Hawk recommendation?

I'm looking for a good hawk for less than a hundred bucks. I know about Cold Steel, and I'm sure their stuff is good, but I'm not a fan of the company. Does anyone else have anything worth buying in that price range?

Great! If you pick one up be sure to post pics. :thumbup: Oh, sorry that a couple of those links were outside the specified price range, I didn't pay attention. Just wanted to show that there are lots of options from local makers too.

Coal Creek Forge makes some really cool $50 and $60 hawks if you watch for his threads, they're really handsome looking too. :thumbup:

Yeah I saw some of his stuff but wasn't sure about the prices. I'll keep an eye out for them. This hawk thing is a rather recent fixation for me. A friend bought a couple different CS hawks and we got into throwing them a couple weeks back. I'm gonna order a couple Fort Turner norse hawks for throwers/users and then maybe save up for a Willis. Those things are too pretty to use, even though I'm sure they can take anything I can dish out.

Spooky i heard that all the way up here,these Poll Hawk's/Hatchet's have really taken off.

Carolina River Rat,check out the attached photo
Steve

Yeah I saw some of his stuff but wasn't sure about the prices. I'll keep an eye out for them. This hawk thing is a rather recent fixation for me. A friend bought a couple different CS hawks and we got into throwing them a couple weeks back. I'm gonna order a couple Fort Turner norse hawks for throwers/users and then maybe save up for a Willis. Those things are too pretty to use, even though I'm sure they can take anything I can dish out.

Hello Carolina River Rat, I'm a River Rat also "From The Bank's of The Missouri River Eastern Nebraska" I've got 5 TomaHawk's from Steve at Coal Creek Forge, And each one Is Hammered out to Hawk-Perfection, He's a Great Hawk Maker/Man to Deal with and Stand's behind his work, I've got one from Dana at Fort Turner and It's real nice also, I got the Hardend Pole Trapper's Hawk, And I got several Cold Steel Hawk's there nice "But They Aint American Made" I'm buying American Made TomaHawk's from here on out, And I prefer Hammer Forged, You'll find out when you Buy a TomaHawk your gonna Buy another & another & another, I'm a Hawk-A-Holic "And I'm Proud Of It !

Greetings fellow River Rat! Always good to hear about people appreciating our precious waterways. I already have terminal HIKV (Himalayan Imports Khukuri Virus), if I become a chronic Hawkaholic as well, my long-suffering girlfriend might head for greener pastures. I'll sure miss her.

CRR,I have the CS norse and trail hawks[my 1st 2 hawks] then i bought a FT buck hawK which is great,joined The BF,s and bought my first spike hawk[VCTAC].welome aboard.this is a great place.JBEE

I strongly second the recommendation on Coal Creek -- I just got my first hawk from Steve and it's pretty close to perfect.

I've also got a Fort Turner Iroquois and it's pretty nice. Probably wouldn't be a bad thrower. But there are little things about it that I'm not wild about (alignment of the blade to the eye, etc.)

The Coal Creek hawk I just got cost the same as the FT, but I feel it's much better quality. As in, no comparison. But, if you get an FT you'll probably like it, lots of people here do. I might have just been unlucky with mine.

No matter what, I *strongly* encourage you to stick with your plan and buy from an American craftsman. So get one from Steve or Dana or Stuart and rest easy...

Back