Hawk Talk!!!

Our forum's success is so thrilling!!! My thanks to all of you for making this so much fun.

I would like to start a discussion about camp site and field applications for your Hawk. Add some of your own, but I'll share a few of mine...

1) Wood Chopping...just in case you didn't know a Hawk could do that
biggrin.gif
LOL!

2) Hammering..stakes, wood, fabrication of major man (or animal) traps, etc.

3) Digging...without using the cutting edge!!! The Spike and Light Infantry Belt Hawks are GREAT for this!

4) Recreational Throwing....camp site stories will abound!!! Rangers used to throw their Hawks for recreation all the time!!! That's why a Throwing Event is being included for the first time in history at the Best Ranger Contest this April! ATC will be there to organize and supervise the event!

5) Bear Safety!!! If Tristan had a Hawk in the movie, "Legends of the Fall", the ending would have been quite different!

6) Climbing Aid on steep inclines...the Spike Hawk is wonderful for this...the handle configuration is too, as it is virtually impossible to pull the handle out of the head from the bottom, as it is tapered and dropped in from the top!!! If it were fitted on from the bottom of the head, this would not be the case.

7) Caping and Cleaning Wild Game.....Peter LaGana has cleaned and caped more small and large game with his Vietnam Hawk that one could possibly imagine...it's an acquired technique and Hawk design is important..but quartering and cleaning can be done with the same tool that camps, chops, and throws. The Hawk is VERY versatile!

Share some of your experiences and thoughts!!!

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

As those who visit the Sword Forum on a regular basis know, I fight Live steel rapier every week, and have on occasion used a 'hawk in place of the Main Gauche dagger.
It's been surprisingly effective. Fast and powerful parrys and laying the flat of the hawk across an opponents back or shoulder gets the message across very nicely.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

The light infantry hawk looks like it will do away with all arguments about "which blade is the best chopper". I think this hawk will replace the BIG KNIFE when chopping, splitting kindling, limbing, and a host of other chores that so many demand in a BIG knife. With this hawk and a knife with up to a 7" blade....what more could a fella want??
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington
0071.gif

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 02-02-2001).]

I'd like to talk about hawks with you guys, but Andy's post has gotten me a little vehclempt... Topic: compare the social, political and spiritual ramifications of neo-modern tomohawk ownership, and how may it aid the new administration contend tensions with China, (would it have had an assuasive effect on Deng Xiaoping during the Tiananmen crisis), looming Bioterrorism threats and various hurdles now incumbent in our forein free trade policy....talk amoungst yourselves.

I'll have what Unc's having.
wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Some other chores I would use it for is trap stabilizing, and clearing shooting lanes when setting up new tree stands.

Around these parts........ lots of us build our own permanent tree stands from wood planks. With the hawk I could carry one tool for both building the stand and clearing the shooting lanes. Typically I carry a hammer AND a machete for the same tasks.

The hawk would also be good for hammering nails used to stabilize connibear traps.

I look forward to learning how to throw one. I think that will be a blast and worth the purchase, or two, or three........

Hey Ken, I study various disciplines and am curious how you found the hawk to perform blocking/deflecting movements both in speed and efficiency? Its footprint is similar to the "kama" and I plan on getting some kama training to try with a hawk. I am thinking with training and practice a hawk could perform some nice hooking and trapping techniques as well.

[This message has been edited by GPB (edited 02-02-2001).]

Brian,
Good luck, it's all gone. All thats left are some damn peripheral monkeys; the 80's sure left its mark.
smile.gif

These posts are EXCELLENT...let's keep them comin'!

GPB....the Hawk IS excellent for trapping and hooking techniques.

Peter LaGana demonstrated this during one of his official visits to the Pentagon when he fought off multiple attackers armed with fixed bayonet rifles. He disarmed all of them in front of an offical panel of Generals observing the demonstration, to display the viability of the Hawk in close quarter combat.

We will be sharing pics of this event in our Peter LaGana Virtual Museum when the website is up!!

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
877-557-5200
----------------------

The spike hawk would make a nice makeshift ice axe as well. Should your adventures ever take you into glacial territory, the spike would be of great help in clamoring up an icy slope, or, should you begin sliding, the spike could be augered into the slope for effective self-arrest. Later, you could use it to chop out blocks of ice for a snow shelter.
smile.gif

I find a lot of similarities between 'Hawks and Khukuris. Both are excellent chopping tools and both could be used to defend against enemies, two or four legged. But I have yet to see anyone throw a Khuk with any accuracy
smile.gif

I like tools that just happen to be weapons
biggrin.gif

AWESOME! I've carried a VN spike style hawk for about 10 years as an entry tool "on the job". It's been used to force doors, break windows (auto and house), disable auto tires, and do about a thousand misc. things that a knife doesn't do well. It is a fantastic back up weapon for QCB and as such it is a constant source of comfort to me. It's attached to my tac vest in my equipment bag everyday and I wouldn't leave home without it.

It's about time that hawks got a forum and a quality made product. I'll be saving my spare $ up.
DH

This is all great input....

...funny you you gents should mention the ice axe application and dynamic entry usage for the Hawk
wink.gif
We hoped people would start making the connection cause something's comiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
877-557-5200
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Andy Prisco (edited 02-05-2001).]

I have currently been looking at a few of the Granfors Swedish hatchets and axes for rough log carpentry projects and am suddenly drawn to the possibility of using a 'hawk for some of the smaller work.
The light infantry model looks like it could perform well in this area and maybe some of you could elaborate on experiences in this type of use. As I'm not too familiar with tomahawk styles, will there be one available with a flat/straight face versus the curved one of the that mentioned above?

Thanks

Thanks for your question Strabs....ATC's Hawks excel as choppers and camp tools. As each Hawk is designed with throwability in mind, they sport raised upper edges, which is called the leading edge. The are slightly raised to increase the sticking radius of the Hawk...I don't believe they would perform any differently than a flat faced Hatchet in chopping and cutting....rather, you can throw your Hawk for fun after doin' some work with it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
877-557-5200
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Andy Prisco (edited 02-13-2001).]

'Hawks also make great climbing aids in a pinch. Not only can you use it to hook onto branches, but you can also stick it into a tree(very hard) and actually use it to stand on. I used to do this often with a hatchet. Andy, any plans of a full sized forest axe? A full sized wood axe with a little "Andy" flair to it, would be awesome!

------------------

Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive"

We have a design by Ehlers for a full size Axe that it absolutely terrifying!!! But, in due time...right now the emphasis of what we are doing is on Rogers' Rangers, LaGana, then Ehlers', in that order of availability.

Updates on this forum will abound in the coming weeks!!!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and support folks!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
877-557-5200
----------------------

In addition to other uses mentioned above:

Digging post holes

Drilling into wood for shelter and/or other purposes(spike side)

Shadow stick/Sun compass (bury it upside down with handle straight up)

Fishing tool: similar to hand fishing -- hook under the fish and flip it out of the water onto land. Or try spiking it...<g> Use as fish carrier back to camp.

Hide scraper for rawhide and tanned hides...

Business end of a game trap

Primitive navigation tool (gauging distance to objects and heights of objects such as trees and hills/mountains)

Tracking stick for measuring stride, straddle, etc.

Chopping out tree to make emergency canoe (try that with a knife for an exercise in frustration!)

Using reflective surface of hawk head as signalling device

Wood straightener or bender (as in arrows or spears)

I'll think of more...

Brian.

------------------
Brian Jones
Co-moderator
Wilderness & Survival Skills Forum

Back