Heat treat oven warm up time

how long does your 220v oven take to reach 1500F?

Mine is a larger muffle furnace and it takes about 90 mins

actually mine is 208V
I guess I'm not terribly troubled by the time, and my power is essentially "free"
I was just curious how long knife making HT ovens take to get reach a high temp.

Last edited:
I have an Evenheat w/220, and about 30 minutes is my best guess. It seems to heat up more quickly in the early stages, and slows down as it creeps toward 2000 degrees.

With the temperature set to maximum (1300 degC, 2372 degF), my last 27" homebuilt HT oven with 3 kW of elements took 22 1/2 minutes to 800 degC (1472 degF), 54 1/2 minutes to 1100 degC (2012 degF). The temperature at an hour was 1125 degC (2057 degF), and 1177 degC, (2150 degF) took 71 minutes. Then I went to eat and came back at a little over 2 hours to find it at 1300 degC, 2372 degF.

I have a 24 inch 220/20 Paragon, and I would say that it take up to 30 minutes to get to 1500F.

ok I guess I'm seeing a trend here :)
thanks for the comparison.
my oven is 14 x 14 x 14 in
and since mine is essentially a laboratory furnace, the elements are behind the walls - muffle furnace

anmfkVP.jpg

I have an older paragon 36" by 6" by 4" and its a 220. Takes about 35 minutes to get to 1500

I have two ovens: an oven for scientific applications that reaches 1500 ° F in about 45 minutes (deep chamber 10 "), and one designed for the hardening of knives and which takes 25 minutes for 1500 ° F (deep chamber 14 ").

HSC, you make slipjoints, right? I built this 4.5 x 4 x 6.5 oven running off 120v at 1300 watts and it hits 1500 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

XXxAfUI.jpg

I cover the top with bricks and have a small hole. I lower the parts in on a wire and close the top bricks around the wires.
3Q3QNyF.jpg

I can quench 6 parts at the same time, since i can grab all 6 wires at once easily, much easier than using tongs and a more traditional oven with a door on the side. It also eliminated warping issues i had with 1/16" blades and springs, since the parts heat evenly compare to traditional oven with door on side and parts laying on floor.

Last edited:
Totally depends Harbeer. My little sugar creek 220V 24" long crap-bucket heats up faster than my big industrial Blue-M model, (6x6x20" chamber though) but the industrial one has a LOT more thermal mass. I've been running it around 2000 deg for stainless the last few days, and it always seem to be going really slow until about 1500 once the thermal mass gets more fully heat saturated, then it's really quick. Although, I think the PID I'm running it with isn't configured to run the elements full bore. It's got 4 full sets of independent coils, both sides, the ceiling, and even under the floor. However, last night, HT'ing S-110V at 2150 degrees, it only dropped 30 degrees when I put the packets in, and rebounded in 30 seconds with no over-shoot. Try that in any knifemaker furnace. The sugarcreek would lose a couple hundred degrees and take 5-10 mins to recover and equalize.

Totally depends Harbeer. My little sugar creek 220V 24" long crap-bucket heats up faster than my big industrial Blue-M model, (6x6x20" chamber though) but the industrial one has a LOT more thermal mass. I've been running it around 2000 deg for stainless the last few days, and it always seem to be going really slow until about 1500 once the thermal mass gets more fully heat saturated, then it's really quick. Although, I think the PID I'm running it with isn't configured to run the elements full bore. It's got 4 full sets of independent coils, both sides, the ceiling, and even under the floor. However, last night, HT'ing S-110V at 2150 degrees, it only dropped 30 degrees when I put the packets in, and rebounded in 30 seconds with no over-shoot. Try that in any knifemaker furnace. The sugarcreek would lose a couple hundred degrees and take 5-10 mins to recover and equalize.
Very nice! My old paragon 36d has about a +\- 3 degree run with door closed. Takes a while to get to 2k from 1700ish. When I put a blade in at 1975 I may lose about 40 degrees and takes about 5 minutes or less to recover.

HSC, you make slipjoints, right? I built this 4.5 x 4 x 6.5 oven running off 120v at 1300 watts and it hits 1500 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

XXxAfUI.jpg

I cover the top with bricks and have a small hole. I lower the parts in on a wire and close the top bricks around the wires.
3Q3QNyF.jpg

I can quench 6 parts at the same time, since i can grab all 6 wires at once easily, much easier than using tongs and a more traditional oven with a door on the side. It also eliminated warping issues i had with 1/16" blades and springs, since the parts heat evenly compare to traditional oven with door on side and parts laying on floor.

a small furnace for folders blades is a great idea, I have a smaller propane forge I use along the same line.
But I'm doing mostly laminated steels so I use the propane forge for HT of those.

0pnPxN9.jpg

Back