have you ever dropped your knife?

I've dropped a few here and there, closed blade, like in the house on the couch, etc, so no big deal. The one that sticks out though:

I got a brand new SOCFK with black blade and was playing with it walking my parents dogs while they were out of town. Not looking where I was going I kicked a root or something, knife went flying, and I did try to catch it.. tip of blade straight down into my palm, then the knife fell on a rock and scratched up the side of the blade a bit, just enough to always remind me when I see it.

Super glued my hand when I got back to the house, and other than my bruised ego, I was ok. I laugh a bit everytime I see the scratch, which is often as the knife is in regular rotation.

Middle of the blade you can see it:
29P1ku3.jpg

But she ain't no safe queen, so it's all good.
d8XKYB3.jpg

I have dropped two that I can remember - my AGR Acies and my HTM Forum Gunhammer -

Both were as I was walking from my truck into work as I sometimes fidget with a knife during my commute, and then I start walking away from my truck and tuck the knife back into my pocket.

Both times the knife got a small ding, and both times the knife was closed. I had no time to try to catch the falling knife.

I would never reach for a falling, exposed blade. I keep them way too sharp for an air-grab.

best

mqqn

Context for my first reply: I often fondle or fidget flip with my off hand while driving on straightaways. I stop and usually put my folder across my lap when I get in traffic or anything other than open road. I usually forget that I’ve done so.

This often results in standing up to get out of the car and ejecting my folder onto pavement.

I’ve been there more times than one

I’ve dropped a few knives, most were ok and others were, “Holy shit I just threw that knife 10 feet across concrete”, haha. The worst was a CRKT M-16 that I was gifted like 4 days before the incident, the incident being what’s in quotations above. Luckily it fared a lot better than I was expecting, a bit of edge damage and a few scratches on the handle and blade. Sharpened it up and continue to enjoy the little blade from time to time.

I recently dropped a Glock knife at shoulder height into a bin full of sockets. The sockets fared better than the 5160, which caused some serious rolls in the edge, no chipping though.

I have dropped all my work knives at least a dozzen times apiece but due to the grace of the knife gods and good habbits they were all closed at the time. Thats also the reson I wont take a knife on a jobsite that cost over $60 bucks but the first time I dropped an open knife I had to stop myself in midreach when I tryed to grab it. Like NapalmCheese siad "A falling knife has no handle".

Once or twice, at work and at home..

When I got my para 3 cruwear sprint the detent was insane. I opened it by spydieflick and the whole knife flew 2 meters out of my hand haha. First time for everything I guess..
It fell on my stone pave way and there was only minor chipping!
A pm2 S110V fell 3 meters down into a concrete pit. Damage was easily fixed.

A friend recently played around with my red dlt m390 pm2, freshly sharpened up. And the moron drops it. Because he had to show some other people how awesome the compression lock Was and how wicked sharp I get them. He's my best friend for a decade now, and I love the guy but auch. He gets more fun out of it then me. So I usually indulge him. Ofcourse I asked if it didn't cut him because it was bleeding sharp 15 degrees per side polished up to 4000 grit. After checking that I actually found myself getting very angry with him. He's a grown ass man who treats it like a toy despite me warning him for as long as I know him.. I'm definitely not giving him another of my knives. It's always nice when someone appreciates your taste in knives and moreso my sharpening skills, and it always went alright before but at a certain point I'm done warning and I'll take some bandages with me. I've offered him to take my cruwear para 3 for 1 buck off my hands (I'm no fan of it) so he can learn proper handling of a tool and perhaps the novelty will wear off.

I dropped my protech tr5 assisted point down on a ceramic tile floor and watched the very pointy tip go bye-bye but protech with there great customer service replaced the blade for like 50 bucks and had it back to me in 2 weeks.But when I dropped it all I could do was call myself a dumbass for being careless.

Yeah, lots of times. Many of my knives have the scars to prove it.

It seems like the longer I have a knife, the less I drop it.

Yes I have. Last one was when I dropped my Bastinelli Pika karambit on a stone floor. Tip first. Had to re-tip the blade. Damn it was irritating.

Yes I have. Last one was when I dropped my Bastinelli Pika karambit on a stone floor. Tip first. Had to re-tip the blade. Damn it was irritating.

Oh man, re-profiling an inward curving blade tip? I can imagine how much that sucked. I still want to pick one of those up though, eventually.

They're tools; tools get dropped on occasion.

Worse than dropping a knife is dropping a loaded firearm. Takes all you have NOT to try catching one. But better a scar on a $700 handgun than catching it by the trigger.

As for knives... I've got one that wasn't just dropped, but was in my pocket and got road rash from sliding on the pavement in a motorcycle accident! I'll try to get pics of it tomorrow.

I once bought this assist flip ckrt tanto knife and I was showing my wife how quick it opened. She was impressed and want to try it. She flipped it a downward motion and stabbed herself right in the stomach

I just took it out of the box and she got blood all over it .

She was like, omg is there a whole in my shirt now? And I'm like ....honey your bleeding every where.

Women ..

Have you ever dropped your knife?
Twice i have had the misfortune to see two knives fall tip first...
One bent and the other chipped.
As much as i would have liked to snatch them in midair,
my reaction time then would have allowed a snail to slip pass me somehow...

When i habe dropped one i tend to move my feet out of the way. Iv seen what happens when a knife lands on your foot. Not good

Back