Having Trouble Sharpening w/ Belt Sander

me2

I noticed on a chef's knife I sharpened for a neighbor, and on a few of my own knives, that sometimes I leave a small divot right in front of the choil/plunge grind. Its 1/4" to 1/2" in front, and, now that I've noticed, seems to be on most blades I've sharpened more than 2 times. I had a Kershaw Vapor that I sharpened on the sander most of the times it needed sharpening, but it was recurved anyway, so I didnt notice it there. Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone know how to fix it? I'm using a Harbor Freight 1x30 with a 180 to 320 grit belt (which ever is cheapest and most available; its happened on all the grits) from either Klingspor or Fastenall. It happens sharpening edge trailing, leading, w/ or w/o the platen as a backing.

If you look at the belt on the sander it does not sit flat, due to the shape of the wheels it rides on. This bothered me enough that I bought a delta belt sander that the belt sits even on.

that happens to me sometimes if i'm not careful about my timing...

what i mean is that i pause when i'm lining up the angle at the heel of the blade...so the belt contacts for a half a second longer than the rest of the edge.

i have solved this by using a very light touch, especially on thin bladed kitchen knives and similar, as well as not pausing when i put the blade on the belt...just one long smooth stroke. i line up the angle off of the belt and just move the edge down the belt without any pauses.

that happens to me sometimes if i'm not careful about my timing...

what i mean is that i pause when i'm lining up the angle at the heel of the blade...so the belt contacts for a half a second longer than the rest of the edge.

i have solved this by using a very light touch, especially on thin bladed kitchen knives and similar, as well as not pausing when i put the blade on the belt...just one long smooth stroke. i line up the angle off of the belt and just move the edge down the belt without any pauses.

siguy has nailed it! :thumbup:

You could also try (first on some throw away blades) starting your grind at the tip instead of the heel.

I would also move higher on the belt. If you work just below the top wheel or on it the results are dramatically different. Be very careful though.

me2

Thanks. I'll try again tomorrow night. I've got 2 10 degree guides I made that I'm dying to try out. One is for edge leading, the other for edge trailing. Should be interesting.

You might benefit greatly be going here and watching the belt sander videos. Brian did a great job with them and it really explains a lot.