1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Off Topic Hearing Protection <shooting>

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by PeteyTwoPointOne, Dec 29, 2018.

1. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I've got a set of plain Peltor's that I've used since the early 90's and I'm gonna retire them to lawn mow duty this spring.

I'm thinking I'll upgrade to some fan-dangled eletronic bang cancelling muffs...

I know Peltor makes those kind too. I'm leaning that way since I'm a brand loyal guy ;) when the brand has performed excellent for me in the past, know whut I mean Vern? :p

But these fancy battery operated ears are uncharted territory for me....

What do you guys wear?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    What?

3. Baron83

Baron83 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I like my Howard Leight Impact Sports. Considering a switch to the newer Walker Bluetooth models but will probable save the dough. I shoot more and more with my cheap custom molded Decibullz ear plugs and I’m usually suppressed on my rifles. Not a lot of need for fancy muffs anymore.

The electronics are really nice for shooting with other people (training others or being trained). I used to do a fair amount of instructing and attended courses to do so, and they were quite handy to have.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  4. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Peltor sport tactical 300, or 500 if you want blue tooth for phone and music.

5. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Usually just scrunch up a bit of tissue and stuff it in there

6. PeteyTwoPointOne

Jun 10, 2014
    So, are you trying to say you're deaf from blast or blind from muzzle flash? o_O

I'm confused...:confused:

Cro and BlackKnight86 like this.
  7. TheGrownUpKid

TheGrownUpKid Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 2, 2013
    LOL! I love you guys. I refer to Vern all the damn time, and nobody ever knows what Im talking about. I dunno what I would do without this place.

Ive been using the basic green Howard Leights forEVER with great results. I own 6 or 8 pairs, so if I take people shooting, I can instruct without losing my voice, screaming above the range noise. Theyre on Amazon for 49 bucks...

PeteyTwoPointOne and tuica like this.
  8. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    +1 on the Howard Leight Impact Sports and an extra hygiene kit (ear pads & foam inserts). You'll be glad you bought the extra ear pads when the originals finally harden and take a set. Fortunately, they're a snap to replace.:thumbsup:

PeteyTwoPointOne and tokerblue like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I use MSA Sordin and I know they are far more expensive than say Howard Leight or Walkers and others ...

but after using others and switching to the MSA Sordins ... to me they were worth it ... alot of the others especially if you shoot at an indoor range you need foam plugs inside anyway ...

will depend if you shoot indoors or outdoors and if you shoot handgun or long gun ... I have two models one is great for indoors and handguns ... but too bulky for long guns so I switch but I never shoot long guns inside ... and rarely do I shoot handguns indoors anymore.

10. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    Another vote for the Howard Leight Impact Sports. I wear them over standard foam ear plugs since I like to double up when it comes to hearing protection. The big benefit is that if you wear the electronic ear protection, you can still hear normal conversation at the range.

11. Adian

Adian Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Sordins are awesome but very expensive. I’ve used the Tactical linekf Peltors and they work well and are pretty comfy.

The best solution...get a couple suppressors so you do t have to wear them at all!! My 300bo and can is a dream to shoot. But granted my hearing isn’t great after being a Marine Corps Infantryman and not wearing hearing pro

12. uGAshooter

uGAshooter Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Howard Leight Impact Sports for me as well. Can’t beat em for the price/performance.

13. TENTEX

TENTEX Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2017
    I also use MSA Sordins. It really depends if you are shooting outdoors or indoors. Even after a few hours in an indoor range the sound is a beating no matter what you spend. If it is hot outside I like to run the Surefire EP3’s or 4’s. The are comfortable and have a noise flap to reduce further. Electronic muffs really is geared to training and conversations on the range but I don’t mind monitoring the other idiots around me.

14. PeteyTwoPointOne

Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks for all the info and background! :thumbsup:

You hogs never fail to come thru with the goods! :)

Yup, one of my few regrets in life was taking a .38 out for an afternoon of shooting without muffs or plugs.

It was the 80's and I was 19 and thought ear protection was seriously uncool. :thumbsdown:

Heck these guys were in shootouts every Friday nite and never wore muffs and they're touching off sawed off scatterguns and 1911's like it's the 4th of July and they never complained of no stinkin hearing loss :cool: :rolleyes:...
    [​IMG]

A month later when my left ear was still ringing I knew I'd screwed up big time, but it was too late then, of course. :(

If it's super quiet around the house, even to this day, my ear still has a ringing in it. And if someone whispers in my left ear I can't hear them at all. I'm lucky I still can hear anything at all in it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I went through this in the 90s when I was shooting a lot. I bought a couple brands of electronic sets including Peltor. Yet since they weren't as good as CVS foam plugs I'd use them both. Then I got fitted for a pair of custom molded ear plugs. You'll find them at gun shows. No electronics. Best results yet. Never looked back.

16. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Surefire Earpro ....in the ears and on the firearm.

17. Adian

Adian Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Yea the VA guy asked “Well why didn’t you wear hearing pro?”

To which I responded:”Let me layout a scenario. I’m dug into a fighting hole, to one side I have an M1 Abram that shoots a round so big that it MOVES a 20+ ton machine. To the other side there is an AMTRAC firing off full auto MK19s, there are jets flying over and dropping ordinance, helos and then us. Needless to say, there isn’t a hearing protection that would help, much less the little foam roll up ones they gave us!”

Crickets

Currawong and PeteyTwoPointOne like this.
  18. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    I have both the MSA Sordin and the Howard Leight. The MSA Sordin are certainly better but you can buy about 6 pairs to one... I paid $240 and $34 respectively. My dad has the Peltor Tactical's and they work good too and have held up well but they're larger and much thicker. All of ours are several years old so new Peltors may be lower profile now. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Caldwells that we owned on the other hand are complete pieces of junk--they do not last and one pair didn't even work brand new right out of the box. YMMV

19. echaraska

echaraska Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2006
    MSA Sordins with the gel cups and behind the head band, you can wear a hat or helmet with them and the ear pieces for shorting glasses don’t dig into your temples.

20. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    For years I owned/wore Peltors. Next I moved up to Sordin, but bought my brother-in-law Howard Light just to be able to compare the three. Fit and comfort along with sound reproduction and sound cut off were progressively better with Sordin being my favorite. Bottom line, just use something to protect your valuable hearing...