Hello everyone

I have been having a heck of a time trying to post over at the Swamp but with no success...ERRRR.

I have logged in over there but for some damn reason I cant post,I dont use AOL,I have tried three times to register under a different name..NO LUCK.

Anyway to all the folks that showed me a welcome..Thank you for that welcome.
T1mpani I have had a Camp Tramp for about 2 years I think,My Camp Tramp gets the dirty jobs,you know the ones that you would just make the hair on the back of your neck stand up LOL.My Fehrman gets used when im camping, hiking and hunting.My CT gets used for chores around the house and when im out off roading with my buddies....Eric knows what has happend to my Camp Tramp and its on its way to the Swamp for them to take a look.

I think that I put the Camp Tramp through the hardest test its seen since being introduced.It wasnt a "lets see if it can do this"It was a last resort type thing that basically saved me and a friends ass before problems got REAL BAD.

As soon as I feel better and my head clears and I hear back from the Swamp I will fill you all in on what had happend,I will say this "I dont think there is factory blade for 128 bucks that would have survived".I know my Fehrman would have and my Busse Battle Mistress would have but there is no way a KABAR or Coldsteel or any factory made knife could of survived that mess,either they would have snapped in two or they would have crumbled.
I will say this,If you ever have to cut yourself out of a Airplane or a car or truck your Swamp Rat will get you out,It might look like CHIT and not slice anything ever again but you will be alive to talk about it,and Swamp Rat/Eric has been very helpful through this.

Eric deserves a raise:) He has been a big help with any problems I have had and has gave answers to all questions that I have had,I would buy him a beer anytime.

Oh yeah what ever Swamp Rat makes there handles out of,That stuff is STRONG,I had to beat on that handle with a sharp and jagged rock for about 35 minutes and it held up great...
Thanks for listening,
Featherstone

I hope everything turned out okay, and I look forward to hearing the story! :eek:

I guess I don't actually need to welcome you to Swamp Rat knives, then. Hope you manage to get in over at the other Nest--we do enjoy ourselves there--but at least there's one that isn't giving you any problems.

Whatever happened, I bet the Rats can make it slice again. Take care, and do fill us in when you can.
:)

Hey Featherstone! Good to hear from you again, I hope no permanent damage was inflicted on you and company.:eek: Take care and heal up and give me a holler sometime when your feeling better. btw that knife you sold me is still getting regular handling and sparkles like new from all the drool!:D

Featherstone,
I'm glad you're at least able to post over here. I look forward to seeing the CT and I'm glad you had it when you needed it.

:D:D

Hello all,

Leatherman how are ya buddy?Im glade that blade is serving you well and I hope it brings you and your family years and years of joy.

Hi Eric,
You got that right,If I didnt have it then I would have been up chit creek with no paddle,It was getting really cold and I had no choice...
The Swamp should be getting the Camp Tramp tomorrow,I sent it priority mail on Friday so it should get there by then.

I appreciate all your help,
Featherstone

First I want to say that I just got a email from Eric and he said they got the Camp Tramp,Eric if you would like to post pictures of that bad boy that would be cool.

How the CT saved our butts,

Me and a very good friend were 4x4 ing up in the hills about 25 miles from any house or town,My buddy saw this very STEEP hill and decided he wanted to try going up we made it about 3/4 of the way up when we started to go side ways:eek: anyone who has been off roading knows that when you go sideways on a very steep hill etc it means OH CHIT moment,Luckily my buddy got it somewhat under control.

He tried backing down when all of a suddon he lost control and we went side over side and front over back about 12-15 times:confused:The cab held up pretty good but at the final roll it crushed and we had no real room to move...(thank god for seat belts)My head was ringing and I was very dizzy,it had taken me about 15 minutes I guess to try and get my head straight.

We tried the cell phones but of course no reception,my buddy was bleeding from the nose and had a big lump on his head and so did I,The sun started to fall and it was getting cold in that canyon,nobody was expecting us until the next day.
We started yelling for help and then yelling at each other LOL,We both kept saying "How in the hell are we going to get out of here".
Then I remember I had the CT,I didnt have much room to work with,I dug up a rock that was underneath me and used that rock to pound the CT into the door,I did this until I had half of a square but realized it was taking to damn long.....P.S CMG Ultra infinty was priceless,.......What I did next was stab through the roof and cut a large piece away so that I could dig a hole,as I did this I would pass the dirt to my friend and he would push it out a small opening.

All this time he kept saying...."That knife is going to brake Ryan"..What does he know,is what I thought.As I dug a hole I ran into the "ig rocks"that we all love so much.Lucky for me I had enough room now to move around and get some quicker work done on that door.Now things were looking better,and the CT went to work,with the room I had I could now use a good chopping motion and it was much quicker,I would chop and bend the metal back to give the blade more room so it wouldnt get stuck,I think this is where the chipping started is when I would chop down and then try and bend the metal,this is bad on some knives in wood but here I was doing it to a door of a vehicle:eek:

First I want to say that I just got a email from Eric and he said they got the Camp Tramp,Eric if you would like to post pictures of that bad boy that would be cool.

How the CT saved our butts,

Me and a very good friend were 4x4 ing up in the hills about 25 miles from any house or town,My buddy saw this very STEEP hill and decided he wanted to try going up we made it about 3/4 of the way up when we started to go side ways:eek: anyone who has been off roading knows that when you go sideways on a very steep hill etc it means OH CHIT moment,Luckily my buddy got it somewhat under control.

He tried backing down when all of a suddon he lost control and we went side over side and front over back about 12-15 times:confused:The cab held up pretty good but at the final roll it crushed and we had no real room to move...(thank god for seat belts)My head was ringing and I was very dizzy,it had taken me about 15 minutes I guess to try and get my head straight.

We tried the cell phones but of course no reception,my buddy was bleeding from the nose and had a big lump on his head and so did I,The sun started to fall and it was getting cold in that canyon,nobody was expecting us until the next day.
We started yelling for help and then yelling at each other LOL,We both kept saying "How in the hell are we going to get out of here".
Then I remember I had the CT,I didnt have much room to work with,I dug up a rock that was underneath me and used that rock to pound the CT into the door,I did this until I had half of a square but realized it was taking to damn long.....P.S CMG Ultra infinty was priceless,.......What I did next was stab through the roof and cut a large piece away so that I could dig a hole,as I did this I would pass the dirt to my friend and he would push it out a small opening.

All this time he kept saying...."That knife is going to brake Ryan"..What does he know,is what I thought.As I dug a hole I ran into the "ig rocks"that we all love so much.Lucky for me I had enough room now to move around and get some quicker work done on that door.Now things were looking better,and the CT went to work,with the room I had I could now use a good chopping motion and it was much quicker,I would chop and bend the metal back to give the blade more room so it wouldnt get stuck,I think this is where the chipping started is when I would chop down and then try and bend the metal,this is bad on some knives in wood but here I was doing it to a door of a vehicle:eek:

The hardest part to get through was where the door ends,Right where the window comes out of the door,I tried to kick it out was I was in no shape to do that so I gave up trying and figured I did this much I only need aboyut a total of 4 inches to go,Well that was a kick in the butt to get those 4 inches but the CT got through it,To be honest I was suprised once we were free at how well the CT had held up.My buddy kept saying I cant believe that knife cut us out of there,I just stayed quiet and thought about what the CT just did without falling apart.
What really suprised me was the handle,people can say all they want about rubber handles......But the Swamp Rat handle was STRONG,I beat on that handle for a long time with a sharp and jagged rock and it held up great with barely any wear on the butt of the handle.

Im very glad I had the CT with me,as I was not going to bring a blade,except a pocket knife,along on the trip but something said bring the CT just in case and let me say she saved the day.

Im sure there is more but im still a little foggy which the Doc said that is normal and it will take some time for the brain to heal,I told him the thing didnt work right to begin with LOL.

P.S The hike we had was no joke,about 7 miles until the phone worked and got a signal,Oh yeah we had to wait about an hour and a half for help to arrive:mad: And the CT still chopped up some decent size dead branches to make a fire and dug a small fire hole...

Thank you Swamp Rat for making a blade that the working man can afford and not kill the pocket yet still be strong enough that you can trust your life to it.
I just hope to god I never have to go through anything like that again.
I always felt that in the production knife market there wasnt really much of a difference in strength etc...I WAS WRONG Swamp Rat knives are the strongest production knife I have ever used,Ive used some blades from well known production companies and they have failed doing much much much less.
Sorry for the long post,but I said I would tell how the CT played the largest part in my first real survival situation and how it saved the day.
P.S Again the little CMG Ultra Infinity light was HUGE in helping us with the light we needed to see while being stuck and trying to get out to finding our way back to a safe zone to get help.

Thanks for listening,and sorry for any (SIC)in this post
Ryan AKA Featherstone

Ryan, Glad you guys made it out okay. Give yourself time to heal up well - don't hurry it. Let your body repair itself at its own pace. Thanks for giving us the skinny on what happened. Guess that Camp Tramp and bombproof little LED light qualify as your best buddies after that ordeal.

Good story Ryan. I had a similar scene in an offroading excursion wth a steep hill. I was able to keep my truck backing down the hill from going sideways and thus rolling. Lucky I guess. Good you guys weren't hurt bad.
Great story. Hope you never get to use your CT again:D

Wow! Increadable story. Glad you had that knife with you. :) Heal fast. God Bless.

Very interesting Ryan,
The best part is that both of you got out of alive and relatively unscathed.
Also thanks goes to the Camp tramp that was instrumental I freeing the both of you.
Ian.

Thanks for the get well wishes guys,

Im already missing my CT:( Im going camping in little over a week and I know it wont be back by then...Calgon take me away:D

If any of you gents wouldnt mind,

Im having problems posting at Rat Chat over at the swamp,could someone here copy and paste my post over there so the members there can read it also.I want people to realize what a great knife they have invested there money into,Im sure they already know but just incase they have a doubt on what there blades can do in a bad situation they can rest easy that they will not fail.

Also my blade didnt fail,because of the damage that it had recieved,Swamp Rat being the great company they are, is going to replace it.........Two thumbs up for the Swamp...

P.S Does Swamp Rat have T-shirts that can be bought?

That was quite a story! Hope you heal up quickly, and hope the Rat is salvageable. I mean hey, I know they're warrantied for replacement, but if it can be saved it'll have a great war story behind it!

Take care and worry not--this or some other Tramp will be on its eager way back to you in no time. :)

Ryan,
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure glad the CT was with you and you were able to use it as you did.

I'll be posting some pics of the knife and it is not nearly as bad as I expected.

Most importantly I'm glad you and your friend were able to walk away from this.

:D:D

Here's the pic of the CT

FeatherstonesCampTramp.jpg

Not too bad for cutting through a truck :D:D

Back