Help Axe Nerds

PenguinsRcool2

Gold Member
I am looking for a camp hatchet and have no idea what I’m looking for. Mainly to be used for splitting, chopping smaller wood. Occasional hammering for tent stakes and such. Dont really Have a budget in mind but under 100 would be preferred. Any suggestions?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
The Vaughan & Bushnell has better steel, but no hardened poll and honestly the Flying fox seems like a great tool which I've been meaning to get eventually.

I would definitely select special grade and add the sheath offered, it won't be the cheapest option out there but will get to your door for under $100 for sure.

If you think knowing about axes makes you a nerd then what makes you tough?Surely it’s not taking the time to learn what makes things work it’s reading about the latest aiming device for a pussified shooting implement.I like the flying fox also just tried to order one of them Vaughn’s and with the shipping and the tax this thief of a state put on line purchases it’s was 44 bucks still a good deal though will probably buy it anyways

EngrSorenson

Gold Member
There is something to be said for being able to walk into any hardware store and buy a replacement handle. Vaughan would be my choice.
That's true, but hardware stores carrying spare hatchet handles is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
I have to order mine online.

Also, I don't think hatchet handles need replacement as often as axe handles.

PenguinsRcool2

Gold Member
The Vaughan & Bushnell has better steel, but no hardened poll and honestly the Flying fox seems like a great tool which I've been meaning to get eventually.

I would definitely select special grade and add the sheath offered, it won't be the cheapest option out there but will get to your door for under $100 for sure.
I think im going to make a sheathe for it i have made a few with some success 👍

PenguinsRcool2

Gold Member
That's true, but hardware stores carrying spare hatchet handles is quickly becoming a thing of the past.
I have to order mine online.

Also, I don't think hatchet handles need replacement as often as axe handles.
I will probably never need to replace the handle on a hatchet its 16” long and more than likely will never break. I have a log splitter and chainsaw at home lol. This is just for camping

Estwing Fireside Friend. More of a short handled 4lb maul, it splits nicely and will handle the hammering tasks.