Hell's belle Vs Laredo

I was looking at the ontario and the cold steel and was wondering if anybody had experience with both of these knives, and could provide a comparison... I searched the archives but didnt really come up with any side-by-sides. Price is about the same, but how do the blades, sheaths, handles, quality compare? Thanks

Larry,

I've got experience with both, understand a little bit about fighting techniques with the Bowie, and these are two of the best production fighters in this catagory. The Belle is lighter and faster, while the Laredo hits with a little more authority, and both have the requisite sharpened false edge for backcutting. Both have coffin handles (good), but the Ontario handles also sport Bagwells studs, which are actually index points, not ornamentation. Both leather sheaths are essentially the same except for color - Ontario, black: Cold Steel, brown - and they are the stud (or "frog") type, where the sheath is put behind the belt, with the stud preventing it from falling below belt level. This is an incedibly versatile carry that also offers outstanding concealment when worn IWB. If you are serious about carrying one however, you'd be advised to "cap" the sheath tip or have one made from Concealex or kydex. Being a little lighter, the OTB carries slightly better and hugs my body type more closely, The CS is carbon, the Ontario stainless. The Laredo is the best all around (do everything) Bowie, but the Ontario Hell's Belle is the better pure fighter. That's where the choice is - how you intend to use it.

Originally posted by Mike Sastre
The CS is carbon, the Ontario stainless. The Laredo is the best all around (do everything) Bowie, but the Ontario Hell's Belle is the better pure fighter. That's where the choice is - how you intend to use it.

So, stainless Vs. Carbon, or "QS13" Vs. "CarbonV" man, I hate this proprietary stuff! So I was doing some research on these 2 steels, ans seems like the QS13 is a pretty soft 440C which affects edge-holding, but trades it for toughness... RC being low-50's... how does the CarbonV compare with this? I like the style of the HB, but I would also like a functional blade that doesnt have to be sharpened too often, but then again, I'm too lazy to deal with rust... if that is a factor with a carbon steel... I know that the balance on the HB is great, being an inch or so in front of the handle, but how is the laredo's? thanks for the input!

I think that the Helle's Belle was intended to be THE repro figher, meaning fighting knife only. I've had a chance to handle both, but since I don't do the whole knife dueling thing I'd go for the Laredo;).

Carbon steel really isn't that hard to maintain, wipe it with oil, periodically check on it and it'll be fine. Some carbon steel knives that I own are only checked closely maybe three times a year but I've never had a bad rust problem. As long as they aren't stored in their sheaths while wet.

For the prices I've seen, on the Laredo at least, I would go for something from an up-and-coming smith. Carbon V is good, but the fit and finish and sheath of the Laredo all leave much to be desired for a knife at that price.

John

Originally posted by John Frankl
For the prices I've seen, on the Laredo at least, I would go for something from an up-and-coming smith. Carbon V is good, but the fit and finish and sheath of the Laredo all leave much to be desired for a knife at that price.

John

What "price"? You can easily get a Laredo for not much over $200. Is that the price you're referring to??

if you want a fighting bowie(self-defense)go for the Hells Bells!if you want a working bowie(catch-all)go for the cold steel blade!the Hells Bells go for 169.00 on the web.dont know how much the Laredo goes for?your choice,so pick a blade and be happy with it.if you do go with the Hells Bells,dont use it for a workhorse.not made for that kind of use!it could stand up to hard use,but to do so takes away from what the knife was made for.

Originally posted by bladefighter
the Hells Bells go for 169.00 on the web.

I've been looking around and haven't been able to find it for less than $200. Can you point me to a less expensive site?

--Bob Q

Back