Heirlooms. Pic heavy.

Jackknife got me thinking with his last tale, and I thought back to my own precious pieces, given by those long gone and treasured.

First that came to mind was my grandfather. Scoutmaster for about 40 years, 4 National Jamborees, he made it long enough to see both sons and 4 of his grandsons finish Eagle. He passed on in 2005, but I still have a few snips to remember him by.

DSC_0046-1-1.jpg

That Handbook was given to me back when I turned 8 and got serious about Scouting. I'd read it cover to cover by the time I graduated up to the Boy Scouts, and it's still the yardstick by which I measure all Scout Handbooks. There's something timeless there, from the Rockwell illustrations to the descriptions that pulled no punches, merely said what needed said. The modern Handbooks pale in comparison- my last copy was a 2000ish one, and it isn't fit to hold up the 65's kneesocks.

Look close, you can even see the price tag from 1965.
DSC_0048.jpg

The Marble's there is a patent 1916, just like Grandpa. ;) I found it under the seat of his Mercury after he passed on, and it was in sad shape. Apparently, it had been put there as an emergency knife, and water had gotten to it. It looked really rough with the stag molding, the washers rotting and the blade thoroughly beaten, but a little restoration has brought it back. In summer 2006, it returned to those hills for another run through the oaks. It'll still whittle and work meat like a champion, and Lord only knows how many deer that dressed.

The watch was a graduation gift in 1936, and the knife came a few years later. It was his grandfather's, courtesy of E. Felsenheld of New York. Levine's Guide dates the mark to circa 1900, and considering that Grandpa's grandfather passed in 1907, that fits. The master blade is worn, the spey has been reshaped into a pipe reamer/scraper, and the jigging is worn smooth. Grandpa gave it to me the last time I saw him actually home, with the admonition to never sell it.

Given the history, I wish it could talk. Sell it? It would be the last knife I own. Some things are more precious than money.

Good stuff, S & S... :thumbup::cool:

I wish I still had some of the knives that my grandfather gave me before he passed in 1962. Fortunately I still have his pocket watch (which belonged to his father before him) and many of his hand tools and musical instruments.

Those old knives would be icing on the cake but I lost them all many a year ago.

Thanks for sharing some precious memories.

Thanks for sharing this great story!
I love his kind of pictures you made and shure your grandfather would be happy to see his Marbles in great shape again :)

Regards
surfer

Wonderful to have heirlooms.
They hold great significance.

I am lucky to have my Grandfather's fountain pens, two Parker 51s from the 1950s.

Four great heirlooms. They really tell the story of what was important to your grandfather.

I'm lucky enough to have my grandfather's pocketknife (Henckels), my great-grandfather's rip saw (Henry Diston), and when my mother passes (which I hope will not be for a very long time), my grandfather's Martin ukulele will pass along to me. Each of these tells the story of what was important to these men.

Sword&Shield, I'm deeply impressed by that pocket knife of your ancestors,the feelings&history connected to it and it's a very elegant beautiful knife too:thumbup: It must be a honour to own it.

I'm not surprised you wouldn't counternance selling it, a lot of things are worth more than any money:loyalty,authenticity and good health.

Very nice knives!

With that family history, both knives should be carried afield now and then. You never can tell when you may need the old mans guidence.:thumbup:

The only reason I don't carry the Marble's more often is a lack of sheath. A sheath from a Western W66 will just fit, but I can feel the blade digging into the leather when I put it in. I'd love to find a button-strap Marble's sheath to match it, or at least a reproduction.

As for the folder, it does get carried every so often. The last was the day of my raising as a Master Mason, which seemed pretty appropriate, given his history there. :)

Back