hay-budden anvil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a hay-budden anvil- it is in new condition, top is perfectly flat like new. the face measures approx 4" wide 16" long, total length including horn is approx 26" in length. Can someone give me an Idea on how much this anvil weights. Or where I can find information on Hay-Budden Anvils any help would be appreciated.

My Hay Budden is a 152 pounder. The face is 4.125 x 18 and the overall length is about 28 inches. There should be the weight stamp on the side of it, and the serial number will be below the waste under the horn.

The guys over at keenjunk or anvilfire will probably be able to tell you when it was made if you post the serial number. My serial number is 205805 and the anvil was made in 1913.

Here is what the guys from Keenjunk told me:

Laredo, If memory serves right, you have a post 1909 Hay Budden. This date is significant because starting in 1909, Hay Budden abandoned the old practice of forge welding a tool steel plate to the tops of their anvils. Instead they simply forged the entire top half(waist up) out of tool steel. I think the cutoff serial # was around 13000. The other # is likely an inspection mark. You can find the exact date of manufacture if you can get access to a copy of Anvils in America

I am not familiar with this brand but a lot brands stamp the
weight with a set of 3 numbers across the side of the anvil.

For example
hundred weight ---- quarters ---- pounds

1 ------ 3 ------ 9

=

112 + 84 + 9 = 205lb

If my maths is wrong my excuse is the metric system and of course I may be stupid aswell.

Your Hay budden should be stamped with pounds. Mine has a stamp of 152 and it weighs 152 pounds. Peter Wrights and some others use the english weight system taht Reg describes.

Rene, you are a damned lucky dog, you are! I worked on a Hay-Budden anvil when I was a blacksmith's apprentice back in the 80's. They are very nice anvils indeed. Enjoy! :)

hey, I just remeasured my anvil, and the face is 16.5 inches long and 4.125 wide. Total length is 27 inches from tail to tip.

I would say you have one in the 150 pound range. They are great anvils. I love mine. Mine has about a 0.065 sway in the face, but it works great for straitening billets. That little sway must allow some overtravel when straitening.:confused:

Good ones are still out there but are hard to find.

Rene,

Congrats. If you ever decide to sell it, please call me first. We can do $$$ or a knife, up to you.

John

John,
Your about the 5th person to ask me that! Really!

I want to thank everyone for there help, I really appreicate it. I have been looking for an anvil for years...I am happy I found this one..:D Thanks again all.

Originally posted by John Frankl
Rene,

Congrats. If you ever decide to sell it, please call me first. We can do $$$ or a knife, up to you.

John

If the face is in perfect shape you really did score big. I've been keeping my eyes open for a good anvil for some time also. I currently use my grandfathers old anvil. It's nice to have a working heirloom but the anvil definitly has issues. I've about decided I may have to make my own post anvil one of these days. Hay-Budden is a very good make of anvil too. Boy, a friend of mine has a 300 pounder (it looks like a Peter Wright but is unmarked) in near perfect shape and it is an absolute dream to forge on.

I saw your hay budden information. I have one that weighs #257 and is number A29,200. I think it was originally bought for a hydro electric project near Fresno CA in the early 20's. I wonder if anyone knows more about it.
Thanks

I saw your hay budden information. I have one that weighs #257 and is number A29,200. I think it was originally bought for a hydro electric project near Fresno CA in the early 20's. I wonder if anyone knows more about it.
Thanks

Rene pasted away about a year ago.. :( may god rest his sole..

I recently picked up a 202# Hay-Budden for $130 at an estate sale. It is clearly marked "202" and it weighs that on the scales--although if you have to carry it very far it feels like a ton.

I'm not sure how you guys feel but I'd like do see this thread stay where it was
out of respect for Rene.. :eek:
after all it's almost 4 years old now
you can start a new thread you know...

thanks, I may be way off base but it's the way I feel sorry.. I'll say no more..

maybe Mark can lock this thread so this wont happen again.............

Rene is a missed fella, thats for sure. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back