Hello all I’m the new guy

Hello all. Found this site and wanted to get info of my knife I been carrying around since I bought it new from Benchmade in Oregon City. I bought a Foray Gold edition 698-181. It’s been a fantastic knife and just wondering why they stopped making it.

Hi, and welcome. I don't have a real answer (I expect our resident experts will come along shortly to fill us both in), but I suspect that, like most products, it was dumped when it was no longer profitable enough. At that size, it likely competed against a number of similar knives in their product line, and if those pulled in more sales, there likely wasn't a reason to keep the Foray in production.

Greetings, PewPewpugh. Welcome to the forums. In regards to your question, Benchmade does their Gold Class knives in limited editions. That's part of the draw of the Gold Class versions. Now, if you're asking more broadly about the Foray models being discontinued, I do not know for sure but I would venture to guess that it was purely market driven. My guess is the demand was not high enough to drive the manufacturing of it. Great looking knife, though in either Gold Class or the basic model.

Benchmade has killed off a ton of really great models over the years. It definitely leaves me scratching my head but, again, it's all market driven. If I were emperor of Benchmade, we would have back the 710, AFCK, and the Ares... I'm sure I could think of more if I thought about it long enough.

The 698-181 was a limited Gold Class edition that was only produced for 2018. There is usually a year long Gold class that is "unlimited" in qty for that given year.

Back