Head vs Heart; My Thoughts on Collecting and Using. How do YOU "collect"?

I decided if I'm going to spend significant time thinking about knives, I might as well share some of those thoughts.

PwT5Av3l.jpg

The question of what the “right way” to express enthusiasm for knives is one that shouldn’t need answered. I find it silly and overbearing for anyone to suppose that they should or can tell another the best way to enjoy a hobby. Still, I have gone through several phases in regard to the idea of keeping knives as collection pieces in contrast to keeping them as using tools, and I think others have had similar shifts in perspectives. In this post I’ll describe my progression through those stages and how my current collection looks… but no guarantees it won’t change again!

0Onhg4pl.jpg

nDU6Chsl.jpg

I, like many, started with having only one knife that I used for everything. I didn’t even really consider the idea of having knives as collection pieces, and probably would have scoffed at the idea had it been suggested. Still, I was what I would consider a knife enthusiast though, as I appreciated the knife not just as a tool but as a piece of mechanical workmanship that elevated man’s most ancient tool to a higher level. I think there is a silent but quite large population of people who fit this category; they appreciate a good knife and see it as more than a disposable tool, but they don’t venture further into the hobby with more knives and deeper research.

sjg7i7sl.jpg

eE1TRpIl.jpg

A desire to know more about a particular knife brought me to the next step in the knife hobby. I don’t remember exactly what I was looking up, but in the process I found BladeForums and my eyes were opened to the wide world of the knife hobby. As I read, watched, and listened I grew more knowledgeable on knives, the knife making process, and the knife community in general. At this stage I began to purchase more knives beyond one user, but the number stayed relatively low and all were used regularly. I think this represents another distinct stage in the knife enthusiast scale, as it is a step out of appreciating knives as an individual separate from any other enthusiasts, and into the larger knife community. I stayed at this stage for a while, buying and selling and trading knives as I learned. During this stage I never amassed a significant enough number of knives that any would go unused for long. I think this is a stage that a lot of people also stay in and don’t move deeper into the hobby from, but fewer than the previous stage.

BSTpsJ4l.jpg

wQ7a0ohl.jpg

The final stage is reached when you have more than enough knives to use, but you keep buying them anyway! Often, I think people reach this stage also because they start to realize their preferences and build coherent collections. This is when knives accumulate to the point that some don’t get used. Another thing that often happens before this stage is you start to accumulate knives that are rare, have sentimental value, etc. that make them less likely to be used. This stage probably has the widest variation in expression; some people might have one knife they use all the time and 100 (or 1000) that they never use or carry at all, and some might have 100 knives that they carry and use in a rotation and only 10 (or 1) that they have as a non user collection piece. I fall somewhere on that spectrum closer to the latter end.

qGydrY8l.jpg

However, I don’t believe those stages tell the whole story of knife collecting. For me, being a knife collector is about enjoying the hobby. For some people, that means having and using one knife till the wheels fall off. For others, that means buying every trendy or appealing knife that comes out and keeping them pristine. For me, it has come to mean many things. First, it means enjoying the knives I have. While I do keep some knives as pristine as possible, I try to enjoy them by displaying them and showing them at knife club meetings and shows. Other knives I enjoy by carrying and using them. I find that using a knife is the best way to enjoy it. It just feels right to use a knife as a tool, and doing so seems to confirm its value and place as the most fundamental human tool. So, why not use all my knives? For a long time, I didn’t think I had a satisfactory answer to that question. I had valuable knives, both of the monetary and sentimental type, but I thought that if I didn’t use them it was a waste to keep them. However, that led me to sell knives that I later wished I had kept (which will be the subject of another article). Now, I’ve become comfortable with the idea that some knives are better kept in good condition whether it be because they’re valuable, part of a set, or meant to be an heirloom. I have a small collection of knives I don’t use. Some of them are the Great Eastern Cutlery Rendezvous Specials. These are knives made in small numbers for the gathering GEC holds in Titusville every year and only available at the gathering. They’re usually unique knives in some way. They’ve become the main part of my non user collection, as they’re easily the most coherent and rare set of knives I have owned. I actually did use the first couple of these initially, but later decided they were better kept in good condition to form a recognizable and consistent set. I also have a Queen Copperhead that is the best Queen made knife I’ve ever seen that I don’t use because Queen has unfortunately gone out of business. I plan to add some more Queen knives to my non user collection, as I want to have some examples from Queen as one of the most historic cutlery companies in the U.S. and they’ll only get scarcer the longer its doors have been closed. I also have some knives that have been given to me as gifts from friends, family, and loved ones. Despite it seeming silly to not use knives as tools like they’re inherently intended, some knives are worth maintaining in good condition for posterity.

Va2uIrzl.jpg

Thanks to my fiancee for the idea for this article and the inspiration for the title! In her words “Your heart wants to use all the knives but your head says you should keep some nice”. I can’t thank her enough.

Where do YOU fall on the spectrum? Do you use all your knives? Or keep some in pristine shape? Did you go through similar stages, or have a different progression?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive only been collecting for a few months but I’m trying to make up for lost time. The vast majority of my knives are in user rotation but I keep them nice. I only have 2 that I let patina because I think they look better that way. I have a few safe queens on display. An 85 tiger maple, and two 78’s, one in smooth white bone and one in blue camel bone. The only reason I don’t use the 78’s is that I’m hunting a red micarta to make a Merica! 78 trio.

Ive only been collecting for a few months but I’m trying to make up for lost time. The vast majority of my knives are in user rotation but I keep them nice. I only have 2 that I let patina because I think they look better that way. I have a few safe queens on display. An 85 tiger maple, and two 78’s, one in smooth white bone and one in blue camel bone. The only reason I don’t use the 78’s is that I’m hunting a red micarta to make a Merica! 78 trio.

I think making your own sets with shared meaning, like your trio of 78s, is a really fun way to collect also! I have a set that I'm going to do a separate article on.

I used to use or wanted the option to use all my knives. Eventually I realized how ridiculous it was to use all the knives I had, it couldn't be done. I like using knives as much as collecting but I'd rather have a small group of users that I really enjoy and the rest being collection knives. I have a number of knives that fill both roles, some are temporary and some because they are hard to find in better condition. I try to go for minty knives whenever possible and schrade is my game, especially cuts and early walden's. Eventually I want to display most of my collection knives. I know where I want to go and am moving in that direction.

Where do YOU fall on the spectrum? Do you use all your knives? Or keep some in pristine shape? Did you go through similar stages, or have a different progression?
First off I have to say I am jealous of your Whalers (?Elephant toes?). That is one collection I could start right there after seeing the glitzy blue one.
What is that called ? Is that mother of pearl ?

Except for a few knives I inherited from my Dad (heavily used) I don't actually collect and all my knives are users though obviously some are carried more than others.
. . . except just one and kind of by accident . . . I ordered a Para2 in black G10 and black DLC blade. Once in hand I found I couldn't bare to scratch it up and it became my first safe queen. I then bought a cammo G10 with DLC that I use the heck out of and don't mind scratching up. I won't attempt to explain the rational behind that; I fear there isn't any.

. . . annnnnnnd except for just the other day when I added my second knife to my "collection" safe queen line up.
You won't ever guess what it was, in a million years. Here's the back ground :
I saw a Kershaw Chill on my coworker, bought one for my self, decided on the spot to buy a second one so I could mod the first into a thinner blade. I can really apreciate the knife design and wanted one in stock condition to honor the designer and the etching on the blade is cool and wanted to be able enjoy that when I want to.

The other day the price dropped so much I had to pounce. I kept the second one pristine (I carried it one day to try 'er out) of course my second one (the safe queen right ) has the best action :(:confused:. I have to mod the first one with the poorer action because it is the one that is all marred up from use and resharpening. Yep . . . that's about right . . . that's the weird world I know and . . . well . . . am sort of used to.

I don't collect. I accumulate.

I've been into knives ever since I was a little kid. I don't know where I got it from, my father never bought me a single knife. Regardless, they've always exerted a pull on my imagination.

Over the years I've managed to put away a few. Not because I'm trying to collect them, but rather because it's entirely natural to acquire things you like. Without any thought or effort whatsoever, I've accumulated enough knives to last me several lifetimes. I'll pick up the odd knife or two that catches my eye. Do it long enough and you'll eventually find yourself with a good-sized pile of steel.

Wow Logan , you pretty well nailed down how it goes. After my discharge from the U.S. Army in 1961 , I bought an Ulster and used it for everything and carried it everyday until I retired in 2001 and about that time my kids did not know what to get me as a gift and one of my daughters decided that I might like knives . Most of them in this display case were gifts from her and my other kids.

I eventually obtained my Dad's very cheap Barlow so I thought that I would like to collect Barlows and I was able to get started with Taylor Eye Witness and GEC 77 Barlows .

And this lead me into the World of GEC .

During all this time of learning , I was participating on the BF and learning and appreciating other patterns too numerous to mention and Accumulating or Collecting as many different patterns and Old knives as possible which may outnumber the newer ones that I have shown . My meager Barlow Collection is around 50 and my meager GEC Collection is around 50 and my number of Stags is around 40 or so . I guess you could say that I have an Accumulation of Small Collections and still going for a while yet .

Harry

Thanks to all for the responses!

I used to use or wanted the option to use all my knives. Eventually I realized how ridiculous it was to use all the knives I had, it couldn't be done. I like using knives as much as collecting but I'd rather have a small group of users that I really enjoy and the rest being collection knives. I have a number of knives that fill both roles, some are temporary and some because they are hard to find in better condition. I try to go for minty knives whenever possible and schrade is my game, especially cuts and early walden's. Eventually I want to display most of my collection knives. I know where I want to go and am moving in that direction.

It's always good to have an aim! I'd also like to have a larger more comprehensive display, but that can wait until I have a more permanent home (rather than a tiny basement apartment).

First off I have to say I am jealous of your Whalers (?Elephant toes?). That is one collection I could start right there after seeing the glitzy blue one.
What is that called ? Is that mother of pearl ?

Except for a few knives I inherited from my Dad (heavily used) I don't actually collect and all my knives are users though obviously some are carried more than others.
. . . except just one and kind of by accident . . . I ordered a Para2 in black G10 and black DLC blade. Once in hand I found I couldn't bare to scratch it up and it became my first safe queen. I then bought a cammo G10 with DLC that I use the heck out of and don't mind scratching up. I won't attempt to explain the rational behind that; I fear there isn't any.

. . . annnnnnnd except for just the other day when I added my second knife to my "collection" safe queen line up.
You won't ever guess what it was, in a million years. Here's the back ground :
I saw a Kershaw Chill on my coworker, bought one for my self, decided on the spot to buy a second one so I could mod the first into a thinner blade. I can really apreciate the knife design and wanted one in stock condition to honor the designer and the etching on the blade is cool and wanted to be able enjoy that when I want to.

The other day the price dropped so much I had to pounce. I kept the second one pristine (I carried it one day to try 'er out) of course my second one (the safe queen right ) has the best action :(:confused:. I have to mod the first one with the poorer action because it is the one that is all marred up from use and resharpening. Yep . . . that's about right . . . that's the weird world I know and . . . well . . . am sort of used to.

That Whaler is abalone. It was last year's Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knife.

Very interesting! All of my modern knives are users to varying degrees, mostly based on how much I like them, even the ones that were gifts.

I don't collect. I accumulate.

I've been into knives ever since I was a little kid. I don't know where I got it from, my father never bought me a single knife. Regardless, they've always exerted a pull on my imagination.

Over the years I've managed to put away a few. Not because I'm trying to collect them, but rather because it's entirely natural to acquire things you like. Without any thought or effort whatsoever, I've accumulated enough knives to last me several lifetimes. I'll pick up the odd knife or two that catches my eye. Do it long enough and you'll eventually find yourself with a good-sized pile of steel.

Definitely! Accumulation is a big part of moving through those stages I mention. I think it's when you start purposefully directing your buying, whether for aesthetic / sentimental / financial reasons, it leads to "collecting" rather than accumulating.

It's definitely natural to acquire things you like!

B B.F.U Good post, Logan. It's well written and thought provoking. :thumbsup:

I am at the " I try as hard as I can to not buy knives but I fail more often than not" stage. :D

BTW, Is that fixed blade on the far left the one you made?

I appreciate that!

Yes it is! Thank you again for all your help with it. It's still going strong.

Wow Logan , you pretty well nailed down how it goes. After my discharge from the U.S. Army in 1961 , I bought an Ulster and used it for everything and carried it everyday until I retired in 2001 and about that time my kids did not know what to get me as a gift and one of my daughters decided that I might like knives . Most of them in this display case were gifts from her and my other kids.

I eventually obtained my Dad's very cheap Barlow so I thought that I would like to collect Barlows and I was able to get started with Taylor Eye Witness and GEC 77 Barlows .

And this lead me into the World of GEC .

During all this time of learning , I was participating on the BF and learning and appreciating other patterns too numerous to mention and Accumulating or Collecting as many different patterns and Old knives as possible which may outnumber the newer ones that I have shown . My meager Barlow Collection is around 50 and my meager GEC Collection is around 50 and my number of Stags is around 40 or so . I guess you could say that I have an Accumulation of Small Collections and still going for a while yet .

Harry

Those are great gifts you've gotten Harry! And I know you've got a treasure trove of stag. I'll have to show you my stag 82 at the Rendezvous this year.

I to have only really begun, but like TX Traditional TX Traditional I've been making up for lost time lol. Like others I have a few sentimental knives, some are gifts from fellow members here. Those I treasure greatly, they fall into the "never until I'm dead will they part" category. A big part of my collecting is finding them. You see most of mine I find in antique shops and pawn shops and ads on sites like Craigslist. I enjoy the hunt. And in doing so I've been blessed to find a few rare gems, often for "they don't know what they got" prices lol. I have one true non user right now, a mint Case 5592 5 blade stockman. Honestly it a bit of vanity that I don't carry it. Partly its a bit rare, but partly because I bought it for a little over 1/10th of the prices I've seen on examples for sale. I even occasionally carry my Robert Klaas love birds stamp congress. But usually on a Saturday, non working days lol. Like many I guess I could say "I just like them", I have Colonial's and Imperials I like to carry as much as my Case's. I have a nice '61-'71 Queen stockman I really enjoy carrying. I also have a plain Jane Queen electrician that I value much much more, because it was a gift from a fellow forum member. This hobby is still exciting and new to me, and a BIG part of that is sharing it with all of you. If you check out my posts in the newest addition thread, you'll see quite a few with the steering wheel of my truck as a back drop. That's because I can't wait to share my latest find with the porch, that I'll take and upload pics in the parking lot lol. I don't know where my knife collecting journey is going, but I'm enjoying the trip!

I largely stopped buying new knives several years ago. I have made a very few exceptions. Last year's Buck forum knife, for example. Only knife I bought last year. I think I also bought one each in 2016 and 2017, or maybe it was 2015 and 2016? Northfield 77 Barlow SFOs.

I accumulated way too many during my 2 year or so buying spree. I really only carry and use a dozen or so and could get by fine with half that. The remainder sit in their boxes or tubes, pending that day I finally get around to selling them and recouping some of the money tied up in them. Not sure what it was that triggered that period of needless over-consumption but it has cured me of ever doing it again.

I'm enjoying reading all your responses, good thread :)

I myself collect, and enjoy doing it.
I enjoy a diversity, new and old, that simply keep things interesting for me.
I enjoy using the items I acquire for my collection as home decor.
I enjoy the hunt for vintage additions that are in minty condition.
I enjoy the researching and history of the items that I acquire.
Well, all that, and much more.
Basically, it's a hobby I enjoy and that constantly brings a smile to my face :)

Last edited:
I think there are distinct differences between User and Collector. Not that the former is undiscriminating, far from it, they may look for users that satisfy their niche or meet their quality requirement and enjoy using them both as tool and artifact. I've never understood some people who dismiss all manner of blatant build faults or design inanities with "So what? It's a knife and I use it!" OK but why buy anything decent and why frequent a knife-forum?;) Or, some who allege that poor quality is some of the inherent mystique of Traditionals, it's hand made so suck it up. Will not:D

The Collector pursues an idea, often a chimera but they frequently underpin their pursuit with a considerable knowledge of the pattern or era. We can all benefit from that accumulated knowledge provided it's not excessively narrow or pedantic, then it becomes a tiresome burden- The paradox of the Collector remains essentially in their very actions: they seek to perfect something that's imperfect, to obtain an 'entire run or sequence and then what? Still further, they want to keep something frozen in amber as it were, a tool never to be used, sometimes to be hidden from very view, unchanged and possibly untouched. Much anxiety goes in connexion with such a strategy- theft, fire, degredation by the wrong storage of items, it's an immense worry by that stage.

The two approaches are not of course mutually exclusive, many Collectors have reserve models for use and enjoy having a pristine and user, just in case... Many users will find they have simply a mass of knives that can't be used simultaneously or are not to their taste for using. They may later on sell off unused knives to recoup cash and to actually feel more in harmony, keeping stuff is angst. I suspect we all have an over endowment of knives, otherwise why are we here??;)

Which brings me to my own definition, Enthusiast. The person who loves knives, has an unending interest and curiosity about them and their history, has perhaps a haphazard collection or hoard but has evolved distinct tastes and thus enjoys using their knives and enjoying them as an aesthetic object. A lot of my knives are scattered around my two homes, on tables on desks, many are used, many not as I simply enjoy looking at them and handling them too. A workman came into my place last week to fix something, he immediately noticed the dozens of knives and observed " They look very nice but why do you have so many?" Good point, I cryptically answered " A tree is nice but a mixed woodland better" Not sure he agreed and that's because to most 'other' people knives are all the same, how terrible to live in such poverty....;):D

Thanks, Will

For me, the mail comes. I open the box and admire my new knife. It gets tossed into a range bag and I move on to the next. People want me to display my knives, although, they are nothing special...except to me. Nope, been doing the bag thing for years and I'm not gonna stop now.

The people in my life think I'm stupid for "wasting" my money on knives. Fu...forget them! The bills get paid and I don't "do drugs". Knives make me happy and no one wants to see me in a depressed state, lol.

I'm an odd one...
When I first started accumulating knives, I made some parameters. I only keep between 20 and 30 knives at one time. When the number exceeds 30, I give away or sell off knives until I'm back down to 20 again. Back and forth I go, buying and selling. The nice part about this habit is that I end up with at least 20 knives that I really really like a LOT. The bad part is that my little collection gets full of the same patterns because I like them the most. I can see a day where my whole collection is Case Mini Trappers, GEC #15s, and Wright's Lambsfoot Knives. I also have three gift knives that I've received from two of the members here, but they don't count towards the total and will stay in my collection forever. I also have three modern folders left over from those days that seem to stick around.

Thanks for the continued posts! All very interesting, and some great pictures ("The Self Defender").

Apparently I can't post links to my site or articles because it's "minor spam" so sorry if my links offended or bothered anyone.

Edit: I didn't mean to flout the rules or cause more work for the mods, that's why I included the bot blurb about not trying to create a forum. Sorry if it came off that way.

Last edited:
I really like this thread.

I tried to compose a response a couple of times, but they quickly grew too long and convoluted. Let me try one more time.

I received my first knife (an Imperial pen with faux MoP scales) around 50 years ago at the age of five or six. During my childhood years I accumulated the odd inexpensive (and usually well-used) knife, but sadly these knives disappeared many years ago.

After joining the Army I had a brief dalliance with early Spydercos, but I became enamored with Victorinox SAKs. Over the next few decades I built several small sub-collections (Waiter/Compact variants, orange Alox, vintage Soldiers, VSAKCS annual knives, etc.).

C62D7F79-9720-47FA-BEA7-18CEE866276E.jpeg FBDEED22-AF71-445D-9DAA-DC22395D8860.jpeg FA50A381-C63F-427C-829A-8BF164949B4E.jpeg A9636BAF-64C7-4E4C-B9FD-817B61B78EBA.jpeg

While I’m still a huge Victorinox fan, during the last couple of years I’ve become increasingly interested in single-bade traditionals in general, and “Boy’s Knives” in particular—both vintage and modern.

In some ways I think I’ve come full circle.

28F2CB6A-ACDE-4CEC-9D20-9CD22AC1864C.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a great thread!

I can relate to most of you. My dad never really gave me any knives growing up but I was a cub/boy scout and despite growing up in the NYC area (NYC and NNJ), I always had 4-6 pocket knives. I never had a need for crazy tough knives so most of my knives were under $50 and most of my edc knives were under $30 so I wouldn't really care if I lost it. I also had a few fixed blades. I've lost lots of knives during moves but only a couple that I really miss and tried replacing but couldn't. Most of my knife purchases were because I needed them for camping, hiking, etc and rarely for collecting. I don't think I've ever spent over $100 for a blade, not because I'm cheap but I just never saw a need. Ok, maybe I'm cheap :p.

I finally broke down and ordered some fancy (to me) knives. BM Grip S30V and Mini Grip 154CM. I just got the Mini grip today and they sent a S30V. I contacted the seller to let them know but they said I could keep it or exchange it for a 154CM.

Rewind a few days... I always liked the Griptilian but couldn't justify the cost. I had it on my mind for years. For some reason, I was looking at pocket knives again last week and saw a Ganzo which is basically a knock-off Grip. It was under $20 and I thought it would be cheap enough to get one to see if I like the axis lock so I ordered one. Then I saw another in orange so I ordered that too. Then a smaller Firebird line so I ordered one of those as well. All 3 were less than $60 shipped so cheap enough to play with and abuse. They were 440c steel and I remember when I was younger that it was a decent steel and I had no issues with it. While I was waiting for them to ship, I was thinking really hard and wouldn't even know if the axis lock is even close to the BM so I ordered the Grip and mini. Just for fun, I also threw in a Spyderco Bug.

Everything but the Griptilian came in today and I was able to play with them. 2 of the 3 Ganzos works like I've seen in videos. The other is a bit tight even after loosening the pivot screw so it might just need to be broken in. The mini grip is nice but the Ganzos aren't too bad either and worth the $15-$18 ea. So far, I think the orange handled Ganzo is my favorite. The handle has a different profile and the action is really nice. I'm having a hard time flipping the mini grip open. I think it's partially due to its small size but I'm getting better at it. I might just need practice with the axis locks.

It was the search for a user that got me back into traditional knives. Specifically, I'd never owned a nice slip joint dressed in stag. Now, five years later, I've found the patterns that I like best for use (double end jack with bellied and straight edge blades, or single blade sheepsfoot or wharncliffe jack).

Along the way I also started collecting CSC's boys' knives just because I like them.

Back