Heavy Philippine Bolo

This is a heavy Bolo that I found on EBay. Another forumite had already bid, but he graciously stepped aside and let me go for it. (Thank you sir!) It has a thin piece of wood that is shaped like the scabbard that has an inscription on it that reads:

Bolo. Presented to J Sharp McDonald
By Luit Clyde B Crusan
Aug 1901. 27th US Volunteers
Captured Isle Luzon
Manila P.I.

Specs are:
Weight 1 lb. 12 oz.
Overall length 20 ½ “
Blade length 14 ¼”
Blade thickness max: .401” (just over 3/8”)
Blade width max: 1 ¾ “
Sharpening is Flat/Convex, Right handed
Hilt is horn with minor insect damage

It has been sharpened correctly on the convex side and shows signs of use. The hilt is 7 sided with the bottom 2 panels being rough carved on purpose to give a better grip I suppose.

Comments and observations appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

BoloinScabbard.jpg

ConvexSide.jpg

Flatside.jpg

Presentationplaque.jpg

BoloHilt.jpg

I like it Steve. I've been looking around on e-bay, but I'm afraid of bidding on the ethnic knives over there. I don't have your eye for authenticity. I'd get screwed. Khuks too. Unless they're HI i'm not bidding.

Andy

Hey Steve,

Just curious..do you plan on cutting anything with it? Or is it a collector only?

Rob

Edited to add: Very cool knife Btw!!

Rob,
I wouldn't hesitate to use this one.....once or twice. :) It's really stout, but I'd hate to hurt a blade more than 100 years old. Well, not the blade itself, but I could see some issues developing with the hilt, even though it feels solid.

Steve

The 27th Infantry shipped out in November, 1901, and arrived in Manila in December, 1901. In February, 1902, they moved to Mindanao and saw heavy fighting there against Muslim tribesmen. A Capt. Pershing was attached to their command from 5th Cav. Several of its members won the Medal of Honor as result of actions during that fighting.

A J. Sharp McDonald was a businessman and a resident of Sewickly, PA. at the turn of the century. He was active in politics and good works.

Thomas Linton said:
The 27th Infantry shipped out in November, 1901, and arrived in Manila in December, 1901. In February, 1902, they moved to Mindanao and saw heavy fighting there against Muslim tribesmen. A Capt. Pershing was attached to their command from 5th Cav. Several of its members won the Medal of Honor as result of actions during that fighting.

A J. Sharp McDonald was a leading attorney and a resident of Sewickly, PA. at the turn of the century. He was active in politics and good works.

Thanks Thomas,

I've been searching all day and don't know much more than I did before. There seems to have been a 27th Infantry, US Volunteers that was fighting as early as 1900. They seem to have been a different force than the 27th Infantry (regular Army?) that you speak of. Back to Google for me.
Edit: Just found this:
Volunteer units raised for the Philippine Insurrection bore "U.S. Volunteer" designations and not state designations used in previous American conflicts. This is an important distinction. If you are researching someone who served in the Philippines in a regiment bearing a state designation, you need to consult the Spanish-American War compiled military service records.5 Fifteen Spanish-American War volunteer infantry regiments bearing state designations served during the first year of the Philippine Insurrection.6 U.S. Volunteer units raised specifically for the Philippine Insurrection were the Eleventh U.S. Volunteer Cavalry and the Twenty-sixth through Forty-ninth U.S. Volunteer Infantry. African Americans served in the Forty-eighth and Forty-ninth U.S. Volunteer Infantry.

Ddean? Searchmeister?

Steve

[Rob,
I wouldn't hesitate to use this one.....once or twice. It's really stout, but I'd hate to hurt a blade more than 100 years old. Well, not the blade itself, but I could see some issues developing with the hilt, even though it feels solid.
/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. I don't own any collector blades (yet), but I'm sure it will take discipline to not try them out. Of course a watermelon couldn't hurt anything right?;) :D

Steve, if you weren't such a nice guy, I would hate you. Damn, what a find. Congratulations.

This makes morer sense. 27th Infantry, U.S. Volunteers arrived in Manila on October 27, 1899, and fought extensively in Luzon.

Back