heat treating book

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
"HeatTreaters Guide - Practices and procedures for Irons and Steels", by the ASM
Stacy

"HeatTreaters Guide - Practices and procedures for Irons and Steels", by the ASM
Stacy
I was just over at a guys house who had this book and it is a great book. It went into depth on every steel. I am going to get one asap.

Dr. Verhoeven's book on heat treating is available from Amazon and such, or you can still download the older free .pdf copy here.

Also, "Tool Steel Simplified" which Kevin has recommended before. This doesn't contain sets of times and temperatures but it does go into detail on all the different methods of heat treating and the whys and why nots of them.

My favorites (classics in the field):

"Principles of Heat Treatment" - M. A. Grossman

"Alloying Elements in Steel" - Edgar C. Bain

Wow, there is a ton of info in those books. I like the Verhoeven book best. 201 pages of info that will take me a few weeks to digest. :p

Wow, there is a ton of info in those books. I like the Verhoeven book best. 201 pages of info that will take me a few weeks to digest. :p

If you can read a 200 page book on heat treating and digest it in a couple of weeks, I bow to your intellect. It would probably take me two weeks just to read through it the first time.

Jim Arbuckle
ABS JS

PS just yanking your chain!:D