Heavy Duty Chopper

Not to be a smartass, but why not a good medium sized (4-6 inch) knife and an axe?

Got an axe. In all honesty, I really just want a Big F'n knife. For a smaller knife, I am probably going to pick up a Fallkniven TK1 with the ivory micarta handle. ~4" blade. Up till now, I have been using a SOG Trident 2.0 for my main camp knife.

Ive got an Iltis Oxhead double bit axe that I carry on the longer treks (all horse packed, so weight is not a huge concern).

The_Guide :)

Last edited:
someone is selling a Ranger RD-9 cheap on the exchange. Another knife that gives great bang for the buck is the Browning Crowell/Barker competition cutter. Around $150 or less for an excellent chopping/camp knife, 1075 steel and designed by two guys who REALLY know how to chop!

I also have a United Cutlery/Lainhart Special Forces machete, 9.5" blade of 3/16: ATS-34, rubber bird's-beak handle feels really great in the hand. Long-discontinued but I might part with that if your research suggests you are interested.

Well, I havent heard anything back regarding the Busse, but I have a Fehrman Final Judgement that looks promising.

We shall see

A Khukuri from HI in the 18"-20" range or the curved tip bolo from Reflections of Asia ($30). Both are monster choppers.

Frank

See if you can make it to a regional show or go to a collector's house and see what it feels like before you buy.

I've got two from RoA. A pointy one from Batangas with a 15" blade, wood handle, engraved wooden scabbard and pretty good finish but it didn't come with a very sharp edge.

The 12" blade curved tip from Ilocos is thicker & wider in the blade, has a horn handle and a tooled leather sheath. It's final finish is pretty rough, you won't hang it on the wall and have your friends say "Wow, that's beautiful". But it came out of the box with a keen edge ready for work. It can chop toe to toe with my 18" WWII where the Batangas is more in line for machete work.

I think beauty is as beauty does.

Frank

I will say that I have many many choppers and to me alot has to do with the handle. The better in your hand it feels and less hotspots the better. Of course steel is important but if you are chopping for a really long time or doing alot of hard woods chopping a comfortable handle (and I would wear gloves is a must.

I will start with the CGFBM. I really like this knife, it feels good. Not too heavy to carry (for me I am 6'4 around 200lbs) and feels good in my hands. I modified the mag handles slightly and convexed the edge. It chops well and holds an well (its INFI)

101_1658.jpg

Next is the FFBM it lacks the Corregated Bevels the CGFBM has and instead has a sabre grind and also has a convex edge. Its thicker as well (dont have my measurements on me but someone knows). Its a heavier beefier knife for sure also INFI. I have done lots of chopping with this one too and your arm gets tired after a while due to the weight, not as nice to carry.

101_1813.jpg

The NMFBM is a bit longer than the FFBM but is a similar package. Longer but feels similar in the weight, I really like the knife and its also a beast. I have used this one alot to split wood, it rides kind of heavy and I would recommend a leg strap just as I would the FFBM. It chops really well but like all heavy knives you do get tired quicker.....but then you may have to make less cuts. Not an use pic but one to give you size.

IMG_0106.jpg

The HI AK 16" is a nice knife with a good convex edge and throws chips diffently then the two mentioned. For me its not as comfortable to chop with w/o gloves as the wood is a bit slippery and I have since roughed it up. It chopps diffently being a Khukri but is lighter and in a more compact package still chops well. Not shown is a bonecutter by HI at 18" overall its a substantial knife and though thick, doesnt have as great a recurve as the AK and a bit more heft at the tip. Very good chopper and has done well by me.

101_1816.jpg

Possibly my favorite is the Scrapyard Dogather in LE or CG (I have both). They are SR-77 steel which doesnt hold an edge as well as say INFI or W2 but its a tough steel. Its much ligher than the first two and the Respirine C handles are VERY comfortable in my hands. It chops great for its weight and is not hard to carry at all. I really recommend this one.

101_1815.jpg

I will also mention if you want an easily affordable knife thats good steel but not as Hefty a chopper to go with an RD9, handles are a little smaller to me but its a light enough knife but still carrys a good punch for chopping. 5160 I believe and holds an edge well like Justins Knives do. A big advantage with this one is that its more affordable, easier to get and comes with a sheath. The coating on mine doesnt hold up well but it may just be mine. Been a nice knife to use so far.

IMG_0026.jpg

The one on the Top of this pic is a Dui Churra by HI, its a BEAST and I consider it a bit big to carry on the person. Its a mean chopper but a bit unweildy and hard to stop once it gets going. Probably not what you want in this instance. It cleaves limbs easily but I carry it on a pack as its just that darn big.

I will also recommend the Becker 9. Also a good knife that I have had convexed. Its not overly heavy and the steel holds up well. The handles are not as comfortable to me as the Scrapyard and the Busse, I dont think it chops as well either. But you can get the Kabar version readily right now.

I dont have any chop #'s IE: this many chops per knife but they all have done well by me and have all seen ALOT of use around the farm and just for fun. I have custom choppers but since it sounds like your looking for production or semi-production I listed these. I had a Ferhman extreme Judgement but gave it to my brother as I just couldnt get into the handle, so I dont think I could give a proper review for it. I really like INFI for choppers, its a tough steel that strops well and holds and edge nicely. You can do really well though with a simple too steel like A2, D2, W2, 1095, 5160. All those have done well for me. HI's are great choppers as well it just depends on whether your into the Khukri style or not. Not mentioned where the RTAK and RTAKII I just couldnt get into the handles for those either but they have been good knives, just not ones I grab much.

The one I grab the most is the Dogfather, I am partial to it and its just been a fantastic knife. I commented on a few but I have just too many to go on. I hope this write up is found useful, I could have commented more on all the knives just hard to do a proper write up on each one.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that man. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten here.

Right now, I am just waiting to hear back regarding a Fehrman Final Judgment, and if my offer is accepted, that is my new chopper.

But by all means, keep the responses coming. Buying knives is just as much fun as usin'em

The_Guide :cool:

+1 for res c, much more comfortable for me...Battle Rat-Dog Father

I will also mention the old RTAK and the new RTAK II(dont have a side by side pick but have one of the old RTAK). I didnt like the old RTAK's handle much at all, far too wide (not thick like hand filling) for me I ended up doing alot of sanding after trying to use it with that handle. Its thinner stock 3/16 for both I believe than many of the ones I mentioned above. It somewhat doubles as a hefty machete and a lighter chopper (again light compared to the above mentioned except for the DFLE). The RTAK II's handle fits much better in my hand but I just havent used it that much over many of the other knives. I would recommend getting it as so far I havent had problems with it, just doesnt suite my tastes as much though I have read many people do like theres. The edge retention in the 1095 has been whats to be expected out of that steel and its not overly hard to sharpen once made dull. I havent had any chipping problems but I have done mostly brush clearing and log chopping/splitting with them.

IMG_0027.jpg

One knife thats a rather large knife that I have, many people like but I have had issues with is the Trailmaster in Carbon V. Not that its a bad knife but I just dont like the handle on it, it wears on the hand after a while and its just not as comfortable (to me remember) as many of my other ones. The steel has performed fine and held up well, takes a really good edge for those of you who have Carbon V knives you know that it takes a good edge and holds it for a while. I also dislike double gaurds now on large choppers, used to be a big fan of them especially on bowie style blades. The problem for me came when you were gripping up on the blade to do finer work for say shelter building and you needed to choke up. The guard gets in the way and makes it less comfortable to use. I say the same for the handle material(same as trailmaster) on the LTC and Ghurka Khukri in CV. I really like the blades themselves and I think overall they are nice knives but just dont go to them much especially bare handed due to the handle material. Its abrasive to my hand and causes hotspots, many people like these knives and use them...if I could get different handles I think I would like them more.

I have posted alot here and many people have differing views. These are just mine, take them with a grain of salt and find what you like.

Last edited:
A 10" blade to baton with?

For a large chopper, I agree with Gravelface and recommend David Wesner at Kelsey Creek Kelsey Knives. He made me a custom 10" blade and priced far better than Busse.

A 10" blade to baton with?

For a large chopper, I agree with Gravelface and recommend David Wesner at Kelsey Creek Kelsey Knives. He made me a custom 10" blade and priced far better than Busse.

I just saw his knives...They look great! I sent him an email, are his prices reasonable? May I ask what steel/blade/handle materials you had your's made in and have you had a chance to use it much.

I've been very pleased for a lot of years with my RTAK. The handle seems to be a concern for some, and I can understand why, but it fits my hand very well (and I'm not big).

IMG_0922.jpg

It's seen a lot of use out in the woods for hiking and camping and hasn't let me down yet. 1095 holds its edge pretty well and is easy to sharpen in the field if you need to. I keep a little diamond three sided sharpener in the pouch on the sheath.

My only complaint is with the sheath. It's not a bad sheath, but could have had a much larger gear pouch on the front and maybe MOLLE or ALICE attachment points somewhere. And maybe a nylon loop on the backside of the sheath to attach webbing to make a leg strap or some other way ot holding it in place.

I've never handled the RTAKII, so I can't comment there. For those of you who have, what's the sheath like?

BUSSE!i!i! you will NOT break it no matter how hard you try, knifetests.com has a vid of a destruction test that will make you think differently about knives

1+ for David Wesner at Kelsey Creek Knives .His prices are reasonable ,hi is a very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.He made me a knife that I love ,and used extensively and held up fine.He can make you any knife just send him your design and he'll make it for you.His kydex and leather work is excellent as well .ALL THE BEST.

Back