Have you ever made love to your hammer?

It sounds crazy but tonight I almost did. I am 75% done with my freon tank mini forge and my mouth is watering. I have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Well tonight I happened to see the "chosen one", my hammer of choice of course, sitting on my kitchen table. It got me a little excited thinking that in a couple of weeks the "chosen one" and I will relish in some banging in my garage. I picked it up and fondled it like a kid with his first bb gun. I have had dozens of hammers over the years but the "chosen one" is different from all the others. The "chosen one" is special.

The "chosen one" is not just any hammer. For starters it was free. You see, it was left behind hanging in our garage when we purchased our house. The "chosen one" is about a 4 lb. hammer with a 12" handle. It is forged from one piece of steel, handle too, with a very comfortable rubber grip. Did I mention it was free? Yes hopefully the "chosen one" and I will embark on many forging adventures together. We will sail the seven seas of molten iron searching for that one malleable chunk of steel with which the "chosen one" can brand it's message into. Happy pounding to redirect the shape of the grains of life. The "chosen one" and Cory McAlpin
Thumbnail

------------------
"I am a shootist."
Clay Allison
"Does this mean we are bladists?"
McAlpin Blades
http://www.geocities.com/mcalpinblades

Cory-

When you're grinding all on those dangerous materials...don't inhale the dust!
wink.gif

Maybe you and your wife should have a night out???
biggrin.gif

I do know what you mean though, I was all giddy when my forge was reaching completion. And the doors it will open are awesome.

Let us know how it works out!
Nick

Cory,

Do yourself a favor and get a French Locksmith's hammer from Centaur Forge. YOu will want a 800 gram or larger hammer. These hammers come with a squared off face which you will want to grind the edges off of and polish. The finished product is really comfortable to use and moves the steel very efficiently. The mechanics type hammer that you show in your picture is really not a good forging hammer IMHO unless your goal is to simply bash the $hit out of the steel. You need something that will give you control. Another good choice would be a two pound cross peen hammer with similarly polished face. Other may disagree about the weight but I find 2 lbs to be a good all around weight for me.

------------------
Peter Atwood

email: fountainman@hotmail.com

Cory,

I think Nick is right...you've been breathin' too much dust from that new grinder of yours! (hee hee)

I shipped the ceramic wool for your forge around Thursday.....I had troubles finding some boxes for it to ship in so I 'm sorry for the delay. Anyway, it went Priority so if you didn't get it over the weekend, you see it Monday or so.

Have fun with it....and remember to wear a dust mask when grinding....for our sake (hee hee)

Rob Frink

You're a lucky man Cory. To have found true love like you have is a rare thing. I hope yall are happy together and have a wonderful life. Congratulation! She is a very lovely hammer by the way if you don't mind me saying. Nice curves coming off her head going down to that sensual apple seed grip. She's a beauty! Remember to learn her cycle so you don't piss her off.
wink.gif

------------------
http://www.livelyknives.com

[This message has been edited by lively (edited 04-15-2001).]

Rob I got the wool saturday. I mailed the shipping cost out to you saturday also. I do not think it was metal dust as much as handle material. That stuff clogs my sinuses (before I got my respirator) and really made me think weird things. It may not be the best hammer for the job but considering I have absolutely no idea what I am doing it will work long enough for me to figure out forging. I did light my charcoal forge today and started forging a piece of automobile front end steel with this hammer on a homemade anvil. I know I need a better anvil and possibly a better hammer (unsure yet) but I ended up with a letter opener before my wife came out and said the baby is awake. So I doused my fire and it was over. I may never learn how to forge cause I may never have enough time to spend doing it. I get partially done (you could never guess by looking at the p.o.s. I was turning that steel into) and I have to quit. But I had fun while it lasted. I envy you full time guys who can quit when you want to and do not have as many distractions. My wife wants another kid. I think I will have to think long and hard about that. lol Cory

------------------
"I am a shootist."
Clay Allison
"Does this mean we are bladists?"
McAlpin Blades
http://www.geocities.com/mcalpinblades

I have been using a 3 pound cross peen hammer that was made in China for years now,But I have been secretly wanting to Divorce her for this sweet little French model that I had a affair with a few years ago and boy did she really turn my crank that day.She could move metal better than my old one could.This last weekend at the Symposium I had a chance to pick her up again and couldn't stand it no more and so I brought here home with me.I smoothed here face allitle and thinned her handle to fit my hand a little better and then took her to the anvil so we could make sweet music together.Boy was she allot different than my old China doll hammer who is now hanging on the wall with all the other hammers that I own.I don't think that I will be trading my new Baby for something different for a long time.Whenever I look out at the anvil that she is setting on it just makes me want to go caress her and work some hot steel,But I have to finish up the last blade that we forged together first then I can play with her some more.I don't think I wil ever let myself stray again....
biggrin.gif

Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Back