heat treat for 1095

OK so I have loved 1095 steel as a knife user so I decided to make my first knife in 1095. I love how it has turned out, but, all my standard options for ht have proven beyond my means. I can't even really justify paying someone to do it because all the priceing I've encountered have been prohibitive unless you have a big batch. I guess I'm just curious if there is anyone willing and or able to ht single 1095 blades for reasonable prices. In the future I will probably choose an air hardening steel which I can more readily have heat treated but I would like to see my first one finished

Thanks
Robby

IMG_20130606_140100_175_zps7cc3d1e1.jpg

I am working on my first knife and am using 1095 also. I would like to know what you used to make your grind and bevel. How did you mill out the tang of the knife?

How did you mill out the tang of the knife?
has anyone used a carbide bur and a die grinder for this process? i was thinking that might be a cheaper way than milling but i haven't tried it so im not sure what it will end up looking like.

Trugrit still does it for 10 bucks a blade + shipping. That's not too shabby. Shame Darrin's not doing it any more. He did a great job.

has anyone used a carbide bur and a die grinder for this process? i was thinking that might be a cheaper way than milling but i haven't tried it so im not sure what it will end up looking like.
That is basically what I did I drilled some holes cut between them with a sabre saw then shaped the hole with carbide cylinder shaped bit then smoothed it with a dremel sanding drum.

And thanks crimsonfalcon trugrit looks like it will fit the bill

Back