Hawk Design Advice?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Based on a design sent to me by the customer, adapted for .140" MagnaCut. 4" blade, 15.5" handle from base of hawk head to end of handle. Will be heat treated on the softer side, and over .020" behind the edge. I want it to be fast and I want it to be strong enough. I'm not educated in this stuff (physics, engineering, etc), and I was confident at first, but my eyes tell me something is still off. What is it? The skeletonization near the head of the hawk? Or am I good to go?

img_8110-jpg.1918039

Or maybe like this?

1662088279376.png

I feel like that is the spot that will experience the most torque, but also seems like a very important spot to save some weight.

It's my current version.

Ah but a fool I would be! Hold on

It looks pretty good to me but I'm not really qualified to say much about it.

I don't like the second hole from the top being as large as it is but I'm not sure that it really matters much.

Well I just got to thinking that if he's heavy handing it that long slot at the base is going to be a stress riser too. I figured light and fast hawk he's going to hold it choked up, but maybe not always, and if he hits say a wood door, then stress will build up right there big time.

Hits like that over time, probably, or a monster hit not really suited to the design.... Like hitting a cement wall. So maybe I'm overthinking it?

Would fullers going up the handle instead of holes and slots make the Hawk lighter and also stronger?

Now I'm thinking the whole handle is too wide....... hidden tang?

Would fullers going up the handle instead of holes and slots make the Hawk lighter and also stronger?
Yes, but I think I'm still a ways off from a proper process for fullers.

You haven't seen my shop then. :)

I know I have room to set up the equipment to do all that. But it's going to take me time.

Okay. I know it's a little funny looking, but there will be textured suretouch hiding it all, secured by the four 1/4" pin holes.

1662104593204.png

And yes, I can probably do fullers as well, since they'll be hidden. I'm just not good at nice looking fullers. The truth comes out.

Back