Helm Forge tomahawk vs. Winkler RnD/Tracker Dan Graymatter

If you're planning on taking a Sayoc style front spike hawk and hacking wood, your just begging for the spike to break off. It't a very small piece of steel that is going to be receiving a huge amount of force when you chop. I think you really need to back off and really think about what you want/need from this tool.

Hey guys, so I currently own a Helm Forge Wrecker 'hawk, the 12" model in OD with the pry spike and sharpened beard, and lately have been considering jumping up for a higher end 'hawk. The grip and weight distribution for the Wrecker just isn't for me, and I feel the spike is a bit too exposed for my liking. Anyways, I am intrigued by both the Tracker Dan and Winkler tomahawks, and was curious if anyone who owns both could comment on the benefits of these two higher end tomahawks over the Wrecker. Do you think it's worth spending the extra $800 or so for a new one, or possibly even selling my current 'hawk to fund?

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Obviously it's hard to beat a Winkler or Graymatter hawk, but I just wanted an idea of what the extra cash is buying me and if you can really feel the difference. Thanks!
I thought you ordered a Winkler a couple of years ago after researching the different models? I feel the popular full tang hawks are poor bushcraft tools and are pressed into that role because people like them imo. I would go with a traditional hawk for the woods use then you could decide if you want a compact fighter or breacher model for your other needs.

I thought you ordered a Winkler a couple of years ago after researching the different models? I feel the popular full tang hawks are poor bushcraft tools and are pressed into that role because people like them imo. I would go with a traditional hawk for the woods use then you could decide if you want a compact fighter or breacher model for your other needs.

I have ordered and then proceeded to change or cancel my order a few times. Guess I can't really make up my mind. :foot: I do agree that traditional hawks are better for woodwork, and honestly I'll probably keep the Storm Crow for camping or general utility, buy a Winkler for actually learning to use effectively, and buy a traditional hawk for actual bushcraft.

This, like most discussions of the tomahawk on the web is nonsense. The Helm is a great tomahawk and the only one mentioned in this thread with a sharpened beard. The others are more of a headhunter axe and not designed to be used for breaching. Breaching/escaping is the only reason any modern warfighter would carry a tomahawk. Otherwise they would carry more food, water or ammo. Try trekking your weak butt over mountainous terrain in the Middle East with a 70 lbs. or more ruck on your back.
Take you Sayoc or Graymatter Tomahawk and hit a pig, dear or cow skull, full force. Now once it is embedded in the skull, how are you going to pull it out without a sharpened beard?
After you spend $800 on your Sayoc or Graymatter Tomahawk, let me use it to bash thru a cinderblock wall. I will return to you what's left. For those in the above thread that claim to study Kali or Silat. Go find a good PTK teacher and learn how to swing your hawk. Then we can talk.

This, like most discussions of the tomahawk on the web is nonsense. The Helm is a great tomahawk and the only one mentioned in this thread with a sharpened beard. The others are more of a headhunter axe and not designed to be used for breaching. Breaching/escaping is the only reason any modern warfighter would carry a tomahawk. Otherwise they would carry more food, water or ammo. Try trekking your weak butt over mountainous terrain in the Middle East with a 70 lbs. or more ruck on your back.
Take you Sayoc or Graymatter Tomahawk and hit a pig, dear or cow skull, full force. Now once it is embedded in the skull, how are you going to pull it out without a sharpened beard?
After you spend $800 on your Sayoc or Graymatter Tomahawk, let me use it to bash thru a cinderblock wall. I will return to you what's left. For those in the above thread that claim to study Kali or Silat. Go find a good PTK teacher and learn how to swing your hawk. Then we can talk.
You resurrected a thread to say that? Awesome. I was wondering why there wasn't an argument on the first page and then saw it was from 2014. Scrolled through to find 2017 and boom, there you were. Props for not repeating the "you should restore an old American axe cuz they're better" BS that seems to be the new mantra of this subforum. LOL :D

All are good hawks. I've owned all mentioned by the OP and I've owned 4 different Helm Grind hawks alone and I highly recommend James.

For the money, I just dont see how you improve on Helm. His designs are very well thought out and I've beat the living snot out of a couple and they hold up extremely well to intentional abuse. The only thing id like to see from James Helm is something 3/8's thick.

I love my Winklers, don't get me wrong but I collect hawks. Any of the makers mentioned build top notch stuff but don't be fooled by the price comparison. James Helm is offering an incredible hawk at an incredible value and for a tool, its a no brainer unless you are collecting.

The Wrecker looks like a great hawk. My only tomahawk experience is with the RMJ Mini Jenny Wren. The kydex sheath is what makes the package. The sheath makes it so I can carry the hawk with ease and deploy quickly. I choose to let it hang off my belt with the short snap loops. It flexes out of the way when sitting or getting in/out of vehicles. My advice when choosing a tool, make sure you can get a good sheath.

Back