Heat Treat Oven Questions

So I'm looking at an Evenheat KH414. There is available options for solid state relays. Are these worth the extra money? Also, are you guys happy with the basic STP 3 key controller?
Should I consider the 18 inch oven instead, even though I dont ever see myself making a knife that long? Am I missing any thing? Im just a guy with a cool hobby at this point.
Thanks

I can't speak to the solid state relays, I didn't get them. We'll see If I regret it. I would at the very minimum get the 18 inch oven. You don't want any part of the blade too close to the front or back, and why limit yourself? I also went with the TAP controller. I think the size of the oven and the best controller are key and worth the additional cost.

Last edited:
Last year I bought the LB 22.5. It is longer than I really need, but better too long than not long enough and the additional cost is not that high overall.
The LB series comes standard with the solid state relays, and the temperature control is very tight.
I also got the TAP controller. I have used other ovens with the 3 key controller, but I find the TAP to be much easier and more intuitive.
I ordered mine with the Burke modification, which is just more outside insulation.
After using the oven for a few months I also ordered the loud alarm since I found out my hearing isn't as good as I had thought.
Overall I'm really pleased with the oven and it gets a lot of use.
I figured buy once, cry once.

Better idea to get the 18 inch, in case you ever do decide to make a longer knife, and so that the "uniform zone" is longer for shorter knives. Also the cost difference is not that much.

I have the rampmaster controller and I like it. It's nice to not have extra buttons for a little more control. The TAP is even better of course.

Since you are buying an Evenheat instead of a Paragon, there is probably no need to tell you to buy the one with the wider chamber. That is the one thing that I regret about my 24 inch Paragon. Chamber is only 5 inches wide.

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a jen ken airbath 30 with tap controller and solid state relay

Its going to hurt price wise but im going all in!

I just finished my 18"er and a smaller blade down at the end of it completely surrounded by elements and away from the door just looks right
Not sure about my specifics but I got a SSR and simple 3 button controller and it works like a dream,quick ramp up near temp then gentle ease on the last few degrees
I'm as happy as a dog with 2 mickeys

Thanks! I appreciate all the info. I guess it will be an 18 inch oven for sure. Im thinking the 3 button controller will work for me too. Now I just need to decide if the solid state relays are that much of an advantage.

I know little about electrical stuff but the ssr is almost essential
It smoothly gets you up to temp with no overshooting

USA Knifemaker and Kiln Frog have the best prices I have seen.

Since you are buying an Evenheat instead of a Paragon, there is probably no need to tell you to buy the one with the wider chamber. That is the one thing that I regret about my 24 inch Paragon. Chamber is only 5 inches wide.
I agree. I really like my Paragon 24 inches, it's built like a tank and keeps most of the heat on the inside, which is nice. Unfortunately when I bought my oven they didn't have a wider version available. But nowadays they also have a double barrel version which is 11 inches wide.

https://www.paragonweb.com/Double_Barrel_24T_-KM24_Series-.cfm

Same thing when I bought mine. I got it in like late 2007, so the 24 might have been fairly new then. i didn't really think about the width until later.
I agree. I really like my Paragon 24 inches, it's built like a tank and keeps most of the heat on the inside, which is nice. Unfortunately when I bought my oven they didn't have a wider version available. But nowadays they also have a double barrel version which is 11 inches wide.

https://www.paragonweb.com/Double_Barrel_24T_-KM24_Series-.cfm

The one thing I like about the Paragon is you can touch it without being burned at any temp. It is just warm to the touch and very comfortable to work around in the warmer weather. It uses the exact same upgrade controller as Evenheat, same company, and the double barrel 24 is a great combo to work with. The door on the Paragon is also hardier, so glad I got it instead of evenheat.

Back