Heat treat oven ?

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
So I’m looking into ordering one of these this week. What’s your opinion? Which would I be better off getting? http://usaknifemaker.com/evenheat-kf-22-5.html http://usaknifemaker.com/evenheat-ko-22-5.html. They’re basically the same, the only difference I can see is one is capable of 2400 degrees, the other 2200. Is there anything I would need the higher temp for? Can I pretty much heat treat any commercially available steel with 2200 max? If I could save a little by going to the cheaper oven, that would be good for me! Thanks

That’s the thing. I’m wanting something versatile, that I can heat treat whatever I want. I think I have it figured out. I’m wanting to be able to heat treat stainless, 3v, or any of the other popular steel.

I guess I'm not sure what more you wanted as far as feedback. The will both work, like I pointed out, it was just a matter of size and if you wanted to pay for that bigger interior size with cash And time.

I guess I'm not sure what more you wanted as far as feedback. The will both work, like I pointed out, it was just a matter of size and if you wanted to pay for that bigger interior size with cash And time.
I appreciate the reply. I was just wondering if I really needed the extra 200 degrees. I sometimes get ahead of myself, and am not to thorough with my questions.

Get the higher temp oven if you're mainly interested in exotic stainless super steels, etc. If you're more interested in making swords and use carbon steels primarily, you'd be better off ordering a longer one, with the standard temp option.

I highly recommend the TAP controller personally, but if you can't figure out modern interfaces as easily (like phone touch screen) stick with the older button style controllers, but honestly, having to press buttons repeatedly makes me more confused.

Also, I'm pretty certain if you ask, evenheat (or your supplier can ask) will make you whatever size kiln you want in a higher temp model, they're just not standard.

It was more than a 50 dollar upgrade. I just wasn’t sure if I needed it. But I found a place with free shipping, so I got the higher temp model. I would have liked something bigger than 22.5. But I think I can do most anything I need with this. I’m building a bigger forge, if I ever get into swords! Hopefully!!

I went with the rampmaster, should I have gone with something else?

I went with the rampmaster, should I have gone with something else?

Nothing wrong with it, but the new TAP touch controller is a very nice upgrade in my opinion, unless you're the type that doesn't like a more "computerized" interface. Some guys prefer to keep it simple, but I'm a big fan of the added versatility of the TAP controller. Being able to have easily discernible, and more complex recipes, with wifi connection and more verbose alarms.

Certainly not necessary.

The one thing I do wish i had on my controller is the bluetooth option. I don't really program currently, I just use my Ramp/ soak controller in the "HOLD" mode and keep an eye on it. This is mostly due to the fact that my oven is in my 4 car garage and not my shop. The garage also is my kids play area/ video game hang out. They are old enough to not touch it, but I'm anal regardless. It would be nice however, when I'm alone to be able to monitor my PID from my shop or house.

After talking to someone way more experienced than me, he sold me on the set pro and I have to say it’s very simple and easy to operate.

After talking to someone way more experienced than me, he sold me on the set pro and I have to say it’s very simple and easy to operate.
The Auberins SYL-2352P on my oven build is NOT very user friendly. It has a lot of parameter settings that I just never will use.

The Auberins SYL-2352P on my oven build is NOT very user friendly. It has a lot of parameter settings that I just never will use.

They aren't, the interface is cumbersome.

The SetPro is not hard to use, I simply get tired of hitting beeping button a million times, and remembering the program numbers (same with the Auberins PID).

With the TAP controller you have a list of recipes with line items like: "Thermal Cycle Regime for HC Steels" or "Javan's Dumbshit Recipe for X-Steel" etc, or whatever makes the most sense to you, and menus which you can program all the variables for. As a child of the computer age, I find this much more intuitive (but mostly, just less annoying) than any of the old-school controllers or PID interfaces. Plus Wi-fi connectivity is a great boon if you want to monitor or keep data on the process.

Lol I'm telling you all this, not having a TAP controller for my HT ovens and wishing I did. I'm currently in the process of retrofitting one to my old industrial kiln that I have been running with an Auberins ramp/soak controller for a couple years. However, a close friend has one and I've used it a bunch, and just love it. The company that makes the controller, on the other hand, is wholly un-communicative, but Evenheat offers good support for them.

There were some issues with the first iteration of the controller, but they've been sorted out, and evenheat sent my buddy multiple new ones until the issues got resolved, and supported him replacing them (which was simple), very well.

Back