heat treating

I'm making a knife from 0-1. It is 1/4 in stock. I'm doing it by stock removal. It is a big knife. My question is how close to finished do I need to get the knife before I send it to a heat treater? How far from the edge being sharpened and how close to a mirror finish do I need? Also, can I have the knife selectively hardened and who are some people I can send it to? Thank you for all and any help.

I grind to about 80/ 100 grit. Alot depends on what end you want to do more of the work, I prefer to do it after HT.

Like Frank, I rough it out to 80x then HT it. I do my finish grinds after HT.

It depends on weather you are finishing bt hand or machine. Alot of new makers do not have a grinder to finish. If you are doing it by hand you will have a shit load of hard to sand steel, so bring it to near finished before you have it heat treated if doing it by hand. If you have a grinder or sander to finish this is not a problem, just make sure you leave enough on the blade to take it to whatever grit you are going to finish it too.

Bob

Are you at Fort Drum? I never could find another knifemaker in the area while I was up there.

While I'm here, I tend to finish mine a little more, 220 grit before heat treat.

I usually finish with a 180-240 grit before HT. Then I do my clay coating. You'd better leave about 1-2mm on the edge because carbon may burn during HT and then you'll lose some, and therefore get a cutting edge that is less hard than you'd want. Then I complete the HT, grind, etch, polish, and have a beer when my new blade is finished Hmmm... :)

Whit, yes I am at FT Drum but I wouldn't call myself a knife maker. Just somebody that would like to be someday. Thanks everyone, I think I've got what I need. I think I'm going to go with a rougher finish when I get it treated and then hand finish. I'll be in Afghanastan in a little while so I'll have my wife send it to me and work on it while I have free time. I suppose I'll need something to do on my free time. Thanks everyone.