1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heirloom knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by longbeard4, Jan 12, 2018.

1. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Exactly. See above.

2. Pilsner

Pilsner Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2017
    We are very much singing from the same hymn sheet, I think.

I do have the king of made up acronyms to thank for now owning a Sterkh-1, but other than that - meh.

marcinek likes this.
  3. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Is this a term he's trying to make mainstream like his "philosophy of use" nonsense? I've got a Microtech Mini SOCOM auto that has sentimental value, but the use it shows is all mine. I also have a knife that was my grandfather's, and it has what would be appropriately called "generational wear". I also have old knives with wear but no sentimental value, which I wouldn't say has "generational wear" because nobody else in my family owned or used it.

I just like the phrase as a descriptor. If it's supposed to be a term to applied to any old knife, or any knife with sentimental value, then I agree with what you're getting at. But if I saw a knife that someone posted that was on old knife that their great uncle used back on the family farm, saying "that knife has some nice generation wear" makes a hell of a lot more sense then saying "your knife has some nice sentimental value in the blade patina".

fkctrjt121 and shinyedges like this.
  4. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    You have accidentally stumbled upon an admittedly unusual codicil in my will.

My collection of skid-marked underwear must be preserved for posterity...

19-3ben and Mecha like this.
  5. danbot

danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Generational skids!:D

6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Well i can’t argue with that. I shouldn’t make such broad statements.

7. longbeard4

longbeard4

Sep 24, 2015
    Sentimental value could be anything to me tho, a car that my grandfather never drove, but sat in his garage, has sentimental value to me. To each his own, if that’s what you want to call it, go for it. But generational wear to me means the marks and dings someone actually put on it, the almost signature of their work. The reason I was trying to think of the term is my brother recently passed away at 39. He had a benchmade knife that his wife said was all beat up and worthless. I was telling her that because it was beat up, it made it priceless to me. If the knife was pristine, it would have sentimental values to me, just because he owned it, but because it has wear, it makes it priceless, and in my book, there is a difference. Oh, and this has nothing to do with the like or dislike of Nutnfancy, I had just heard him use that term and liked the way it described what I was trying to explain.

fkctrjt121, Cereal_killer and Pilsner like this.
  8. longbeard4

longbeard4

Sep 24, 2015
    I remember why I don’t post to forums much. Always someone that is smarter and better than you. Thanks for pointing this out.

Pilsner likes this.
  9. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    That's cool. But I'm struck by the fact your grandfather served in Vietnam. My grandfathers served in WW1 and my dad in WW2. My oldest brother's peers are who served in Vietnam.

longbeard4 likes this.
  10. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    I apologise for focusing on the Nutnfancy aspect, it’s actually a good term, ‘generational wear’, and I see what you are saying.

Your account of discussing your brother’s knife with his widow is very poignant, and I would feel just the same, for the same reasons, about such an item. Sincere condolences for your loss.

fkctrjt121 and longbeard4 like this.
  11. longbeard4

longbeard4

Sep 24, 2015
    Appreciate it. Been tough for sure. But I just had that term in my head and couldn’t think of it when I was talking to his wife, that was the only reason for my post. Would love to see others knives that have sentimental value, even ones with generational wear! Ha

Pilsner likes this.
  12. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    My maternal grandfather was the sort of chap who carried a pen knife, as we used to call any slip joint folding knife, and he and my grandmother once brought me back an exquisite little knife with engraved handles, from their travels. I remember thinking the handle was black and gold, but of course it was black and brass!

I dropped it in the woods by their house one summer, and I searched for days and days. Every time I’d visit them in Scotland, right up to a few years ago when my grandmother died and we sold the house and land, I would keep an eye out in the woods for that knife. Thirty five years later. I suppose I must resign myself to it being enjoyed by the faeries.

My grandmother was very unsentimental, so much of my grandfather’s possessions were thrown away. I guess I am the one who will be passing knives down to my three children: lots of knives!

Mecha, fkctrjt121 and longbeard4 like this.
  13. longbeard4

longbeard4

Sep 24, 2015
    I have three little CRKT knives with me. I am currently deployed to Iraq. I look at those cheap little knives and think, one day, I wonder if my kids will treasure those knives more than my Chris Reeve I have back home? Funny how that works isn’t it. I bet you would give anything for that knife back, or the one your grandfather carried.

fkctrjt121 and Pilsner like this.
  14. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    You are absolutely right. Stay safe out there, and I can guarantee that your kids will treasure those CRKT knives over any other knife, no matter how beautiful. It’s the generational wear that does it, particularly when that wear was sustained on active service. :)

fkctrjt121 and longbeard4 like this.
  15. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Nut and Fancy

16. fkctrjt121

fkctrjt121 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I think the good thing about the knives we pass down is that even our users are still going to be decent knives.
    I have a couple of my grandads knives that he always had with him and that i fondled and admired so much as a child staying with him.
    When he died a few years ago i received them and i love them for what they mean to me but there not very good knives and so i cant use them. I'd love to have one as a user.
    My issue now having three sons is having enough users for them to all inherit one with enough of me impregnated in it:)

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    No need to try and get others to use his terms, he can use them in his videos and if others copy them that's fine.

I call things like this history.
    It's origins don't have to be specified , it's the history of the knife no matter who made it.

19-3ben likes this.